Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Level 10 user

Re: salvaged elm log

Congrats man. Public instals are great to talk to people about. That crack is a doosy tho. How are you gonna secure it. X2 on what Forge said about the template. Drill your holes in the sculpture trace the bottom if the sculpture on some parer or cardboard punch the holes threw the paper then set it on the base mark drill and your good. Don't forget to leave room for the pin to expand if your using wood or steel. Wood could soak up enough water to split your sculpture.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Level 10 user

Wow, really cool form, this last one.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Chris,

As a matter of base reaction, I've noticed that this series of yours makes me imagine each of these giant forms in ceramic/porcelain...
Don't quite know why offhand, but it's pretty intriguing.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Level 10 user

thanks guys.
i think that is a great idea obseq. the more i think about it the the better it gets.
you know i first started working with clay before i tried wood or stone.
i think i could do these type carvings with some ceramic or procelain or heavy type clay. hollow them out cut then into bricks and mortor them back together after firing. hmm.. thanks obseq

Last edited by chris 71 : 04-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Chris,

Those three wood sculptures look so nice in the garden, they seem to go well with natural surroundings. In fact, the first thing that pops up in my mind is native indians performing some ritual dance. Very nice looking family of sculptures. Have you ever considered the challenge of taking your style work to a more three dimensional approach? I see you take a slab and carve it, that`s great, but what about the whole log with or without a major branch stump here or there?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Level 10 user

hi nelson thanks, yes i have thought of trying that. i think its something i am working up too. im just really starting to run with the saw now. plunge cutting and upside down and all kinds of crazy holds and positions.
i think when i do tackle my first large round carving i will want to be able to really do something good. im warming up for it with these i think. although i really do love doing the slabs. and i think there could be a life time of mastering just slab carving.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 71 View Post
thanks guys.
i think that is a great idea obseq. the more i think about it the the better it gets.
you know i first started working with clay before i tried wood or stone.
i think i could do these type carvings with some ceramic or procelain or heavy type clay. hollow them out cut then into bricks and mortor them back together after firing. hmm.. thanks obseq
Okay, so I'm not crazy! Man, I'd love to see what you come up with!!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post
Man, I'd love to see what you come up with!!
when i do it i will post pics hear. all i need is someone to let me do this on there brick house. maby somewhere like beside the front door. that would be cool.

working on different surface textures now its hard to take a good picture with the camrea i have. but you can kinda see what im trying to do.
i think its looking better every day im really have a great time with these.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Level 10 user

first coat of oil on this one, and first coat of paint on the base. unfortunetly this is also one of the blocks infested with some type of larva that i posted a help question in the help threads about. i have to deliver both finished carvings on next monday. guess i need to find a big freezer before then to kill them off. i will have to ask the university if they have one

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

[quote=chris 71;102378]first coat of oil on this one, and first coat of paint on the base. unfortunetly this is also one of the blocks infested with some type of larva that i posted a help question in the help threads about. i have to deliver both finished carvings on next monday. guess i need to find a big freezer before then to kill them off. i will have to ask the university if they have one

Chris, I don`t mean to push the point, but did you try soaking gasoline over the wood piece ? Seriously it works, turn the wood flat and run a test, if the bug is deep it`ll still try coming to surface hole in a couple of minutes. You can do it and watch the moves, and hit him again at the surface. Of course that`ll kill the bugs actually in the wood, but after the gas evaporates the wood would be exposed again in a few days/weeks to insect attack, so you need a more lasting home made like creolin and diesel mix (stinks, but`s safe) or get yourself a wood insect/fungus preserver for a long lasting repelent action. Have you thought about adding some interesting tints to your sculptures? I dont mean showy colors, just hues for enhancement, and protection coat as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

thanks nelson. i actully just got off the phone with my wood carving cousin. dont know why i didnt just ask him in the first place. he was with me when i got the slabs, brought them home in his truck.
he says he has killed them before with mineral spirits, says it works very well and easy to do. he is going to come over tomorrow. and show me how he does it.
i imagine its the same as using the gas and it evaporates too. probably would be cheaper to use the gas i will mention that to him. and the finished carvings are supposed to be indoors so i dont think there will be a chance for a re-infestation.
and yes i have thought about different dies and stains. i seen some really amazing things done too wood with them. milk paint is one i would like to try

you can see the holes in the pic. and i only seen 1 larva when i was cutting the trenches in the slabs. so with some luck maybe those holes you can see in the picture are from them leaving the wood.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Level 10 user

the mineral spirits worked took a while but i seen about four beetles one crawling and a couple dead on the ground around the bases
Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Level 10 user

here is the first one 3 coats of tung oil. i will put another coat of paint on the base tomorrow. this elm is really knid of plain looking as far as color and grain go.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Level 10 user

Very native, very nice. The oil or varnish look on it in my opinion does not enhance the work. Maybe tint playing or a burnish look may do... go figure.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Very native, very nice.
thanks nelson thats good too hear, seeing they are going to the indigenous studies deparment
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Level 10 user

a fitting end to the thread of the sacred water log.

my proud mom second in from the right

http://www.trentu.ca/newsevents/news...hp?newsID=3581
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Level 10 user

great job, and your mom does look really proud. it's gotta feel great, ride that wave to the next big thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Level 8 user

Nelson: I'm curious. What makes it go "native?"

I see shapes which appeal to the sky, rain or shine.
Good.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Level 10 user

Congrats, Chris! Am I missing it, I don't see the actual sculptures in the link?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Level 10 user

thanks guys, i know rika, i never did get any pics of them after install.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Level 10 user

Cool work. Good for you saving it from the fireplace or chipper !