View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is bodycasting really art?

Tandigon,

I will beat this horse for one more post. You said
Quote:
What this forum is doing is discrediting a whole lot of individuals who don't meet their standards of what constitutes art, and this kind of attitude of intolerance is hardly what one expects from an art community.
I was responding to your accusation of 'intolerance' within this art community and your expectations that it is somehow not living up to.

The complaint you registered was about the standards that some are wanting to maintain in regard to art. If you notice, I never said you were advocating no standards...I said if you advocate having no standards because I was not sure. I am not talking about judging by my standards in this post...I am advocating having standards. At some level, however, we do make artistic judgments...it is a normal process that brings us to understand what is the difference between mediocrity and excellence. One does not get better with out judging oneself against those around and we must make judgements about who we think is a good influence on our work or what medium suits us best, etc....That is another discussion though.

What is and isn't art is a topic too large to try and address in this thread...it deserves its own space. Suffice it to say I do believe there are distinctions between the two and I am by no means alone in this belief.

I apologize if my analogies seemed as if I was talking down. I prefer simplifying ideas whenever possible.

There is no brawl...your original comments were quite pointed and I was giving my response and using questioning hypotheticals....without slinging mud. There was no name calling...or personal attacks. If you were to address all my points as I was trying to do yours....then we would be discussing.....the point of a forum in the first place.
Reread my post and notice I use words like I think, if you, seems...words that do not imply assumption....because I could be wrong. I used these words to preface my remarks regarding your post so you could clarify your comments or my understanding....which ever needed to happen.

You, my friend, are the one who made a broad generalization about this forum discrediting a whole lot of individuals and that this was...using the word you like to throw around...intolerant. I did not read anything into that remark of yours....you were not specific and did not give examples. If you don't see the oversimplification of this sort of statement...then we will agree to disagree.

One thing that needs clarification though...just because I say something that isn't embracing of all art...that doesn't make it intolerant. We all have the right to disagree or not like something and that doesn't mean we are intolerant. It seems you are misusing the word. Intolerance means you don't tolerate.....you do not put up with something. (see definitions below) My saying I don't think this or that is art.....isn't intolerance. If I was trying to stop others from creating art I didn't like or advocating that they stop....that would be intolerance. I may express my dismay at this or being disgruntled by that, but that does not constitute intolerance.

I don't mind if people want to create anything they want or think differently than me, but I have the right to say whether or not I like it. We all do.
Are you are trying to say just disliking or disagreeing with something is intolerant? I am unsure, but it seems that way almost.
The paradox there is....the meaning you seem to want to give the word intolerance....one person not agreeing with another person....would make you intolerant as well....because you very vehemently don't agree with me.

Anyway, don't convince me...that is fine and your right. Honestly, I'd rather discuss the topic at hand than respond to negative posts, but...I did it on behalf of the many fine people who I have met here whom I think you might have 'discredited' with your comments.

Just for FYI

Main Entry: in·tol·er·ant
Pronunciation: -r&nt
Function: adjective
1 : unable or unwilling to endure
2 a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : BIGOTED
3 : exhibiting physiological intolerance <lactose intolerant>

in·tol·er·ant (ĭn-tŏl'ər-ənt) pronunciation
adj.

Not tolerant, especially:

1. Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.
2. Opposed to the inclusion or participation of those different from oneself, especially those of a different racial, ethnic, or social background.
3. Unable or unwilling to endure or support: intolerant of interruptions; a community intolerant of crime.

Last edited by JasonGillespie : 08-31-2006 at 12:43 PM.