Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Figurative Sculpture (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Flood Plain Stalker (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=11604)

scrapartoz 11-03-2013 03:57 AM

Flood Plain Stalker

We had 2 serious floods a while back and with them we got 1000's of unexpected visitors. I made this crane to remember something positive about the floods. it is 7 foot high.

Robson Valley 11-03-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Flood Plain Stalker

"How high's the water, Mama?"

Are those the birds that can walk around on Lily pads? Sleek form.
You've held a moment of motion. Something I quite admire.
I can imagine that they had quite the feed on high ground.

raspero 11-03-2013 05:44 PM

You are a miracle worker with scrap. You somehow make it look as though the scrap was custom made for your piece.

Richard

scrapartoz 11-04-2013 01:50 AM

Thank you Robson and Raspero

These birds are amazing to watch, whilst on the ground they stalk through the shallows and find a spot for the food to come to them . I saw one spend all day over a narrow (6") stream of water eating small crustaceans and fish fingerling as they passed the bird .These birds stand 3 foot high so cant stand on lilly pads ... a bit heavy for that .
..........But in the air they are the most elegant flyers I have seen . Their wing ratio to body is like that of an albatross so they can glide at very low speed .they land like a ballet dancer with precision and poise almost in slow motion............a. magnificent treat for the observer.

Richard .......Yes the scrap pieces are very close to spec. I found the wing pieces first . They are such a beautiful shape . that gave me the scale of the remaining parts to search for . The digits on the feet are a bit big but such a
interesting shape.... so I had to use them . The neck pieces were a good find also they are the "Ripper" shanks off a road grader, the natural wear pattern from their use followed the irregularities of the neck very well i think .

The Forge 11-04-2013 01:58 PM

Great sculpture.

GarryRicketson 11-04-2013 11:09 PM

I like that too, it really does have the "form", as said, it looks like the peices were made for it,..they are beuatiful birds in real life too.

scrapartoz 11-07-2013 03:11 AM

Thank you Forge and Garry.

Dries 11-07-2013 08:49 AM

Another great sculpture.

scrapartoz 11-12-2013 02:34 AM

Thank you Dries

nosarajr 12-05-2013 02:49 PM

Very nice piece, I would not have junk in the photo with it.

scrapartoz 01-22-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosarajr (Post 105375)
Very nice piece, I would not have junk in the photo with it.

Thank you Nosarajir ! That is not junk they are uncut diamonds.