Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Level 10 user

australian wedgetail eagle

hi folks,
thought i would have a go at building an eagle from scrapmetal. I have a few progress shots and will submit more if there is any intrest as things develop. The wire you see for the wings is only a guide that will not be present in the finished product. I have heaps of industrial mower blades for the main feathers ---these will need to be individualy bent to match the desired curvature , power and beauty i am seeking. i have not yet designed the flow of tail feathers with wire so she looks a bit like a manta ray ( i guess they sort of fly underwater ?)
cheers
SCRAPARTOZ
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Re: australian wedgetail eagle

Looks great to me so far Andrew, head is very powerful...keep the pictures coming.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Level 10 user

Great start. Love the beak/mouth . Its got the eagle attitude that only eagles have.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Level 10 user

Great start, with a head that looks more eagle than scrap.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Level 10 user

Great start.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Level 10 user

thanks all for the support. I will post some more shots in a week or so.
SCRAPARTOZ
Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Sculptor

Very impressive start. That will be quite a monster when finished. What's the approximate wingspan - maybe 6 to 8 feet or so?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
hi folks,
thought i would have a go at building an eagle from scrapmetal. I have a few progress shots and will submit more if there is any intrest as things develop.

Please do!

And I have to say-- I realize the piece is not 'done', but the last image of the finished eagle-head in conjunction with the unfinished armature is stunning.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
ISC Member

You really captured the spirit of the eagle with that head. It even feels like it has built in speed. Looks great.

Ari.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Level 10 user

thank you fritchie, obseq and ahirschman
The eagle wing span will be around 12 - 14 foot. As some of you realize this can be a big problem with structural integrity. I am not an engineer but i am sure the vertical load at the armpits will be very close to exceeding the strength of the 2 inch heavy walled box section that the 'arms' slip into. Like the horse , this one will be able to be moved by one man through a household doorway so it is made in sections. the wingtips and primary feathers in one piece, the 'arms' (skeletal and musculature) in another, the array of secondary feathers in a single bank, a light textured wing covers , tail , chest and main mount , head and feet assemby.
I will use my lightest feathers out the furtherest. If i get problems with wing bend I can sneek a light web truss above the 'arms' and worst case a small strut under the wing. This is not a problem for the real bird with its light wings and the 'lift' that the clasic wing profile provides. I wanted steel not Aluminum so I am not sure if the laws of physics will defeat the council roller driver and bobcat man (me) we shall see !
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Level 10 user

Hey scrap. When are we gonna get some more pics of this one?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Level 10 user

hey Tobias
Im really upset i havnt been able to do anymore to the eagle.......... unfortunately i have lost every weekend over the last month to some sort of administative burden or another. The last was discovery of 'white ants' termites eating my house. which has resulted in me digging treches and using forbidden poisons to kill the little f...ers.
I hope to do some sculpture this weekend as it must fe finished by mid Oct . Will post when I do some work.
thank you for your intrest
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

As usual Scrapartoz, your choice of roller bearings, cogs, springs and other parts show a unique sense of composition, organization, creativity and charm (I don't see in your work shop)...
I like it very much and for the most part it seems light hearted to me. I wonder where you will go with this. I think you have more talent than you know.

Cheers,
G
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Level 10 user

Ditto that last. You have to finish it by mid-oct.; was this a commission or is it going to a show?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Level 10 user

thanks GIOTTO and Mack
Yes the shed is a bloody mess but I know where to locate everything ( the work safety inspectors would close me down if they saw it ) I normally do a clean up when i trip over more than three times a day (excluding alcohol induced accidents) I work in a frenzy if i stop to put away or sweep , i loose the last thought or idea. so I race from idea to idea.( sometimes in slow motion.) A most difficult task is taking, for example a piece of bent rod to the work for sizing and analysis then back to the vice for adjustment to a 3D plan just inserted in my head. Distractions are not welcome or helpful.
Mack Ive got a show that im going to enter in Lockhart NSW called " Spirit of the land" which is full of the stuff like i do. Its the second week in Oct so gotta pull my finger out. Apart from that I have found the sculpturing a bit of an addiction and i am most upset if I cant get out the shed to do more.
It fills a place in me that nothing else does.
cheers
Andrew
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Yes the shed is a bloody mess
It ain't brain surgery, which you can tell from the second photo with the ice chest next to the maul, under the eagle head. Metal scrap is a different way of working. You gotta have the parts, potential parts, discards(you'll use them later) always where you can see them. Its what makes visualization possible and work efficient.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Level 10 user

'spot on' joe u describe the process well
Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Level 3 user

scrapartoz, you have the look !
I kept a red tailed hawk once when I was a kid. It had been shot. I fed it by hand every day for three weeks. One day I wrapped a rag around my arm, covered its eyes and had it straddle up. Wouldn't you know the blind came of and I had a huge claw inches from my face and a view Ill never forget. Looks like you found the look ! Nice work I like the Berings and gears. I have to admit with my little shop it also gets cleaned out usually when I have to dig through piles of tools and material. Fly on Birdman !
Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks cougar for the compliment. do you have a link where I can view some of your work?
andrew
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
hey Tobias
Im really upset i havnt been able to do anymore to the eagle.......... unfortunately i have lost every weekend over the last month to some sort of administative burden or another. The last was discovery of 'white ants' termites eating my house. which has resulted in me digging treches and using forbidden poisons to kill the little f...ers.
I hope to do some sculpture this weekend as it must fe finished by mid Oct . Will post when I do some work.
thank you for your intrest
Scraptorz,

Howdy, I too join the list to wait for coming pics of your eagle. industrial sculpture using scrap parts is favourite to me. Regarding the f...ing wood scrappers, i also have a termite problem, but they`re raiding my roof. Long fight let me tell you. Diesel mixed with Creosol, (here called creolina), is a mix good to cure wood and make it unpleasant to termites. Great eagle!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Level 10 user

thanks nelson for the termite tip. i will see if i can get some of that stuff instead of using the arsenic trioxide ( old timer sheep dip )that will probably kill us all in the long run. lol

did some on the eagle today just the wing tips . will post more next weekend if i get a chance to do more.
andrew

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quite elegant wings.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Level 10 user

Great wings...I have quite a collection of lawnmower blades too. Very good object choice.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

thanks joe and evald. looks like im stuck with the carousel horse pedestal mounting again .any suggestians for something better than a bird impaled on a stick???.