View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Level 1 user

Re: New at the forum

Thanks for your comment, Fritchie, very much appreciated.

I easily can understand your remarks regarding student poses. Broadly speaking, I make three kind of figures: very quick sketches of 20 to 40 minutes after model; the category 'student poses', which are figures also after model, made in ca. 5 hours, mainly at my sculpture class; and lately I began working more freely, as the two tall slim figures posted earlier are witness of.

I am not working result orientated at the moment, but focus on the learning proces. When I model a figure, I might arrive at a stage where I am pleased with the expressive or aesthetic nature of the figure. I then nevertheless choose to continue, herewith taking the risk of destroying the figure's 'aesthetic value' (which often happens), for the sake of learning technique and above all to see. A beautiful result which is the outcome of a coincident is not my objective. To be surprised by your own work is of course admirable but this should take place on the right premises.

I post two additional pictures of the 'sitting man'. One could categorise the figure as mediating between a student pose and a more free attempt. As you can see at these pictures the man is not in a relaxed position but rising up. It was this dynamic moment that I tried to catch.

To answer your question regarding 'black clay'. I only know the name in Danish and assume that the clay might have a different name in other countries, in Germany as well.

I don't have yet a better picture of the other two figures. The quality of photos is always disappointing, but I will give it another try soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manzittend3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	3202  Click image for larger version

Name:	manzittend5.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	3203