View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Level 10 user

Re: How do I “warrant” art for the long term?

This is indeed an interesting question, to which there is no set answer.
My mother has been a serious collector of art for over 50 years, and has been way out in front in terms of collecting electrical, and later, electronic art.

And some of her early pieces did indeed wear out. Sometimes, if the artist is still alive, you can get them to repair a piece. Other times, somebody else can or will do it. And in yet other situations, the piece simply has a finite lifespan, and thats all there is to it.

I dont think you have any obligation to provide schematics- frankly, most collectors, and art restorers, would have no idea what to do with em anyway.

I have a good friend who is a big art restorer, and she can make a painting that somebody put their elbow thru look like new again, reglue a shattered Chihuly- but electronics? forget it.

Part of this is dependant on something we dont know yet- how famous will you get, and how valuable will your pieces be?
If you become enough of a big shot, there will be people willing to pay to keep your work running.
There are now experts in doing this, for particular artists. And who knows, maybe you will rate such care sometime in the future.

But really, you have made the decision to work in a relatively fragile media, because you want to, and you like what can be done with it. Just like the Tibetean Monks who do sand paintings, you cannot expect your work to have the lifespan of a cast bronze piece. It is what it is, and part of the reason you like it is integrally intertwined with its finite nature.

There is no guarantee that a particular IC will continue to be manufactured- many early ones are no longer available. Some proprietary transistors for early Hi-Fi gear is out of production as well. Technology changes, and the more sophisticated the tech, the faster it changes.

If you really want immortality, you may have to go back to stone and metal.

I think you need to explain to your buyers, however, that there is a limited time warranty- whatever you think is reasonable- but not forever.