Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Level 5 user

Georgia marble

Does anyone have experience with Georgia Marble? I was thinking about buying a 500 to 1000 pound block to try a larger carving until I read the book about the carvers of the National Cathedral and they called Georgia marble ďjunk.Ē They said it crumbled to easily.

Also, whatís the best way to move large blocks. Iíve considered a fork lift (but my wife would kill me), pallet jack, gantry crane, engine hoist and a very looooong lever.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Georgia marble

Hi Dan first I know nothing about Georgian marble. But I do know that stone is a very personal thing. Some sculptors especially marble guys get used to really good marble (EX. Carrara) and they are ruined for any thing else. You also need to look at the amount of time these guys spent on this building. After that long any little problem with the stone is gonna make some one crazy. As far as moving big bloks 1000 lbs of stone is not that big. Go to your local automotive supply store and get a barrel dolly or build your own. You dont need a forklift till you get into the 3000 lb range and even then a gantry will do. I am small guy and I regularly move up to 1500 with just some wheels . Just be careful and use your legs for lifting.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 AM
ISC Member

Add to Tobias - move with your legs and your brain. Was moving a 600 lb block of red and white marble yesterday. The engine hoist was not happy with moving it so had to go to the next best thing the portable lift.

Use the brain not the brawn.

Carl
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Level 5 user

Thanks for the info. Iíve had back problems so Iím very careful about moving things, usually. I liked the idea of the engine hoist but the area where I work is a stone patio in front of my shop. I donít think the hoist would roll on that very well, if at all. I wasnít into working stone when I built the shop, otherwise I would have put in a flat level concrete patio.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
ISC Member

Quote:
I donít think the hoist would roll on that very well, if at all. I wasnít into working stone when I built the shop, otherwise I would have put in a flat level concrete patio.
Given your site limitations I would suggest a gantry on large wheels. That should be the trick. If the stone in the front of the shop gives you trouble run the gantry crane out and back on plywood. Nice smooth surface for the wheels to run on.

Carl
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Level 10 user

Reinventing the wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00577.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	8822  
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM
ISC Member

danthoman,

RE: "Does anyone have experience with Georgia Marble? I was thinking about buying a 500 to 1000 pound block to try a larger carving..."

I have to say that Georgia marble is not the best for fine detail work at less than life size -- the crystalline structure is large (think rock-salt as compared to powdered sugar for Carrara white marble) so at smaller scales the spalling of a single crystal can remove a good bit of carved form. Georgia marble is also a good bit harder than the Indiana limestone they used on the cathedral, harder also than standard Carrara 'ordinario' (Bianco Unito) marble. Carving detailed representational forms as they used on the National Cathedral would not be a picnic in Georgia marble. However, if working at life size, heroic scale, or in the abstract the large crystals should not be a problem -- in fact the crystals are so tightly bound to each other so that Georgia marble is one of the best in the world for outdoor sculpture (the porosity and water absorbtion is minimal). I find that fine detail work on the surface of Georgia marble is best done with abrasives (fine files, rubbing stones, sanding discs) rather than chiseling -- though if you are going to work with chisels KEEP 'EM SHARP as a razor to prevent spalling.
The largest pieces I have done in Georgia (Cherokee) started out as roughly 1-ton blocks and ended-up about 850-900 lbs. each. They were abstracted organic forms about 40-inches high designed to be mounted on architectural plinths that raised them up about 30-inches higher in an outdoor courtyard. They are installed in a corporate setting up in Indiana. (see attached pictures)

As far as moving it around levers and wheels work fine. I use chunks of 4x4 for building-up bankers. A railroad pry bar can be ordered from your local hardware store (since you are in Buckhead, try Smith Ace off Paces Ferry -- though they probably don't keep them in stock they can get it for you within a week) and some scrap chunks of stone or more 4x4s for fulcrums make lifting something as small as 500-1000 lbs. a one-man job (4 inches at a time). Engine hoists (either a knock-down one or a rental from a tool-rental company) will lift, but they don't roll very well so a large wheeled device will be needed. Northern Tool & Equipment Company (Atlanta area locations are in Duluth, Marietta, Snellville and Stockbridge) will have the wheels for you to make one to suit, though Carlson on North Avenue will probably have what you need too. (go across the street to the Varsity and get a chili-dog or two while you're there!)

You want a small chunk of Georgia marble to test carve give me a holler up in Marietta -- I got plenty of Cherokee, Solar Gray, and Pink in my boneyard, and be happy to share a piece or two if you say the magic word. <grin>

Don
www.dondougan.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sentinel#1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	8859  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sentinel#4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	8860  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Level 5 user

Don

Thanks for the info. I was planning on an abstract of some sort, so I think Iíll give the Georgia marble a try.

By the way, I live in the real Buckhead about 10 miles east of Madison. Population about 300. One of these days I was hoping to give you a call and see when/if I could come see your workshop. Maybe Iíll go through Atlanta and pick up a sack of chili dogs.

Marblecutter

Nice cart, but my problem would be getting the block onto the cart.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
ISC Member

danthoman,

The REAL Buckhead, huh? Lotta ritzy-folks in Atlanta might disagree . . . but not me! <grin>

Several of the dollies/carts I use are made from modified ones originally made for moving bales of cotton in the old Canton Cotton Mills (converted into lofts back in the mid-1980s). Any old cotton mills around the real Buckhead? Another handy cart I have is one re-built from a trolley used on railroad station platforms for moving baggage. $30 (1974 $), some welding, red-oak planking, new paint job and a bit of grease made it work like new. Below is a picture of one of those earlier carvings (pictured above) in the process of cutting a few hundred pounds off one end. Oh, and a much-younger and more-handsome me back in 1987. <grin>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD_Photograph_suited_out.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	8893  
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondougan View Post
Any old cotton mills around the real Buckhead? Another handy cart I have is one re-built from a trolley used on railroad station platforms for moving baggage.

These are platform trucks, and they can be bought used or new;

Platform Truck ,2000 Lb
Hardwood Platform Truck, Load Capacity 2000 Pounds, Platform Size 30 x 60 Inches, Wheel Mold On Rubber, Wheel Size 8 x 2 Inches, Steel Frame Wood Deck DAYTON
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4ZZ61
$357.50

I had one that was from an abandoned Hudson River shipping pier, the sucker was BUILT with lots of steel , super heavy wheels, oak bed and it was around 7 feet long. It was HEAVY, probably 300 pounds, used it to haul stones and salvage. I had to "park" it on the sidewalk by our apartment building chained to a lamp post with a boat chain and padlock. But one day it vanished- a store owner complained about it being in front of his store, and the cops cut the chain and removed it.

The one above on Grainger is 137#, you could put 500 or 1,000# on it easy (2,000# cap) and it has 8x2 castors which is easier for rolling than smaller ones, especially over any rough floor.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Level 10 user

Don,

Nice abstracted torso (?) in the GA white. I learn more from your posts than any other source... Only complaint I have is teasing me with the thought of a Varsity chili-cheese dog...and a frosted orange, and some onion rings, and a peach pie, and a trip to my cardiologists....
Old 08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
ISC Member

Blacksun,

Don't consider it teasing -- they've changed the dogs they sell (smaller), the peach pies are baked now, not fried - and the Varsity orange is not as strong as it used to be - though I still prefer it to the frosted orange <grin>. The cardiologist is still pretty much the same only more expensive.

Sour grapes, ya think?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Level 10 user

Don knows his stuff when it comes to marble,as I have seen a lot of his nicely finished work over the years.The Ga Marble company,I think owned by a swiss co.changes hands every so often,is one or the largest architectual marble companys in the world.I used to build steel sculptures around broken slaps of marble,and the mng. of the yard would let me brouse around and pick up what ever I could handle.Etawaha pink was a great marble full of all kinds of color.My favorite pieces I found where laying besides the train tracks going into the marble fabrication building.The best part is the guy would come up to my truck to price what I had picked up,ponder for a second,and then go "how bout a dollar a piece".Yep I went up for several years until I got a nice stash,which included two 6 foot marble mantels with layered bull noses,only 15 bucks.Oh well I am going way back and I believe those days are over,but I still love GA marble....IA
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondougan View Post
Blacksun,

...they've changed the dogs they sell (smaller), the peach pies are baked now, not fried - and the Varsity orange is not as strong as it used to be...
NO-O-O-O-O-O-O! The apocalypse is surely just around the corner- it is definitely the end of days.....
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Level 5 user

I havenít made it to Elberton or Tate to buy any marble yet because of some health issues, but itís at the top of my list. Iíve been fighting a kidney stone(s) since the end of June. Damn, those things are painful. It feels like it must be the size of a basketball. I wonder if you can carve a kidney stone.

It was a couple of years ago that I had my last Varsity hot dog. It didnít seem as good as I had remembered, but then I hadnít had the prerequisite 6 pack beforehand.

Baked pies --- not fried??? It is the apocalypse.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Level 10 user

Catastrophe has been averted! Here locally, Brunswick, GA, a suitable heir to the Varsity chili dog has been discovered....at a place called "Willie's Weenie Wagon". It's not quite perfect, but if you close your eyes, it's real close! I can live to fight another day (plus I don't have that annoying 5 hour lunch commute to Atlanta) They've also got an incredible fried pork chop sandwich!!!! Greas IS the word!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Level 5 user

Blacksun

I get to Brunswick several times a year and make it a point to eat at Willieís. Chili dogs, slaw dogs, and pork chop sandwiches. It doesnít get much better. Have you checked out Matteoís? Their pepperoni pizza with fresh garlic is a killer.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Level 10 user

I prefer Moondoggy's Pizza...their deep dish w/ a house salad (heavenly house garlic dressing) and cheese bread....New location off Canal road up near the Air National Guard.... Yell next time you're coming, I'll buy lunch at the Wagon