Thread: 3 d sculptures
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Level 5 user

Re: 3 d sculptures

Personally I would say that good art is usually a result of someone who gets deeply involved with their process and materials and that creativity is often a product of practical problem solving.

It's not just about having good ideas or indeed just having well polished skills at a particular process but about tackling the tension between the two. To put it another way the detail which makes art good comes from the way that you solve the problems which present themselves when you try to translate an idea or vision into reality, whether you are starting from an abstract concept or an interpretation of a real subject.

I think that too often in contemporary art too much emphasis is placed on the concept and the execution is either cursory or handed over to somebody else.

This isn't to say that there is an inherent virtue in doing something and a way which is unnecessarily difficult for it's own sake but that originality and character comes from the decision making process in translating and idea into a finished piece of art and if you short circuit this process you loose something very important.

I don't think that using digital media is inherently any different from any other process...but it does offer a lot of ways to easily achieve things which with other processes would have involved a lot more decision making and involvement by the artist. So the challenge is to make suer that you are pushing your media to its limits rather than just following the line of least resistance.

Personally I'm less interested in second guessing future art history by looking or things which are obviously novel and I tend to think that if you involve yourself enough in the process and produce art that YOU (not galleries or agents or art critics) want to see then you will ultimately produce art which is both the best that you area capable of and which reflects your own, unique style.

I suspect that a lot of weird and unsuccessful stuff comes from artists trying to write their own chapters in art history rather than perusing things that they are genuinely interested in.

(note that this this is a general observation and not aimed at anybody in particular)