Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Gallery commissions for bronze figures

You need to get yourself a proper web developer if he cant exclude bots and spammers by the normal ways. These measures are extreme and will damage your online business.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Level 10 user

ok, thanks mantrid i will discuss this with the site provider.a
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
You need to get yourself a proper web developer if he cant exclude bots and spammers by the normal ways. These measures are extreme and will damage your online business.
Be that as it may, it does speak volumes about Tim Anderson and his willingness to address this stuff...
There are tons of horror stories about web-hosts that can't be bothered to lift a finger for even the most basic requests.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Level 9 user

Yeah i wouldn't want to be a web server admin - seen it done, its a rotten job.
But i was connecting from a large university when i tried, so while there may not be many buyers there its cutting out a lot of people. Tho u know what students are like, the little hackers..
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby View Post
Yeah i wouldn't want to be a web server admin - seen it done, its a rotten job.
But i was connecting from a large university when i tried, so while there may not be many buyers there its cutting out a lot of people. Tho u know what students are like, the little hackers..
agreed! though isnt hackers spelt wiff an f?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Andrew,
I'm able to access your great site. One comment: I'd lose the "ballpark pricing" section...you probably have a good reason for it but I'd just deal with the inquiries as they come in and educate people about the price when you talk with them. Leave anything to do with money off your site and deal with it personally.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
One comment: I'd lose the "ballpark pricing" section...you probably have a good reason for it but I'd just deal with the inquiries as they come in and educate people about the price when you talk with them. Leave anything to do with money off your site and deal with it personally.
Definitely agree with Mack. I wanted to mention this in an earlier reply...
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Level 10 user

Right, no prices on website. Such things are so variable with us artfarts.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

thanks everyone. the learning continues.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post
There are tons of horror stories about web-hosts that can't be bothered to lift a finger for even the most basic requests.

Web hosts just provide webspace and tools for managing your website. The design and function of the website is the responsibility of the owner and any web develper he/she employs.

A web hosting company often provides a web development service but at an extra cost.

Either way denying access to IPs is not the approach. There are many approaches all involve scripting solutions rather than blanket blocking access to the server.

Also if you put a picture on a website you CaNNOT stop people from copy it one way or another, there are many ways of doing this. I think the best approach is to put some sort of watermark on the image preferably your web site address, and get free advertising from anyone who uses it elsewhere. They could with some skill and time photoshop this out but it would be easier to take a photo themselves.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM
ISC Member

To OP,
I feel your pain with the cost of bronzes -- I used your system (60/40) and found I made more $ selling the resins than the bronzes of the same pieces so I knew something had to change. What I got my galleries to agree to is that I get reimbursed for the wax cast and foundry costs first (not the mold) showing them a receipt if asked, and then we split the balance 50-50. This has worked well and keeps you from having to raise the price of the piece so high that nobody buys it. Good luck. Don't worry about renegotiating because if they won't move you just tell them you're sorry but you need to take your piece back and you'll happily keep supplying them with the ceramic pieces or resin or plaster casts. You also can try to 'train' them that their collectors need to wait for their bronzes: that they place an order, keeping the original bronze in the gallery for continued sales, and wait the 6-8 weeks or so to get their cast.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Level 10 user

traditionally a bronze in the UK was an equal three way split to the gallery, artist and foundry. it was entirely fair..... however the new breed of london galleries seem to have conveniently forgotten this rule, thats why bronze is in decline. its a lack of experience and superfluity of greed. its 50-50 for everything now so no one is prepared to sell bronze. sad. dont forget there are no qualifications for running a gallery, except accountancy and or a rich husband for the first year... oh and costs..a fast car and lots of restaurants and other lovely expenses, dont forget the maid....the lover and the expensive school for the possibly illegitimate progeny.

Last edited by racine : 05-25-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: extra vitriol n spit
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Level 10 user

Whats up with your website Jim? Its just a black screen with Firefox.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Level 9 user

Racine... yes its so convenient for galleries that there's always new artists coming up, they can 'forget' the old rules so easily and pull the wool over newbes eyes, habitually. I found out my bastard gallery was giving older male artists their costs off before the commissions were calculated... they didn't even work in bronze... but they sh*t on me, and were earning far more than me on each sculpture of mine that they sold, telling me this is how it works til you get a "name", and nobody ever gets their costs off. They lied. And there was no way they were ever going to give me a better deal, no matter what name i ever got, i found that out later.

The funny thing was they wondered why i wasn't, like, overjoyed when they sold some of my work. (why would i care? i didn't earn much, just enough to cast a bit more work)

Then the gallery ripped me off to the tune of many thousands of dollars in one hit, and i discovered their true colours.. some people are just not suited to be in control of funds, basically. Especially large sums given upfront for commissioned work. I ended up making a large scale work for nothing. Though it was so well received it was worth it, and hell, losing money is nothing compared to being indentured to an @$$hole like that, i'd rather have my soul!!!

No more gallery ties for me, i make each show a one-off and i negotiate my costs off first. This is obviously difficult for new artists, but really you got to wise up quick, cos you may trust your gallery, but most of them don't deserve it. I was fooled cos i wanted to believe i had a good gallery, who told me they thought of my best interests, but it was crap, just lies & manipulating. Thats what these gallery people are good at you know. Parasites some of em.

To tell the truth i wouldn't care if i never sold work again, i just make the stuff when i can afford to, cos i want to. People like it, i can sell it to friends.

Sorry bout the bitter chat people, but i want you all to know, take care of your own business, don't trust anybody. Its good, its empowering, if boring. Being lazy about your business interests will get you in trouble (argh who wants to know about that stuff!!!). Also, shop around, there ARE better galleries around. Believe in the worth of your work. Be strong and negotiate your prices with polite conviction. And if they don't like it they can get stuffed
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Level 10 user

Thank you for sharing that Furby. I will be more wary now. Without getting yourself into court. are we talking about one of the "well Known" and "connected" Sydney Galleries. What was the % they took from the Gross? From your story 'Bronze' seems a financially difficult path to follow for an aspiring and competent artist. Is selling online an option for you.? It would seem that if you are only getting X dollars return on your gallery shown work, then you could dramatically lower your price for private sale, which might generate quicker and higher volume sales giving a lager financial return. but i guess this sounds more like a factory than an artist studio. good luck with it!!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Level 9 user

The gallery in question was not a 'first string' gallery, they just thought they were. i'll PM you the name. They took 40% of gross.

Yeah i dunno it seems like with art (or motor sports jobs, or music jobs.. whatever you love) you basically 99% get screwed, and while you're young thats ok, its experience, you learn a lot from doing the work, getting exposure, finding your feet. When you're older the novelty is gone LOL.

i'm in a great position, i have a part time permanent job that i love, that pays me enough to live frugal (i worked toward this 'goal' for like 10 years). Income from sculpture goes into more sculpture. I'm satisfied, i don't worry about sculpting income, but its nice when it comes.