Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Level 10 user

Re: My first public monument!!

Hey guys... boy Oh boy have I been busy the last few months. This past week I finally delivered the molds to the foundry. Soon, there will be waxes ready for clean up and then BRONZE!!! For now, here's the turn around images of the completed clay over foam sculpt.

Enjoy!!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Level 10 user

It's a great job Alfred...congratulations! Will look magnificent in bronze.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Level 8 user

You can be proud of yourself job well done.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Level 10 user

wonderful Alfred. and it will be shelled not sand cast, gosh. please send us some pics during the casting if u can i am very interested to see their process as i am sure others will be too.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. I am pretty proud of the work I've done on this piece. I'm also glad it's finally almost finished. Staring at the same work for so many months, thinking about it all the time, nit picking and second guessing design choices... I was right at the point that I was going to start hating this piece. Sadly, it seems that's always part of my process. Maybe that's why I like to work so fast. I know that I'll fall out of love with the work, and soon it's just a reminder of how many things are wrong with it. Luckily, I managed to keep my enthusiasm long enough on this piece to see the sculpt to completion. Now that the foundry has it, my work load on the piece is less and I can focus on other things and other opportunities, and my love of the piece is growing again. I'll be really excited to see this big guy getting craned into place and standing on his final resting spot, looking over the city he helped to build.

Cheers for now,

Alfred
Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Level 10 user

You standing next to the statue really reminds one the magnitude of this work. Congratulations!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Level 4 user

Hi Alfred, could you post the picture of the bronze sculpture of this statue ?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Level 10 user

Owen, as soon as I have pictures to post, I'll get them up here. the foundry and the city have been really slow during this process. I was actually out at the foundry today checking on fitting and welds. He's mostly put together now. I'll be out again at the end of the week to get the head placed. Then after that it's final textures and then we move onto patina. The city is moving slow on getting the base designed and approved by the city council. Because of that, installation of the piece has been moved back to some time in November.

It's been a little frustrating, as I was asked if I could sculpt it quickly to have it ready for a summer installation. Then everybody else started dragging their feet and no one seems to give a crap. I'm just waiting for it to be installed so I can be done with it and move on. I'm not actually doing much work on it now, but the frustration of it gets to be old. Hopefully it still leads to more work down the road.

Cheers, and thanks for the interest.

Alfred
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Level 10 user

Alfred, a few months of frustration is nothing...I have a fantastic public project that everyone involved likes but it has been 6 years of waiting for slow moving committees, land issues, fund raising, etc. I would love to share it but there are some innovative concepts involved to protect.

So, be thankful for the opportunity and that it has moved as fast as it has!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Level 10 user

Ha ha, Thanks for the perspective Glenn. Six yeas is quite a bit more than I would be comfortable with. Although, this project has been slow in that my part of the project was completed on time and several months ago. The foundry and the city have both admitted to moving slower than they anticipated. The whole thing from start (that being the initial talks with the client) to finish (Installation), will have been a year - Not too bad I guess.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Level 3 user

Alfred: I can relate to your frustration. Working with committees can be a nightmare. In the past year I have had two requests for possible sculpture commissions and in both cases nothing materialized. This, after I had spent my time and the time of foundries and enlargers getting estimates, etc.

Also, in the case of one of my sculptures the initial enthusiasm held long enough to actually get the piece completed and installed but not long enough to insure it being properly maintained. Ad hoc committees have a way of disappearing (guess that's why they are called "ad hoc") and unless the city or town shares their enthusiasm for the subject things can deteriorate over time.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Level 10 user

Well, after a number of delays and push backs of the schedule, the unveiling date has been set. The piece will be installed on the week of April 8th, and the unveiling will be on April 16th. Progress on the site will begin next week. The lighting and foundation will be put in place. Then the paths will go in, and lastly the base.
I'm happy to finally have a date for this piece to find it's permanent home. I'm looking forward to the installation of the piece (more than the unveiling), as I think it's a cool process to watch a large sculpture be moved into place. The whole thing will happen right around my 37th birthday (April 14th), so it's kinda a nice birthday present.
After the work is complete and the piece goes up, I'll post pictures and share the experience with you guys. If any of you are in the Southern California area (Arcadia) on the 16th, come on by for the ceremony. It'll be at 4:00pm. At the intersection of W. Huntington Dr. and Holly Ave. (Parking on Campus Dr, a few yards east of Holly and below Huntington).

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Level 10 user

Fantastic work Alfred. I am sure the family / decendants will be VERY happy with your vision. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Level 9 user

Stunning, he almost looks alive!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

Today is the day!! The unveiling of the Lucky Monument. I'll have pictures for you guys later on (I'm busy with a number of deadlines). It'll be a lot of fun to see the people's faces when the cover comes off. It's been a while getting to this, but I'm happy and excited to share him with the world.

Cheers!! and thanks for all the kind words.

Alfred
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Level 10 user

Still waiting on getting the final images from my photographer, but here's a brief video of the unveiling event. There are some photos of the sculpt at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOas...7lQ_xSNI4SEKzA

Cheers!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Level 9 user

Real nice, very classy, congratulations!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Level 2 user

Great work Alfred. The unveiling would give you a good feeling
regards
david
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Level 10 user

Here are just a few shots from the unveiling of the finished piece. Thanks for looking.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Level 10 user

Congratulations Alfred! Great job. Wonderful setting for your piece and the base works well with it. Did you also design that? What is the patina you used and is it final-coated with any thing other than wax to protect it?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks. I did design the base and chose the color of the concrete stain. The bronze is coated with something called "permalaque" - Not sure if that's the right spelling. Supposedly, it'll keep it looking the same for at least a decade. We'll see.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Level 9 user

So how did the event and all conclude at last, lots of press, crowd and interest? After the event nothing much else was added about it all here about followups and all...

I think the guy looks pretty cool and very lifelike.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Art-Deco,

The unveiling was a great success. A couple hundred people showed up. No main stream press, just the local guys, but it was still pretty fun. The piece has been extremely well received. So many times with public monuments, the citizens of the whichever city the piece is installed, tend to turn on the sculpt and few people like. In this case, it's been referred to as a "beacon", a "legacy for the city", "An Honor", etc. And that really makes me proud.

Since the unveiling, there hasn't really been much in terms of new work or dialogues, but it's still soon after and I think more will come from this.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Level 10 user

Looks great. Did the protective finish darken the work,or was it a darker finish to start with? Congradulations...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Level 10 user

Iron ant, it was a little of both. I wanted a darker finish so that it felt older right from the start. The lacquer did darken it quite a bit more. In the end, it's a hair darker than I wanted the finish to be, but it reads well in it's space, and everybody's happy with it, so I'm good.

Cheers!!