Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Level 10 user

TANG!

cast phosphor bronze 1' high. better images on this link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=61cb159c42
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tang1EEE.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	13559  Click image for larger version

Name:	tang2EEE.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	13560  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Level 10 user

Re: TANG!

Wow - looks great. Is that a single piece cast or did you weld sections together? Whats the advantage of phosphor bronze over silicon bronze?

I'm not crazy about the base - seems to compete a bit with the form, but that is a minor point/opinion.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Level 9 user

Tang As in handle? looks like a couple machine levers in there. looks ancient, nice piece, more drop off material than found object, feels architectual, floors and levels
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

yes cast in one as it becomes more organic than welding, no advantage of phosphor B except i can get it, prefer silicon B. yes architectural and the antique patina is hot piss on liver. will weather it with some cold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tangle.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	13561  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Racine,

Intrincate, complicated piece regarding space management. Too complicated in my view as it leaves almost no space to observe better shapes and volumes within. Such crowding isolates it from external context, resulting in a difficult relationship with sorrounding space.

Other than that, the piece reminds me of a tower of some industrial process, and can imagine the painstaking work to achieve the close and intrincate elements. There`s a feeling of being unestable, but that`s fine, makes it more dynamic.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

i liked you birds very much, these ones not so much. looks like a nice chunk of wood though
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Level 10 user

Nelson, your critiques are always interesting to read, even when they miss the mark for me, I'm fascinated.
I'm not saying you miss the mark here, I just think one probably gets closer to Racine's art if one doesn't try to attach meaning or narrative to it. Since I stopped doing that I really started appreciating his involvement with structure, strong interest for process, there is passion inside the "shapes and volumes".
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 AM
Level 10 user

glad u spotted that Rika, attempts at supposed meaning seem to me often to fall into the trite trap, monkey business- monkey do[o], demonstrative stereotypicification et al. being on this wonderful planet in this fantastic reality universe is a material joy, simply to make, express and negotiate and play with existence is a high form of creativity, to make something new to this plane and avoid the predictable. time is short is exquisite. be it.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
glad u spotted that Rika, attempts at supposed meaning seem to me often to fall into the trite trap, monkey business- monkey do[o], demonstrative stereotypicification et al. being on this wonderful planet in this fantastic reality universe is a material joy, simply to make, express and negotiate and play with existence is a high form of creativity, to make something new to this plane and avoid the predictable. time is short is exquisite. be it.
Yes Racine,
you and Rika are right in your views, no questioning that art is art regardless of monkeys doings, all right. Neither did I mean to give a destructive opinion, just a sincere opinion that obviously is somewhat opposed to your view, but ain`t that acceptable?

Maybe once clean, as the picture seems blurry from debris left by melting process, the piece may show it`s "undefined" definition. Thus far looks a bit like a sloppy joe, no offense please! Perhaps I need glasses lol.

Last edited by Nelson : 04-30-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Level 10 user

I'm curious...Nelson are you commenting on the finished sculpture or on the later photo showing the sprues still intact?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
I'm curious...Nelson are you commenting on the finished sculpture or on the later photo showing the sprues still intact?
Wow, browsing too fast, I`m so glad Mack you asked the right question after my commenting. Forgot about preceeding picks which showed a very nice sculpture. There I agree with cheese regarding the long wood base. Again back to last pic... sorry never did I think it was the same sculpture in WIP. thought it was another one, and it struck me, having forgotten to comment on previous picks, which I really like. So being that the case Racine, please accept my appologies, ok. Glad man, neither monkey business nor sloppy meals. Great, best to you.
And thanks Mack ! and almost forgot, yes glasses needed ! lol

Last edited by Nelson : 04-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Level 10 user

i think Nelson and Cheese may well be right about the base, it could lose 2 inches happily. currently into long bases, a middle finger like denial of the coffee table a la mode.
the base is a new design, 4 pieces of simply nailed, reclaimed teak in swastika [meant to be sauwastika but erred] form and a plug for the middle which holds the bronze's short threaded rod and is itself held by a nail [or screw] on each side, so really easy to fit and enjoyably simple to make and contemplate.
[well spotted Mack... easy to do.. these things happen to us all N]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5022548.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	13563  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
i think Nelson and Cheese may well be right about the base, it could lose 2 inches happily. currently into long bases, a middle finger like denial of the coffee table a la mode.
the base is a new design, 4 pieces of simply nailed, reclaimed teak in swastika [meant to be sauwastika but erred] form and a plug for the middle which holds the bronze's short threaded rod and is itself held by a nail [or screw] on each side, so really easy to fit and enjoyably simple to make and contemplate.
[well spotted Mack... easy to do.. these things happen to us all N]
Life`s good... thanks Mack, and Racine.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Level 10 user

I looked and wondered why cast something you could have done in welded scrap. If rust and rusting away was the thing then I agree with the work. But the safety of it , Iam still not sure.