Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Level 1 user

Re: Giovanni Schoeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMan267 View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful info. I have a price list I will scan an put up an I wil take photos of all the ones we have I think one of them has a name written on it. His work is great to my eyes at least. Thank you all again.

Darkman -

Did you ever post your price list & photos?

Cheers,
shadowfax
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Level 1 user

I inadvertently posted the same commentary twice, so I have deleted this one.

Last edited by Magus1027 : 08-09-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Deleted - As it was a duplicate posting.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Level 1 user

I would be very interested in seeing what information you have on Giovanni Schoemann and the pictures you have of his works. I have seen photos of quite a few of his sculptures and figurines, but I'd be curious to see what others you might have. We have one sculpture by Schoemann. It is of a rooster and is made up of many types of metals and metal alloys. It is along the same lines as the Angel Fish sculpture discussed above, but considerably more intricate and complex. I have not seen any other Schoemann sculptures that are as complex as this one. That fact leads us to believe that it must have been one of his later pieces, perhaps even his last. From some research I did on Schoemann a couple of years ago, I know that his career was cut short when he was murdered in Southern California by, what appears to have been, a hit man hired by Schoemann's business partner in an attempt to collect on insurance money. The hit man is now in prison serving a life sentence. I have never been much of a fan of 'chicken' art, but we were absolutely fascinated by the intricacies and craftsmanship of this sculpture. Strangely enough, we bought it in a Goodwill store for $11.00. When we first saw it we thought is was some sort of painted plaster wall plaque. It wasn't until we picked it up and really looked at it that we realized that it was really an incredible work of art. It is signed "G. Schoemann", but there is no date. If anyone knows anything about this sculpture or could give us an estimate of it's value, we would certainly appreciate it. I have pictures of it on my computer. I tried to upload them to this forum but, the program seems to want a URL. I do not have them on a website, they are just jpg files. If anyone is interested in seeing them, you can send me your e-mail address and I could send them to you. Or if anyone can tell me how to upload them to this forum, I'd be glad to do that. Any information that anyone could give us regarding this sculpture would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: Giovanni Schoeman

Hey Magus1027 -

I'm interested in your pictures, please contact me at:

wrb5@prodigy.net

I might be interested in buying.

As for the value of the 'chicken' art, please see the website shown below:

http://avenuestosold.blogspot.com/20...next-time.html

Someone bought a copy at a flea market for $7.00 & sold it on ebay for something like $228.73 plus $69 shipping to the UK. Total cost was about $300.

Also, a similar schoeman piece, a bas relief fish of similar size & design, was listed on ebay in France. The auction was terminated when the high bid got to 171 euros, that's about $275 US. I guess it sold.

Cheers,
bb
wrb5@prodigy.net
772.473.7526 US mobile
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Level 1 user

Dear Shadow fax
I save sent my contact to you by Email.
Pls, check,,

Hope we can share some info.

VBR
Yuuki
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Level 1 user

Post Re: Giovanni Schoeman

Also, Here is my his works for reference.
Kind of fish...
This is no have edition#.

It was sold at one of traditional Japanese depertment store around 20-30years ago. I have heard it was 500,000JPY (5,000USD) at that time.
I believe this is one of original because of carved.egge is very sharp.

Also, I would like to see more other photo of his works.

VBR
Yuuki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6916s.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	9359  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6918S.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9360  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwe@xtra.co.nz View Post
Anyone with more photos of Giovanni Schoeman sculptures?
A friend has got Picture/Sculpture "Engelfisch" from Giovanni Schoeman.
He is interested to sell it . Any market for such a Picture/sculpture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_006-2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	9828  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_009.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	9829  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_012.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	9830  
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Level 1 user

Interesting debate I found this by googling Giovanni Schoeman after seeing one of his pieces come up on a TV auction. Well if you guys would like some information from the horses mouth?I worked with Gio in London in the initial start up operation from a small basement studio in West Hampstead circa 1969/1970 prior to that Gio had been casting at home in his flat in Acol Rd. NW6.I was his Studio manager and we were from the outset unashamedly commercial artists making copies of pieces using silicone moulds and cold casting techniques which was fairly new at the time although not invented by Giovanni Schoeman as claimed on some forums. That accolade should go to Alec Tiranti who introduced the technique to London via his sculpture tools/materials shop http://www.tiranti.co.uk/ We sold pieces initially on Bayswater Road and Green Park art markets and we were very successful. Contacts grew from our presence in the market and the business grew rapidly..There is of course a huge dialogue I could post but suffice to say that having made some money I decided I would like to see more of the world and went travelling as one did in those days ending up in Vancouver BC before returning to London two years later. By this time Gio`s operation had expanded to such an extent that it was now of factory proportions in Kentish Town Rd NW5 and in which I had no interest and no further contact with Giovanni.Soon after that Gio moved to California and I lost contact completely years later through friends I learned that Gio and his girlfriend had been killed in a shooting of which I have no details shortly after the move.
Regards Gary trilleen@gmail.com

Last edited by trilleen : 01-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
A friend has got Picture/Sculpture "Engelfisch" from Giovanni Schoeman.
He is interested to sell it . Any market for such a Picture/sculpture?
The pictures on Hessian backgrounds/Gold leaf frames were made circa 69/70 in the basement studio west hampstead london probably by me..