Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Facebook

Quote:
Don't think these people mean any thing by their actions, they are just poseurs. But, it could be my problem more than theirs. I tend to take people literally when they say or promise something. Makes for less than stellar results.
Good observations on the human condition. That reality thing can create such problems.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

I exchanged a gift of art for that of artistic craft via a FB connection. Both parties were well pleased with the results. I have also made some interesting and fun friend connections via FB, and have been exposed to more current art and artists whose work I like than through any other venue. So I am grateful for FB, whether or not it leads to commissions.

Last edited by GlennT : 05-18-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Don't think these people mean any thing by their actions, they are just poseurs. But, it could be my problem more than theirs. I tend to take people literally when they say or promise something. Makes for less than stellar results.
Quote:
Good observations on the human condition. That reality thing can create such problems
perhaps the problem is the 400 random friends.

Last edited by grommet : 05-18-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
perhaps the problem is the 400 random friends.
But still, random is better than none.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
But still, random is better than none.
definitely, but those aren't the only options.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Level 10 user

Hmm, I recall a certain person once accusing me of living in a cave. Something I still intend to do toward the end of my existance. "Friends" is just a placeholder on FB like "fan" or "Dark energy" in astrophysics. I have maybe a dozen real friends on FB and the rest I look at as an unknown with potential. It never occured to me to use the internet as a vehicle for anything other than to establish some kind of repoire with like-minded people and perhaps even deeply contrarian to my own views. Something I grow more fond of each passing day. I hope to max out at 5000.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Hmm, I recall a certain person once accusing me of living in a cave. Something I still intend to do toward the end of my existance. "Friends" is just a placeholder on FB like "fan" or "Dark energy" in astrophysics. I have maybe a dozen real friends on FB and the rest I look at as an unknown with potential. It never occured to me to use the internet as a vehicle for anything other than to establish some kind of repoire with like-minded people and perhaps even deeply contrarian to my own views. Something I grow more fond of each passing day. I hope to max out at 5000.
Quote:
then what are you complaining about?
It either works or it doesn't. Develop a rapport with the selected handful and ditch those who just take up space without contributing visuals or companionship of some sort.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Level 10 user

so kind of what you're indicating is that you're hoarding "friends" in case you ever need them for something.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
so kind of what you're indicating is that you're hoarding "friends" in case you ever need them for something.
Moi? Um, that's a pretty reduced notion if you ask me. I'm making as many friends as I can so I can share in the overall experience of FB. I've seen a lot of work I would have never seen otherwise and by people who are still out there and going strong. I've also made a few friends and acquaintances I would never have had the pleasure of knowing. That has little to do with needing anyone for anything, but it's always nice to know there's people out there to answer questions if you have them or maybe just share your own work with.. Fact of the matter is that I've learned a few techniques I didn't know about before, not to mention different styles, tastes, implementations and so on and so forth. Having a large hodgepodge of friends enables creativity in my mind and doesn't stifle it..
Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Moi? Um, that's a pretty reduced notion if you ask me. I'm making as many friends as I can so I can share in the overall experience of FB. I've seen a lot of work I would have never seen otherwise and by people who are still out there and going strong. I've also made a few friends and acquaintances I would never have had the pleasure of knowing. That has little to do with needing anyone for anything, but it's always nice to know there's people out there to answer questions if you have them or maybe just share your own work with.. Fact of the matter is that I've learned a few techniques I didn't know about before, not to mention different styles, tastes, implementations and so on and so forth. Having a large hodgepodge of friends enables creativity in my mind and doesn't stifle it..
I'm in agreement about this benefit, but find that many whose work I appreciate have their best stuff on their website, with a link on facebook. The ones whose predominant conversation is about how blasted they got at the gathering you weren't at or speak a different language entirely I can appreciate at my leisure without the updates. save to favorites in a folder by technique, media, whatever.
Glad the hodge-podge works for you.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

I agree linked in is more proffesional feeling.

I want to have minus 5000 friends on Facebook, lol.
Once I told a social worker that I wanted to be an antisocial worker,
they didnt think it was amusing.

Facebook, Myspace etc, are ad agencies in a different form, not some free spirited free for all.

I looked at MyArtspace the other day, it mentions it will soon have a related site to sell prints on, if one does 2d work too.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
ISC Member

ANTI SOCIAL WORKER, I love it! did you ever notice that the word therapist also spells THE RAPIST!!!!!! TYLENOL backwards spells LONELY T.
I know, I'm crazy,
Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 AM
ISC Member

Thank you Jeff. I enjoy the irony in therapist.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Level 9 user

I have only recently signed into facebook-- not my generation. It seems like a bunch of strangers trapped on an elevator-- I know maybe one or two people. I don't think it will help my career any.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

Katy,
Conversely I have met people I wouldn't mind being trapped in an elevator with, which is more than I've met in person. I think we'd have a mighty fine singalong or comparable. While that's not career advancing it's spirit sustaining when the buttheads get you down. That and other perks...
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Katy,
Conversely I have met people I wouldn't mind being trapped in an elevator with, which is more than I've met in person. I think we'd have a mighty fine singalong or comparable. While that's not career advancing it's spirit sustaining when the buttheads get you down. That and other perks...
True enough. There is that other aspect of life.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Level 10 user

Snail as postal Mail when comparing computer communication with telepathic communication שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Claude...16395631716339
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27946_116943634994872_116395631716339_170970_2391592_n.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	12356  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Level 6 user

I like your "Fan Page" layout, Giotto. I'm sold on the idea to create a page of my own but.... I already have a general FB account that's totally annoyed me from the beginning with all the game requests, adverts, people wanting to "be my friend", etc., etc., folks mostly pop'n up connected from those I do know that love to air their BS in life to a point it makes me sick and regretful I even log on at times... so... I deleated it. Problem is... it's not "deleated", really... just sit'n there in the background of FB lurking and waiting for me to attempt to log back on to create myself a different account. I cannot create a separate account because it blocks me (even though the previous account's deleated) citing there's another account by that name and whatnot. When I logged back on to the old account (which it instantly pops back up and continues as though I've never been away) I can't find hide nor hair of anything available on that page to switch my account to an account like yours. Am I blind and missing something obvious?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Level 6 user

Never mind... I sorted it out.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Level 2 user

Facebook groupls can be quite useful, I have quite a few people turn up at my last show from my facebook group and it was interesting getting feedback from them the next day on FB. Also you never know who is on there, I did get approched by a Singapore gallery through it, I thought it wasn't real - or a scam, but after some careful research discovered they were legit and recently they have sold one of my works. I must admit I was gobsmacked to be approched this way as normally this is not how galleries operate but there you go!!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Level 1 user

I have both a personal and a business Facebook page. I've sold bronzes through the personal page and have nibbles on other sales and commissions from the personal page as well as the professional page (I post pics of my works in progress both places). I belong to an equine art FB group where we share our work and critique each other if requested, and I belong to another group of artists on FB as well. I've become online friends with several other sculptors and been invited to a prestigious invitational juried show where I won both first and third place (which includes a monetary prize) in the sculpture division against people whose work I've admired since before I started sculpting. All that from Facebook. I'm on LinkedIn as well, but haven't seen any real benefit from it so far, nor are their forums useful to me, since they're mostly for 2-D or print artists. I posted an invitation to a show where I was the featured artist on FB and several people attended who would not have done so otherwise, including a couple who bought things. I'm happy with my FB experience so far.

Visit my page at: https://www.facebook.com/LyndaSappingtonArt
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Level 10 user

I am getting to the stage where I really want to deactivate my facebook but know it might cut off a marketing avenue.
Many people post interesting things.
However, what I hate is the posters who have turned it into a 'vanity box' or a 'round robin' type activity, often close relatices.
It often involves people taking countless photos of themselves, usually doing 'extreme sports' etc (usually they will only do the sport in question once and not take it up as a sport), then they post other meaningless photos of themselves on the beach often edited a bit in Mr Photoshop or with their partners. Its like a Sunday catalogue from hell. I do sports all the time, swimming, surf etc, I never would rarely put a photo of that up, it is too vain.

Having said this, it would make a really good conceptual art show if this was projected onto a wall etc.

Does anyone feel the same way or am I becoming a Misanthrope?

James.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM
ISC Member

James,
I think the key to a successful page or LI page is editing. Check through the people that you have "friended" & ask yourself - how is that working for you. If it is not working, delete them. People you meet in various social media are just like people you meet in bars & other places, if you don't enjoy them don't invite them into your home (or social media community).

One mning, I deleted about 12% of my contacts on LI on purpose. Felt better afterward. Either my interests had changed or their interrests had changed. Same result. In that same veing, just because they ar relatives does not mean that they get automatic rights to be on your page. This is your page not everyone elses.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Level 10 user

Hi, yes I agree editing etc is good.
I do think Facebook is a good tool, its just what you do with it.
Infact I feel it is in many ways it is better than artist only sites such as Saatchionline as it will reach those who do not make things etc.
James.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Level 1 user

It's an odd one for many of us for sure.
I succumbed to starting a page at the end of last year because of advice from colleagues, but mostly because the last couple of commissions I applied to asked how I would use social media!
The tides of kittens and handbags I see on my wife's very busy network put me off completely it must be said, however I now treat mine as a simple "studio diary" and this seems to work for me.
However, I signed up as an artist which means you get a business page which limits your search options for "friends" but does keep all the trivial crap off it. It is probably of more interest to other makers in it's present form: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arikui/352761284819630