View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 AM
ISC Professional Member

Re: Artistic goals of nude sculpture

Hi Rika
Thanks for your thoughts on the piece-Sky.

Great quote from a great artist; Henry Moore
An artist that walked on the edge.

This "walk" is a difficult thing to do, whether it is following a personal path to reclaim a "desire" as raspero has stated in his comment, or find a new way to represent the figure.... they are both valuable goals to seek.
In many ways just to "seek" something is a valuable goal for the nude.

My goal to to make the nude figure in a way that "No one" has made the figure before.
Not that anything is new, everything seems to have been done before.
Yet I can say that it will never be done the same way as I/you/they will do it. So there is some originality within our work.

The galleries want you to make the nude figure in a way that is unique and easily identifiable by their clients... so this becomes an artistic goal for me; to create a strong style that is easily identifiable as mine.

The art critic wants you to create the nude in this same manner, new, original, with conceptual content, and changing work that shows the evolution of your artistic style. (They need something new and deep to think/write about.)

Most important to me is to make the figure so that there is some sort of conceptual content, if the viewer is interested in searching for a message.
However on the other hand, if the viewer only wants to look and does not want to think, then there must be something there to satisfy that viewer as well.

So my artistic goals of the nude are; originality, content, and presenting an "interesting" and "original" representation of the figure.
That is to say I am seeking some sort of quality, be it beauty or an ugliness, a character or sort of personality, a "vitality" or "energy" of some sort as Mr. Moore sought.

We will not always find it, nor will we always be able to infuse our work with it, but we should always try, and we should also be sensitive to seeing it in the art that we actually take the time to look at.

Fun to be here discussing this, great question.
Thanks
Blake