I decided to drop Parks Bronze an email last night to see what they might charge to cast for me again.
Way back in 1992 I used to have my casts done there, but circumstances all around changed and I stopped doing the bronzes.
For some reason which I can't remember now, I had some casts done at Weston Studio-Foundry in New Mexico which I discovered is out of business and even their entire facility is completely gone to just a grassy field according to Google Street view.
Back in 1992 I had casts made when I sold them, they were basically made to order, since that was the case I never made any for myself. While cleaning things up in the basement shelves I looked over my polytek 74-40 urethane block molds for the models that were all made around 1991-1992 and they are all in excellent condition even after 21 years of storage, so I wanted to look into what it might cost now to cast some.
A client who purchased one of the bronzes back then, this one in fact:
He had it up for sale a few years ago on Ebay and I wound up winning it back for almost exactly what I had originally sold it for, the others in the series were all similar size and configuration about 6" tall to 7" and mounted on a marble base.
There was one slightly larger one which I had only cast one of, and he was heavy! I used to have them cast these completely solid and while they had reservations of casting the larger one solid they did and it turned out perfectly, it weighed 26# this was the model for it:
Parks used to charge $110 to cast these and then it went to $135, but that was 21 years ago and bronze was a lot cheaper than it is now too. I used to get the marble from Baja onyx cut to size and their prices were very reasonable.
Guess we'll see what they say the cost will be!
Back in '92 my method of casting the waxes was very untraditional but it was the only way I knew how to deal with all the undercuts caused by the figure standing on four legs and having fragile projections a rubber two piece mold I felt would not work well for. I made the models from plasticene and then made a multi-piece hydrocal plaster mold from that, and then made a set of polytek molds of each piece of the hydrocal.
It was those polytek molds from which I cast 50/50 plaster of Paris and sand waste molds from to pour the wax into.
The larger pieces usually pulled off easily enough and could be reused, the smaller pieces trapped under the body were just disolved and crumbled to remove.