Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Are you a "Lefty" or a "Righty"? (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=1141)

ironman 10-01-2004 09:39 AM

Are you a "Lefty" or a "Righty"?

Hi Boys & Girls, In the world of creativity there seems to be a lot of lefthanded people, more so than in the general population. I once took a drawing class with 18 people in it, 16 of them were lefthanded. We lefties are predominately "right brained", which is considered the creative side SO, I'd be curious as to how many lefties as opposed to righties we have out there in cyberspace and how you feel that affects your work?
I'm a lefty, and I approach my work on a more intuitive (right brain) than cerebral (left brain) level. One problem with that is trying to explain, in words, what one has wrought by a process that doesn't include any. David Smith said something to the effect that "there were no words in the doing so why should there be words in the explaining?"
Of course the left brain plays some role in all of this, but I think that role is minimal.
Any thoughts on this subject?
Have a great day,
Jeff :D

sculptor 10-01-2004 10:26 PM

Re: Are you a "Lefty" or a "Righty"?

curious subject Jeff
righty here
me mum, and son are lefties

I have superior abilities in spatial referencing
being
left brained by training and education
right brained by choice of activities(and maybe inherited talents)

I approach work in a slow methodical almost mathematical way----I plan the job then revise the plan then revise the revision proceeding with a critical eye until something begins to happen and the shapes and volumetric expressions of the material take over and the spatial referencing warms up the rightbrain activity----then, if I'm really lucky, conscious thought, words, selfdoubts, revisions and restraints cease as the hand and eye unite in a creative dance------Tempus fugit without me--I can become unaware of my body and let the work guide the hand---on a good day this can occur 2-3 times and last for 2-3 hrs at a time----on a bad day, not at all

my guess--------the left brain planning stage outlines the mission and sets parameters for the destination-----then the freedom operates within these constraints, and when it meanders outside the construct, something pops a switch, and I step back with a critical eye----if it cannot grasp an image of a problem, it fades and I'm back in the groove---conversely, if the work violated or exceeded the plan, the revision process returns---(at this stage, I suspect that the more active corpus colossum-of the female brain should be darned handy) ¿Are women really better at expressing their emotions in words? If so, would the same hold true for the art?
(My sculpting mentor, John Kroll was fond of calling me a victim of too much education.)
it's more fun and productive if the train stays on track and i ain't gotta worry about steering
whither hence-----is the mermaid Derceto, Astargatis(Astarte, ISIS) and Dagon's bride----how do fishfolk have sex?
Are all my female sculptures the varied faces of the same goddess---am i an instrument of her desire? Anyone know much about chainsaws?

rod
sculptor

WBK 10-02-2004 12:44 AM

I'm a right hander. However since I've been playing with stone, I've noticed I hold the chisel with my left hand and (try to) hit it with the hammer in my right. I hadn't considered that till just now.

A painter friend writes with his right and paints with his left.

Fish sex is fairly boring, I've seen it on a hot fish site.

Julianna 10-03-2004 10:44 AM

Like Bill, I'm right-handed hand tend to hold my chisel in my left. Personally, it's because I trust my right hand more when it comes to hurtling a heavy piece of metal towards another hand :D

Lately, though, I've been switching this (i.e. holding my chisel in my right hand and hammer in my left) when I do crude work so I don't end up with one muscular arm and one puny one.

Araich 10-03-2004 06:45 PM

Right-handed. But I use the mouse in my left.

sculptorsam 10-03-2004 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julianna
Lately, though, I've been switching this (i.e. holding my chisel in my right hand and hammer in my left) when I do crude work so I don't end up with one muscular arm and one puny one.

That's pure genius!

Righty here, but with just a bit more effort, I could be ambidexterous. I'm sure of it.

JAZ 10-03-2004 09:11 PM

Righty also. But lots of work is done with both.
And don't worry Julianna, with this kind of work there's not much chance either arm will be puny.

anne (bxl) 10-04-2004 06:34 PM

totally righty! too much cerebral? maybe.
I'll think about....

Roy 10-04-2004 08:43 PM

I'm right handed, but I know that I must be "lexdecksic" in my left brain. I'm a very slow reader, but if I cover my right eye, I can almost read normal. Foreign movies drive me crazy. I have to force myself to tear my eyes off the visual to read. When I'm doing art, I want no left brain, linear process like reading or even music with words. I listen to classical music.

obseq 10-10-2004 08:09 PM

I am a righty, although my parents have mentioned to me that as an infant, I almost exclusively favored my left hand.

On another note, the word, left, derives from Latin, meaning, sinister.

Good idea for a thread!

sculptor 10-11-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obseq
....On another note, the word, left, derives from Latin, meaning, sinister.

Good idea for a thread!

....and, I had thought LEFT was from the Anglo-Saxon lyft, left meaning weak or worthless............

whither(from AS. hwyder) hence?

sculptor

Blacksun 10-14-2004 05:32 PM

Right handed as well..... Hammer in the right, rasp in the right, torch in the right, modeling tools in the right, paintbrush in the right, pencil etc in the right, fork in the right.... looks like I would be damn near useless without my "good right hand".

I've made an informal poll of artist friends and acquaintances (United States / southeast in case there might be regional/cultural differences.... :confused: )..... seems 3D folks tend to be right handed and our 2D cousins tend to be lefties....

ironman 10-17-2004 10:11 AM

Hi, So far on this thread we have ONE lefty (me) and TEN righties. I'm surprised at that but as Blacksun's informal poll seems to suggest, it's the 2D people who are left handed. Maybe I should have stuck to painting, actually, I still paint now and then but consider myself a sculptor, first & foremost.
I hope other people respond to this thread.
GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a nice day,
Jeff

dblcorona 10-29-2004 07:19 PM

From reading the posts, alot of you say that you do some with the left. I guess I am right but am not really sure. I do so many things with my left that people think that I am left handed. I always wondered if I was changed when I started school. My mom said I would do everything with both. She alwaays said I was ambidexturous. What is weird is that my 4 1/2 yr old daughter is exactly the same way. When I have left handed welding students, its nothing for me to change hands for their demos. So was it natural or conditional?

ironman 10-29-2004 08:20 PM

Hi dblcorona, WOW, that's incredible. I didn't know that there were people who were born that way and maintained it into adulthood. Now if you can hit a curveball, I know of two major league teams (Cardinals & Yankees) that could use you as a switch hitter!
Have a nice day,
Jeff

sculptor 11-10-2004 06:37 PM

just a curiosity-bit of trivia I wanted to share

A number of Basque words were borrowed into local varieties of Spanish, including Castilian, but very few of these have survived. One which has survived is Castilian izquierdo `left (hand)', which is borrowed from the synonymous Basque ezker, or more precisely from an unrecorded Basque derivative *ezkerdo.

dblcorona-------a question of balance? I say---inherited-natural and then reinforced with conditioning-----and-----darned handy

Rod
(son and father of lefties)

obseq 11-15-2004 09:59 AM

Rod,

Great bit of information--thanks for posting it. I am definately a linguaphile, so it's really interesting to note your findings, especially since we both heard of differet etymological deviations for 'left.'

anne (bxl) 11-15-2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

I am definately a linguaphile

so you might be interrested to know about french :

> la droite = the right side/ tout droit = straight on / le droit = the laws / il est adroit = he is skilled (litterally : he is on right) / la dextérité (from latin and 18°century french "dextre" : droit) = skillfullness
> la gauche = the left side / il est maladroit-il est gauche = he is clumsy (litterally : he is bad on right-he is left) / like in latin and italian, in the 18°century french : senestre = left

So qualities are attibuted to righties and defaults to lefties.

obseq 11-16-2004 08:25 AM

Anne,

I am Québécois from Montréal, and grew up speaking French, English, and Arabic,(My father is Lebanese/Mother is Québécoise). When we moved to the states, the schools scared my parents into thinking that if we spoke French at home that my brother and I would fall far behind. As it is, my parents made an extra effort to make sure we were entirely adept in English since we were somewhat frowned upon. As I was educated in the U.S., I never had a chance to learn reading/writing in French all that well. It also doesn't help that I've been back home only twice in about 10 years due to different circumstances, so the only French I've been able to speak is by myself or on the rare occasion I see my parents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne (bxl)
so you might be interrested to know about french :

> la droite = the right side/ tout droit = straight on / le droit = the laws / il est adroit = he is skilled (litterally : he is on right) / la dextérité (from latin and 18°century french "dextre" : droit) = skillfullness
> la gauche = the left side / il est maladroit-il est gauche = he is clumsy (litterally : he is bad on right-he is left) / like in latin and italian, in the 18°century french : senestre = left

So qualities are attibuted to righties and defaults to lefties.

oddist 11-16-2004 09:42 AM

So, in a way, it has been determined here that lefties are 2D and righties are 3D...

In the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" there is an exersise where you copy a 2D picture that is displayed "upside down". For those unfamiliar with this exersise, this is supposed to throw off the logical interpretation of what is seen, therefore making it easier to copy.

Has anyone ever tried to "sculpt" upside down?

Do we need a book "Sculpting on the right side of the brain"?

obseq 11-16-2004 11:20 AM

After this informal sampling of the community, does anyone put much personal stock into what is said about the respective groups?

As Gerry mentioned above, 'lefties' are 2-D, and 'righties' are 3-D?

Vehement denial, anyone? ;)

JAZ 11-18-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

After this informal sampling of the community, does anyone put much personal stock into what is said about the respective groups?

As Gerry mentioned above, 'lefties' are 2-D, and 'righties' are 3-D?

Vehement denial, anyone? ;)

For many years I was 2D (children's book art and painting), then a number of years ago I becasme 3D when I discovered welding and other processes. But I've always been primarily right-handed. That may not be vehement, but...
JAZ

Morgen_K 05-08-2005 08:06 AM

I started out ambidextrous - grade school teacher made me pick a hand (why? dunno.. it was nice to switch when one hand got tired).. :cool:

I chose left at the insistance of my siblings - they said it was "more cool". I can still draw a pretty decent illustration with my right hand, but it gives me an actual headache. However I sculpt a bit with both still (tired hands again). ;)

iron ant 05-08-2005 11:21 AM

Another right handed sculptor,but I can mig left when the form does not give you a choice.I never tried to tig with the gun in my left hand,but I might try.Someone mentioned sculpting upside down,I figure I have welded in every position you can imagine,and not always by choice.I dont think I could smack the anvil holding the hammer with the left,now that would be tricky.

fritchie 05-08-2005 09:19 PM

Pretty wild thread, which I skipped for a long time. I was exclusively right-handed most of most life, but I’ve noticed that I do more work, in a natural way, with my left hand in sculpture. Mostly right, but left as well.

On another angle, I read somewhere when I was in my early teens, or maybe even earlier, that Leonardo da Vinci practiced “mirror writing”, writing backward so that the material read correctly in a mirror. I practiced this and got fairly good at it. I think I used exclusively with my right hand, but it might have been my left. I really don’t remember.

Anyone else try mirror writing?

And, on still another note: I read a couple of years ago that archeologists have concluded Europeans, at least, have become more right-handed over the last ten or so thousand years, from perhaps thirty percent then to about ten percent today. Any comment on this?