Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Level 10 user

Figurative sculptors website

Hi Everyone
There is a new website for figurative sculptors, to act as a showcase for all figurative sculptors to the general public and to provide a wide range of resources for learning. There is no cost, and we would love to show your work there too so please check us out.

http://figurativesculptors.com/
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Figurative sculptors website

Looks like a safe place for a certain type of modeler to discuss anatomy and proportion...realistic aspirings, and the nature of the "living master" or emiritus. Bet you're gonna get alot of the action-fig guys, and the body-casters will sneak-in too. But representation, realism and figuration are MUCH more than what is being offered as such there. Seems like it might be a quiet tight little club there - a china shop perhaps. I dont do well in china shops.

I know...you wouldnt want me over there anyways.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Level 9 user

The work I see there is outstanding. It Humbles one.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Looks like a safe place for a certain type of modeler to discuss anatomy and proportion...realistic aspirings, and the nature of the "living master" or emiritus. Bet you're gonna get alot of the action-fig guys, and the body-casters will sneak-in too. But representation, realism and figuration are MUCH more than what is being offered as such there. Seems like it might be a quiet tight little club there - a china shop perhaps. I dont do well in china shops.

I know...you wouldnt want me over there anyways.
Hmmm...all those categories, including "silent masters" from the 19th and 20th century, ancient greek and roman, portraits, current works, etc. Seems a wee bit more broad than a "china shop". I wouldn't expect a "Metal Mangler" website to include marble carvers or traditional realists, nor consider it a "tight little club" for leaving them out.

It is what it is, which is a fantastic, inspiring, broad-based collection of many artists past and present working in the figurative tradition, with plenty of new interpretations and modeling techniques to satisfy anyone who loves this type of work.

Some people see the glass as half-empty, and some see a very large chalice indeed.

Thanks Denis for the time and effort spent to put together this beautiful resource!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Level 10 user

Many metal manglers are vital figurative artists too....never blame the medium (or the style), the relevance is always to be found in continuing originality - NOT continuing adherence.

And yes...there ARE some pics of some good stuff on that site. The trick will be to check into the "critique" section and see the minds at work. Since it is in cyberland, THAT has to be.....something. We'll watch it. I bet they're all gonna be very nice to each other.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Level 10 user

...a nose is a nose is a nose...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Level 10 user

For Pete's sake, I did not notice there was a forum on the site, I don't think it was there last time I looked. Do I have time and verbosity for yet another forum?
Maybe it will be a nice change be on a forum where I'm not a pariah for liking traditional figurative art!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Level 10 user

I like traditional figurative art.

We are each of us a pariah, Glenn. It is only a lazy ability to compromise and a bestial insecurity that permits us to be otherwise.

god bless the pariahtic.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Level 6 user

'Metal manglers', I like that! Sounds kinda REAL to me, and creditable. Personally, I spend much of my time damaging stone, although I work very hard to conceal that fact in the final work.
The china shop? Or antique shop? But I still admire the technique, and even the vision - there's something 'masterly' going on here, and there is something these people are in love with that I'm half in love with myself, so it would disturb me to be critical when the world is full of bankers (now that IS mis-applied talent).....
Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Glenn.

Ev....Here is someone who came on today you might like. He works mostly in metal using a technique referred to as metal modeling. He is Gert Potgieter a South African Sculptor.

http://www.figurativesculptors.com/established.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potgietersample.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	13139  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Level 10 user

Damned nice looking technique there. I'd be interested in hearing his discussion of his process. As far as the critique of the figuration...I'd like to see what the folks there said about that as well. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Level 9 user

Don't be so down on yourself Evaldart, or I will cry.

I wanted to say about the "comic book art" that frankly the most refreshing, most imaginative figurative art these days seems to come from forms that do not owe allegiance to "Classical" art. Obviously, Thor, Batman and so on do come from the roots of literature and art. I feel that artists should examine the times in which they live. My "influences" were television and comic books, frankly. That sounds sort of crass, but it is the honest truth. I know more about Gilligan's Island than the Decameron-- and I don't care. I try not to be a fake-- you know, pretending to have the life experiences of a world traveler when the farthest I got from home was watching "National Geographic." I personally think that some artists spend too much time living in a fantasy world anyway. I even respect a bit more those artists who do figures of the people in their lives and communities, but who would be interested in a sculpture of the plumber, when you can sculpt the mighty warrior slaying a dragon?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post

I feel that artists should examine the times in which they live. My "influences" were television and comic books, frankly. That sounds sort of crass, but it is the honest truth. I know more about Gilligan's Island than the Decameron-- and I don't care. I try not to be a fake-- you know, pretending to have the life experiences of a world traveler when the farthest I got from home was watching "National Geographic."
You need not travel far to find books and read, certainly no farther to find a copy of Decameron than to find a comic book. There is nothing any more fake about someone reading classic literature than someone reading a comic book. And traveling does not bring you more life experiences than what YOU bring to those travels, be it to Timbuktu or the laundromat.

The times we live in gives us access unprecedented in history to information of every sort. Like a radio dial or television clicker, you choose the channel or frequency upon which you want to fasten your attention. Your attention gives power and life to that which it is connected. So, if you choose Gilligan's Island or the comic book channel, that speaks about you but not about the times we live in. And then there is inner space.....

Last edited by GlennT : 08-05-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Level 10 user

I'm with Glenn. The Decameron (or Njals saga,,,and more) will indeed provide you easily with as much effective figurative notions as the popular culture commercialities of modern illustration/graphics. That said, I WAS indeed a product of a youth spent devouring every aspect of the comic-book industry....when I was 13...a child. No, illustration/(your favorite graphic novel) is not addressing the significant potentials of figurative art. It is a stylized craft that is ever in servitude to a narrative. A treat indeed but thats all.

So, while it is easily possible to be inspired by ANY hero - ancient or modern - as an artist you must channel that enthusiasm through the labors of aesthetic exertion. Sorry, there is not going to be an easy way when it comes to art.

And no matter how much you love R Crumb and Frank Frazetta. you must recognize their talents as only halfway accomplished. They did not (care) to persevere.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Level 3 user

Quote:
I dont do well in china shops.
You seem perfectly comfortable standing out side and throwing stones, though. Some sculptors prefer depletive techniques- socially, it's just tedious and juvenile.

Next time somebody invites you to a party, remember that it's not necessary to delineate all the ways you image the party and its attendants will fail your measure.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Level 10 user

MV...do you suppose there is another place BUT the outside?...the illusion and distraction of any inside-ness is perhaps the greatest source of creative hesitance. And everything depends upon the discourse being as tedious and belabored as possible when the subject is (in this case figurative) significant form.

I dont get invited to parties....wonder why? hmmmmmm
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I dont get invited to parties....wonder why? hmmmmmm
To protect and preserve the food and beverage supply for other guests?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
To protect and preserve the food and beverage supply for other guests?

No, I think they're afraid they'll have to endure my piano arrangement of "Day in the Life". I've cleared a few rooms with that one.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
. The Decameron .... Sorry, there is not going to be an easy way when it comes to art. ... .
hmm Torello be damned--------easy uh huh
really easy after much hard work
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Everyone.....
For those new to this thread check out:

http://figurativesculptors.com/

See the "Venus von hohle fels" link on the front page. I just put it up and found it fascinating….

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venuslarge.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	13331