Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Level 10 user

Re: australian wedgetail eagle

Hey.....just noticed the key words " fence " and " Base " in your last post. Conjures up a notion of a combo. " Fencebase ". ......something a good number of sculptors might consider.

The idea that one of my/our sculptures might cause injury or death, drives me nuts. The wind, plain people, stupid stuff, heavy weight, all that.....getting a good nights sleep....keeping sculptures out of reach ( within reason ), what's a sculptor to do?

Lovin everything about this sculpture................
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Level 10 user

Thumbs up Re: australian wedgetail eagle

hey Rika,
sorry about not picking up the sarcasm its just some people are very passionate about animals not suffering so I thought you might be serious.
(guess Im just dumb)

Aaron,
The way I see it- With this intended heavy, moving weight suspended at height the questions I must ask are :

1. How good is my welding ?
2. Would I allow my grand children to play under it?

Conclusion : GO FOR IT !!!!!!!

Ive got a weekend to get it sorted if not I will put it in the competition with the straight pole and later on set up the fancy base when I put it in the garden at home.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Level 10 user

thank you everyone !!!!!
I tried to incorporate as many of your great ideas as i can. I now have a rotating sculpture mounted on a c shape mount. The eagle also occilates on the vertical plane and is will be counter balanced with a fleeing rabbit or hare . I gave it a spin this afternoon looks great. ( It will spin for 4 minutes on enetia alone from one push like a bloody great flywheel) the rabbit will be a bit cartoony , aware of the eagle chasing it , cheeky perhaps and most people will think its got an even chance of survival ( Easter bunny survives !!) I will post a shot soon as I do the bunny. I got to 9 Oct to finnish. thanks again for great ideas. Who said we cant do a collaboration.
cheers
Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Level 10 user

Looking forward to seeing it!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Level 10 user

SCRAPARTOZ, I like your attitude, work, work ethic, and am glad you are a part of this online community.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Level 10 user

sorry glen and Mack for not posting sooner. had a funeral and other family duties. Thanks for the support and encouragement , hoping to post on Sunday with the rabbit finished. the rotation of the bird improves the piece dramaticaly .With the rabbit i am hoping the viewer constantly changes view from the eagles eye and predatory stare to that of the rabbits sideways fearful glance and attitude of ' (Ihope)u cant get me' I havnt started the rabbit yet but i hope it dont look too much like a BugsBunny screen still , but that is the feel I am chasing in a different medium. I am hoping to have a play with filming the rotation and posting on u tube so I can get u guys n gal's reaction to the effect of the rotation and pivoting. cheers . hope to post soon.a
Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Level 10 user

No finished yet but you bet the idea. Bit of a rush job but generally Im happy with the result.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Sculptor

This is a FANTASTIC piece, Scrap. I've just looked back after about 2 weeks, even though I'm moderator of this section. I'm still busy personally recovering from our Katrina-related flood of the whole city of New Orleans about 5 years ago. Back in my house after waiting about 4 1/2 years, and I bought a 20-foot extension ladder yesterday to replace bulbs on my highest halogen holders.

One thing I do try to keep up on is the BBC and all its odd postings, especially in science and nature. With this magnificent creature under your belt, you might think of apparently the world's largest eagle later - the Asian Black Eagle that was in the news just a week ago. It was thounght to have a pure black form as well as the more common pattern of white streaks on wing, tail, and also legs. Finally a pure black was born of eggs from a wild pair. Pictures show only a few white feathers in the tail, as I remember.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Level 10 user

That rabbit looks great. Love the choice of materials, especially the ears and paws.

Would love to see a wide shot of the whole thing.

A truly magnificent piece.

Thanks so much for posting.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Level 3 user

Love the rabbit to. The caricature of it takes away from the violent finish if indeed the feathers overtake the hair. You have a good relationship with your materials. If you end up with some finished photos that need back ground deleting I have a little time on my hands..... Great work.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Level 10 user

Fritchie, thanks for the kind words. We dont have disasters of the scale of Katrina here very often that must have pushed all the wrong buttons for you folks. I will check out the Asian Black eagle . ( I might have to wait a year or two to renew my mower blade supply. thank you.
Aaron, thanks so much for the spin and tilt idea ....it works for me ( I hope the public like it.) Woz this what you meant? I have made a fence to keep the kids out of harms way.
Cougar, Yes the cartoony look makes the 'dinner' scene a bit more palatable.
Mums with kids will be able to tell them 'da wabbit got away.' From my perspective the bunny does have an even chance. maybe a story of the 'underdog' winning out??????
here is four more shots. I wont post for a while got trhe show in 4 days. Im looking 4ward to some R&R
thanks evald. if you hadnt slagged the horse mount i wouldnt have pushed myself to this stage and rika the prey idea woz inspiring/
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Level 10 user

Wow.......that really looks great.

You have changed my lawn mowing experience forever. Every blade of grass that falls before me will have this piece in my vision. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Level 10 user

Scrap, the "prey" (great bunny by the way) gave the work a storyline, which will keep people talking, and that is a good thing about public sculpture. I sure hope it will end up in a public place as opposed to a private home. Everybody should enjoy your excellent work!
Technically you solved the problems very well, but...I was thinking if the eagle ended up in its final destination, you could hide the base, supporting parts by digging a hole, and cover them with dirt. A few mounds would cover the base entirely. The sculpture would be even more enjoyable I think.
Great work, and good luck at the show!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

The prey was always there; it was a risk to actually include it. Since you once again handled the gesture very well it didnt do any compositional damage (I still dont think it was necessary). Base/structure underneath works great (except for the chains but they're easy to overlook). You have impressed yourself...and therefore the lucky lookers at the show need not be a concern. Good job Scrap.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Level 10 user

Excellent job! The rabbit gesture is great and I like how you went for an exposed ribcage versus solid metal there.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
ISC Member

ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!

Got a smile out of me...

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Level 10 user

I have nothing more to add--what every one else said.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Level 10 user

You did good, Scrap!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Level 10 user

thanks folks,..... for the votes of support, honest critique and compliments. this forum does have a wealth of knowledge ......its a shame i waited this long to listen. Ive decided to take the eagle to the show but not not to enter her in the $10k competition on Friday because it is an aquisition prize and I want to keep her with us at home and ,.......maybee ( fingers crossed ) in a few years I might get a bit more for her and the bunny combo. I am also very uneasy about public liability on such a work in a park. If I raise her up above child danger height then much of the work and effort ( on the back) will not be seen. If I fence her off it will look terrible and I can just see unsupervised older kids trying to get her up to 250 rpm on her rotating base. If something lets go ...big dramas for me. so I think I will keep her for now. Iwill post more shots when I get her in a better landscape for photos. I filled the bunnies chest and abdominal cavity with trucker tie down chain , you can see it through the horseshoe ribs( it really looks like intestines ick!)
Again thanks for all the clever and useful tips
andrew
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Level 2 user

scrapartoz...
I very much like your work, very very much like this piece. I am impressed with the way you solved the support problem... looks good, looks interesting. The support for a piece IS, sculpturally, part of it.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Level 10 user

thanks caril 4 the compliment. Unfortunately I cant take credit for the Eagle support as most of the motivation and ideas came from the good folks on this forum. Your monkey man is a fantastic but a little unsettling .the humanity hidden just under the surface is quite apparent I get the feeling he or she (the ape) is looking at me the same way I am looking at it and thinking : "wot are you looking at stupid?" and "so youngster ,you think your smarter than me ...do you?"
well done.!!!!!!! Where can you see this work going for its final display destination?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks... no idea where that one will go. I agree that it is a little unsettling.
That rabbit is so damn rabbity...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Level 10 user

deleted
Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Level 10 user

here are some shots thata kind stranger sent me of my raptor at beautiful Lake Jindabyne (NSW) during the easter Lake Light Sculpture Competition.[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]