Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Gilbert and George - Art as suicide

Herewith an astonishingly chilling assessment of Gilbert and George at the Tate by Germaine Greer.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
ISC Member

Re: Gilbert and George - Art as suicide

Hi, Having seen a show of theirs in Leo Castelli gallery (SOHO NYC) I have to say, I'm not impressed with the work. I saw that show in the early 90's and from what I remember, I found the humor, which is a big part of their work, humorless and inane.
the concepts very shallow, not well thought out and the work, as a whole, just stupid!
It's almost as if the point of all their work is just a spoof on the art world and civilization in general and I guess it is, my problem is, it doesn't work at any level beyond, oh lets say Beavis and Butthead.
To me they're just a very poor imitation of Ray Johnson.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Level 10 user

I think Germaine Greer was rather mild in assessing the work of Gilbert and George. If you want astonishingly chilling, try this:

" The work of Gilbert and George demonstrates that you can fool some of the people some of the time, make most of the people nauseous most of the time, and make big bucks while thumbing your noses at the public by wasting their time and energy with cynicism and piles of s--t."

But of course, it has to be art, because they say so.

Sure, G & G are entitled to play their cute little game, but that does not mean that the public or art critics have to become enablers. What is so astonishing about Greer calling it as seen?

GlennT
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 AM

I wouldn’t want to get into the issue of whether G&G are good or not, or whether they are just in it for the 'big bucks'. The 'only in it for the money' argument is a no brainer for me. You simply cannot know this, and if you object to the work, then offer a sensible critique. Regardless of what I think, they will end up with a place in the histories of British Art in the 20th century. (Personally, I appreciated what they were doing early on in their careers, when they began using the stained glass lines, and used the stained glass format in an ironic way (offering homoerotic and psyche-sexual material in what was a religious artistic format). This was interesting, and speaks of the 'religion' they have made of art. If nothing else, their love of art has been as fundamental to their lives as it is to us, which I respect.

The thing that astonishes me relates to G&G’s elevation of themselves to the status of art object, and Greer’s assessment of this. I don’t follow the critical assessment of artists too closely, but to see Greer offer this assessment of the psychological ‘death’ of one member of the team (and name the one subjugated) was, at least for me, daring, and rather chilling, if true.

Last edited by Cantab : 03-22-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

If I could figure out how to "become" a sculpture I would. I've hit myself with a hammer, cut myself with saws, re-configured my physique, glued myself and even welded myself over the years. But I remain flesh and blood. Damn.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM

But, don't sculptors 'form' themselves a little bit like they form their work? Isn't there a parallel between being a sculptor and making a sculpture? Isn't that one of the joys of being a sculptor? That you invent yourself as something good, even beautiful? I know so many artists who pride themselves in becoming artists, rather than becoming insurance salesmen....
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab
I know so many artists who pride themselves in becoming artists, rather than becoming insurance salesmen....
I feel that I am going in the other direction. The endless knocks, the poverty, the rejections and the general disinterest shown, have worn me down. If by my art I am remaking myself, then I fear that it is into a lesser man.

Greer has an axe to grind, and it shows in this critique.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Level 9 user

your body & mind gradually gets worn out and dies, but your spirit gradually gets transfered to the body of work you leave behind. Better keep working!