Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Level 10 user

A Sculptor's Nightmare

This is a real nightmare for UK sculptor Ian Brennan who took on a commission to make a life-size statue of a well-loved soccer club manager. After only a few days, the statue was so much disliked by fans that it had to be removed.

Even a reputed sculpture peer publically said he was the wrong man for this commission. See second link below.

Saints to pull down Bates statue

Southampton will pull down the statue of Ted Bates after fans complained it looked nothing like the former legend.

Saints (Southampton) fans criticised sculptor Ian Brennan's 102,000 statue, which is a tribute to ex-Saints player and manager Bates, who died in November 2003.

The club will now investigate whether the existing statue can be altered, or whether to start the project again.

Chairman Leon Crouch said: "Ted was Southampton Football Club and we owe it to him to build a fitting statue."

Crouch added: "With hindsight some things could have been done differently, ...."

Brennan had apologised to supporters and insisted that he would have liked more time to work on the project.

He said: "This was more than a commission, it was a passion. I'm sorry some supporters don't like the result."

Bates spent over 60 years at Saints and critics of the statue claim the body, legs and arms are out of proportion and the facial likeness is a poor one. .....

The statue was unveiled on St Patrick's Day by Bates' widow Mary and it stands in front of St Mary's Stadium.

A club statement said: "Although the Trust and Ian Brennan share the disappointment of the fans over the finished version they are upset with some of the over-the-top comments.....

Saints fan Brennan had to rely on photographs to obtain a likeness of Bates.

He told the Southern Daily Echo: "Sculpting from photographs is not the cleverest way of doing it. ....

Former cabinet maker Brennan has sculpted professionally for more than 20 years and commissions from the Royal Household are among his 90 previous projects.

He added: "I'm a Saints fan through and through and I have worked 10 hours a day, seven days a week on this project.

"I am very sorry a number of supporters do not like the end result and I would be happy to work with the Trust and the club to resolve any issues."

Jackson: You picked wrong man for Ted statue

A MAN considered one of Britain's leading sculptors today joined the row over the controversial statue of Saints legend, Ted Bates, describing it as "a missed opportunity."

Philip Jackson, the man widely acclaimed for a statue of Manchester United hero Sir Matt Busby at Old Trafford, drove to St Mary's to see the bronze statue after being caught up in the furore following its unveiling at the weekend.

The Chichester-based sculptor said: "It is still my opinion that if Southampton want a good sculpture and wish to avoid further embarrassment, they must bite the bullet and start again."

Artist Ian Brennan from Warsash has promised to make amends to the statue by adding five inches to the legs and pay for the changes himself.

But Mr Jackson said he believed the Ted Bates Trust should have commissioned a different artist to create the full-length model of the Saints legend, insisting that 18 months should have been long enough to produce a life-sized art work.

"One seldom gets 18 months to do a job like this. Most start with a completion date and can be done in a year," said Mr Jackson.

advertisement"But 112,000 is about right for a slighter larger than lifesize statue, to include the plinth."....