View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM
ISC Member

WARNING FOR SCULPTORS

WARNING FOR SCULPTORS.
Looks like The Owensboro Public Art Commission is up to a new scam. Here is a little history of the Owensboro Art Projects. In 2005 there was the much-touted Riverbend Sculpture Biennial 2005, Owensboro Museum of Art, Kentucky (http://www.opublicart.org) started in May 2005 with a $25.00 “Processing Fee” and after an extended deadline, finally got off the ground.

September 11th a big day for this Ohio River Town with the “Public” opening of the exhibition, a speech by Martin H. Bush and the announcement of four commissions. Only one, Denny Haskew went through the selection process.

The record reveals that the Owensboro Museum added an unannounced MASTERS OF PUBLIC ART, invitational exhibition running concurrently with the biennial. The commissions were selected from both groups, even though there was no mention of this procedure in the prospectus. None of the information given by the museum made reference to MASTERS OF PUBLIC ART. No mention in the prospectus, nothing in any fact sheets: 1-December-04 or 8-March-05. No mention in the letter of July 1, 2005 (Juror’s Results). No mention of the Masters Show in the invitation to the Preview Gala or the Public Opening Sept. 11. Not until the MEDIA RELEASE (15 Sept 2005) does the concurrent exhibition appear. One can only assume that the museum wanted to fill out the galleries with competing sculptors selected from several hundred applicants, and get the sculpture they wanted from the beginning.

I have requested that the museum remove my name from its mailing list.
SO THIS TIME THEY CALLED ME WITH A NEW INVITATION.

MY RESPONSE…STICK YOUR COMMISSION.