Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Level 1 user

Where to sell my stone concrete sculptures?

Hi everyone, before I got laid-off, I worked for a garden company designing small to mid-size garden sculptures. Now I am trying to start my own business. I have about 70 products and have just printed my own catalog. My question is where should I sell these products? Should I go to my local garden center to let them carry my products? Should I open my own website to sell them online? Should I open a small shop in a shopping mall to sell my products and do some custom sculptures at the same time? Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!!

I have been to some garden centers directly in my area and have just got a few orders. They seem to like my products but going to them directly one by one seems time consuming and impractical. I do not want to confine myself to garden sculptures and I am willing to do try different fields.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Where to sell my stone concrete sculptures?

Did you want to sell directly to Garden Centers or would you consign them?
I don't know what your competition is like but a web site seems like a way to go, whether it's yours personally or part of a larger more diverse one. Can you post some examples of what you do?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Level 10 user

I would find another job and do the sculptures on the side. Too many starving artists out there already.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Level 8 user

Show your catalog to the Landscape Architect community. I'm just an innocent bystander but I do get to see what they recommend in plans.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Level 10 user

I agree with Forge lol. Granted mass produced garden sculpture doesn't really qualify as art.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Level 1 user

you could look for a sales/manufactures rep that sells to the garden stores and has a booth at the markets. the market shows are in different parts of the US for all of retail. the shows are normally held in big convention centers and cater to specialized markets, be that clothing, table top or garden and landscape.

if you have enough profit built into your sculpts you can afford a sales rep. they take a percentage of all they sell, maintain the client for you with reorders. they will need samples of your work for their booth at the shows.

you can find a reps on line, or once you find out where the markets are (which are also on line) go to a show and look for a booth that sells something similar and ask if they would rep your work. reps run the range from one individual servicing one area to a company that has many reps working the entire country.

good luck