Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Level 10 user

Re: australian wedgetail eagle

If the bird was just taking off, the claws could be still holding onto a 'branch' of some sort and support the whole structure that way? Or perhaps something that's been done a lot with eagle sculptures: plucking a fish from the water? (Unlike the osprey who'll dive underwater for its meal, the eagle manages rarely to get wet; just dips in its talons and snags its prey but actually prefers when it can, to take a fish directly from the osprey whose just caught one.)
(That's a lot of lawnmower blades. Wings are looking good.)

Last edited by Mack : 08-23-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Level 10 user

Yes Scrap. You could compose a sturdy piece of plate (1/2")...cut a profile that agrees with the the compositional direction of the figure. There are sweeps, curvatures and contours that could be advantaged that would not "stop" the gesture like the vertical stick. And I am not talking about letting the structural device become part of the sculpture...I am referring to a simple visually aerodynamic piece that will hold it aloft without being so unapollogetically functional. The same is true for anything of this nature...let that structural "stem" agree...but not participate.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Level 10 user

Your "eagle' is figurative not 'abstract'...let the support be figurative as well. The eagle lives in the trees and eats from the water and the land...since you can't 'hang' it in the sky, join it with something that is a part of its life as much as its beak is and its talons and its wings. Sorry to suggest more work for you but I think it may be worth your consideration.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Mack and Evald for sound advice. I did consider 'the tree branch mount' but my original concept came from a 'T' shirt design from 35 odd years ago which had a large rat giving the eagle "the bird' gesture moments before impending doom in the extended talons about to grasp it. there was wording : "The last Act of Defiance" So the eagle is coming in at speed about to grasp prey and has 'opened up' all its plumage as air brakes to slow for landing and stability with its prey. given the weight of the bird i thought that the talons could not be made strong enough to support the stresses acting on the wing mounts.( from wind ,drunks and unsupervised children) if the talons were the primary method of attachment to the mounting assembly So i think I will select Evalds suggestion of a fancy mount that compliments but does not compete with the bird. I can remember 'groovy' ,'space age ' looking clear plastic mounts that came with model aeroplanes when i was10 . I am trying to remember which way they were curved. food for thought . thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Level 10 user

"... wind ,drunks and unsupervised children" I see what you mean. I had a large sculpture recently refused for a public space because it could be a safety problem, not for the drunks and wind but for climbing kids. Be interesting to see what you come up with to support your bird.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Level 10 user

thanks mack that must have been heartbreaking for you to have it turned down for that reason.. i am sure that sculpture from this era will be recognised in future years by the 'vexative litigant' component. When I look at art in my regional citly I see objects out of reach or much over engineered with all smooth rounded edges. Its strange that now the artist must now consider the functuality of himself / herself /the new owner not getting sued by some low life after easy money.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Level 10 user

Actually I agreed with that particular decision..I hadn't thought about the little rascals. Recently,I just had a life-size bronze installed at an outdoor show in South Dakota and sat nearby and watched as parents hoisted their young-uns up so they could touch and grab at it. They probably thought that they were doing something valuable for the kids aesthetic development:"hey... you have to touch sculpture, right?" Maybe they're right and the kids will benefit from it; who knows?

Last edited by Mack : 08-24-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Level 10 user

yes i must agree mack we must protect children who are unsupervised.
For them art is happiness , amazement and wonder. They are not interested in depth or adult concepts so i spose climbing 'it' is a natural thing. I just think fences really detract from the work and all work cant be made 'safe'
Mack wotz your current artistic obsession , and how is it progressing?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Level 10 user

I finished and cast in bronze the Sumo as a wedding gift for my son John and also a small abstract for his wife Maggie. They were both surprise gifts and I think they both liked them. I also finished a clay enlargement of an earlier design but am holding off molding it, until gallery business picks up. This month put ten pieces in a new gallery in California and two were purchased and are on their way to Hong Kong. (very welcome surprise!) But aside from getting that up and running, I don't have much going on in terms of new work right now. With me it comes and goes. (mostly goes.)

Last edited by Mack : 08-25-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Level 10 user

Mack thats incredible! are you saying you can produce 10 works in one month !!!! or did you have them in stock and found them all a gallery for them in that period of time?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Level 10 user

No, sorry about that, these were all bronzes that were finished and waiting for somewhere to go. This new gallery is a beauty though, in a great location, with an experienced staff. I've known the owner for years, very trustworthy. We're all hoping it works out.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Level 10 user

sounds like that after a lot of hard work u have found the recipe for success well done my friend . life isnt always a shit sandwich without bread
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Level 10 user

not always...but for too many, too often, I'm afraid it is.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:49 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
Old 08-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Level 3 user

.....Sorry for the late response been busy fighting hives. Nice flight feathers it is coming around quickly. Loosing a feather or two may give the eye a place to stop for a moment, but looks perfectly fine as it is ! I know you said this eagle is approaching its pray , if not a snake could add reinforcement with out a weighty look.
.....This is my painted work. I only have one piece I can pass of as a three dimensional here. Mostly very old work I'm working on refreshing soon trying to move forward.
Relief of a lion in plaster with bronze like patina.
http://en.artscad.com/@/RaulDSegura
.....I'm just an observer at this time,haven't produced for some time, working on building a torch / furnace, no funding at the moment, just paper and pencil.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Raul for the tips. I thought the feathers looked a bit uniform but on closer observation they are all unique with different wear patterns from the mower use. I guess I can beat it up with a sledgehammer when Ive finished if I want a bit more 'random ' and 'irregular'. lol. I like your work and in paricular the 'progenitors taciternity' there is something special in that piece of art that I can connect with,.... but Im not sure exactly what that is. I do like it.
Keep up the good work. show us some more 3d stuff please.
Andrew
Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Level 3 user

I SEE LOTS OF VULTURES HER WITH RAGGEDY LOOKING WINGS . AS SAID, YOUR BIRD LOOKS JUST FINE KEEP POSTING AS I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE TAIL WORKED IN. USUALLY TRY AND KEEP MY COMMENTS TO AESTHETICS AS I'M MORE AN OBSERVER NOW. THANK FOR THE INPUT ON MY PAINTING. ILL GO WORK ON MY TORCH NOW AS IVE GOT YEARS OF CATCHING UP TO DUE.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Level 10 user

thanks cougar. i will try the tail this weekend. Ive finally worked out my connection to your painting. it reminds me of an award winning photograph on the cover of time/ life ? known as 'the Afghan Girl' the image was that popular that Nat Geo or similar even made a search for the young girl 20-30? odd years later. your painting for me, has the same strength and hypnotic allure in your girls eyes as the award winning image to which i refer.. a success for you .well done
Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Level 3 user

Beautiful girl, Blue-green eyes. It really was a striking photo. Yes I remember, I might have to re-due a new version. Its a humble painting thanks. Ill cech up with you after the weekend.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Level 10 user

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Level 10 user

I think this is looking great! Any ideas yet for what the main support is going to look like?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Level 10 user

thanks mack.
i think the support pole will become a flowing 'c' shape with the top of the c curving backwards parallel to the angle of the birds body. i have no idea how it will go untill i start ,...but as evald intimated, a straight pole looks pox, so its gotta go.
andrew