Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Sculpture focus topics (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Are Social Networks Any Good? (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=7984)

tonofelephant 07-14-2008 08:39 AM

Are Social Networks Any Good?

Was curious if anyone has had success with Facebook, ZoomedIn, Linkedin, or any other networking site.

Or is this an opiate to keep people from getting out and doing other things like smelling the roses and visiting galleries and artists studios to buy art?

I realize that Facebook, etal is different in purpose and design from ZoomedIn. Different audiences, different interests, and skewing younger.

Carl

ironman 07-14-2008 10:06 AM

Re: Are Social Networks Any Good?

Hi, there's nothing like pounding the pavement instead of the computer keyboard to make connections with galleries. Get yourself out there physically and become known to the gallery owners. Go to openings.
That's how you get your work shown.
It's always good to have a CD and/or a 5 1/2" x 8" card with photos of your work to hand out
Have a great day,
Jeff

tonofelephant 07-14-2008 10:43 AM

Jeff, Already pound the pavement for galleries and clients. What I am wondering is if there is any merit to the social networking phenoma that can be translated into sales for a sculptor.

Just to widen the net from Facebook, Linked In, etc also need to add Youtube.

Carl

ironman 07-15-2008 10:27 AM

Hi Carl, I don't know as I don't bother with any of that facebook, linkedin or utube stuff. All of my social networking is done in person.
When it comes to communication, I love to talk to people, meet new people, etc. and in real life. I could never live in the middle of nowhere and after a day alone in my studio, I go into town, have a drink or a double espresso and talk to friends and strangers.
So I'm probably the wrong one to answer any further than I did.
Have a great day,
Jeff

LimeCutter 07-15-2008 11:17 AM

You are already using a form of online networking by using this forum. You have to use the communication channels that suit you. If you have a good video of your sculptures or sculpting or whatever you can post it to youtube. You could also embed that youtube video in your own website.

Facebook allows you to stay in contact with friends or groups. It can be used as a notice board or event organiser/invitation platform. Using it doesn't have to stop you going out and meeting people for real, just as using this forum doesn't stop you meeting people.

As for getting direct sales - I doubt that facebook in itself will do that for you. What it can do is help you to raise your profile and therefore indirectly (potentially) get sales through the accumulative effect of being part of it and many other social groups and networks.

I think you have to have the incliniation to use facebook and frankly I find it an excerise in procrastination. I have a greater inclination towards blogging but only do this once ot twice a month. It adds a more personal element to my website (an small insight into me as an artist).

How did you envisage using social networking for sales?

Let us know if you decide to start using them.

obseq 07-23-2008 10:47 PM

As I've mentioned here in the past, I'm certainly not one for the usual suspects of social networking: Myspace, Facebook, et, but once my website is completed, I am considering augmenting its reach via a Flickr account under my name with the same images of my work; perhaps including process pics as well.

From what I can tell, there are are little to no "messaging" capabilities on Flickr, aside from commenting, directly, to the individual images posted.

Aaron Schroeder 07-24-2008 03:54 AM

The nice thing about Flickr is ease of use. Changing a web page takes work. I'm adding a link to my web page along with instructions to use it. Flickr has a program you can download for free called the Flickr uploader, this tool enables you to drag and drop tons of images in short order. Flickr's not better than a web page but it's a nice informal format that's easy to use in addition to a web page. The best part is that it is free......and even better if you pay to go Pro. I like it.

Julianna 08-03-2008 10:35 AM

I find they're good if you understand their limitations and only try to use them for what they do best.

For example, I'm on Facebook and setup a "product page" there. I've even gotten a few "fans" who aren't my friends ;) It allows me to setup an event (which I use for open houses and exhibitions) so I can invite everyone to it and use it for advertising. I don't think it could ever completely replace all other methods of advertising, but I find that it helps.

Gallery/photosharing sites like MyArtSpace or Flickr are good for putting your art out there, but you still need to direct people to your page. I know many people who are frustrated that they haven't been discovered yet. Just remember that so many people are out there that you probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than being accidentally discovered!

I find that niche social networking sites like Twitter or MyArtSpace are great for finding your peers, but will probably have little effect for getting noticed. Chances are with micorblogging sites like Twitter, people won't follow your updates unless they already know who you are. Good for retention, not as much for recruitment.