Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Level 3 user

Anatomy Sculptures-New Houdon Figures

Hi All,

Its been some time since I visited this sculpture community. I revamped my website (most of the main pages) and added quite a bit of new information about sculpture and technique.

After many years of tossing around the idea of resculpting/fixing the small 27" tall Houdon L'Ecorche copy that has been circulating and butchered for decades, the opportunity came several months ago to have my life-size version of Jean-Antoine Houdon's L'Ecorche digitally scanned and then 3-d printed. It allowed me to do a few things. Create two new accurate reduced sizes for Houdon's L'Ecorche sculpture, apply new research digitally to the figure i.e left arm, and to save sculpting them myself using my pantograph. 3-d printing isn't cheap but the result is fantastic.

The first figure is only 12" tall. I thought this sized figure would be excellent to take into the life model studio and use as a reference. Light weight, fairly inexpensive and really quite charming. The detail is amazing.

The second figure will be 28" tall. One inch taller than the old version. It should be available in June/July. You can gather more info, pics and contact me through my website at: http://www.keropiansculpture.com/houdon_ecorche.html
Kind regards,
Mike K.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Level 1 user

Post Re: Anatomy Sculptures-New Houdon Figures

Hi, Mike

It's really amazing about your works, i can see all of the details you've been sculpting. Congratulation about your works.

About the 12'' tall figure, i think it can be made in clay mold, and made into fiber glass mold or plaster mold. The cost will be much lower. According to this size, a lot of sculptors will follow this way. Unless it contains a lot of details which can't be sculpting by hand, but it also can be fixed at fiber glass mold.

The 3D printing is too expensive, we've got an sculptor which need to print an 10CM high bust, and the expense is more than 1000USD.

And the 28'' tall figure, i suggest you can make it into clay mold, and there is other oil clay maybe better than the ordinary clay.

We are an foundry. You can see some of the sculpture works by our website at www.chinaartcasting.com.

Best Regards!

Bryan Wang