Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Level 3 user

Re: australian wedgetail eagle

Hows about this for the stand ? Hope you don't mind the fix.
My little Pomeranian got torn up by a red tailed hawk four years ago, no sh#t !
She was mistaken for a rabbit by a young bird. 800.00 bucks later shes doing fine.
Very smart dog, is it a mix ?

In respect to your the stand, you could print, B.&w. several angles of your bird and sketch the stand design in before going to metal ?
You could see how the visual weight will effect your work with little effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	12691  

Last edited by cougar : 09-09-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Level 10 user

thanks cougar. I am amazed how better the photo and bird look without the stand. I will use your edit if you dont mind. thanks. Good idea about drawing the new stand options on the image . i'd better get busy as I cant see a good looking solution yet. im hoping a light bulb comes on at some stage.cheers
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
thanks cougar. I am amazed how better the photo and bird look without the stand. I will use your edit if you dont mind. thanks. Good idea about drawing the new stand options on the image . i'd better get busy as I cant see a good looking solution yet. im hoping a light bulb comes on at some stage.cheers
Your eagle is simply awesome!

To finish it you could go with the unsighty pole or akin idea or come up with a more creative one that would complement more aesthetically such great work. As some suggested, either a rock, a stump, or a fish, could be the perfect link to support the eagle to the ground. Here`s a similar idea: if you like the fish one, you could anchore it with an uderground pedestal, dig the dirt around, cover it with mesh an concrete and fill it with water: a perfect setting for your bird. I`m sure anybody may want to have it installed somewhere if they got the bucks...
congratulations.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Level 10 user

You know Scrap, I'm thinking that this support maybe the most difficult part of this piece...descending bird ...but on what? ...to what?...at what?...glad you have till Oct.!

Last edited by Mack : 09-11-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Level 10 user

Thank you Nelson and Mack. I agree, now that I can see that there is a problem with the pole it is going to be the biggest hurdle.
I do like the fish idea but these buggers go after young kangaroos, feral cats ,rabbits and cute young lambs. I am still waiting for the light bulb to come on. ( its cool I got 3 weeks to get it sorted.
i did the claws / talons yesterday and the legs mostly done today . will post when I have made changes to the joining of these two items . I was most impresssed yesterday after finishing the nasty feet with talons . I showed them to my dog ( one claw in each hand) and it was terrified and ran away. Cant beat an honest appraisal based on pure instinct LOL . I confirmed this with a later 'viewing ' ( so this is what dog nightmares look like)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Level 10 user

Interesting experiment with the dog. poor pup.

regarding the support:
a diagonal coming from the ground extending a bit beyond the eagle
a globe
a small car
a shape that looks like its shadow on an angle
something that looks more like a tether attached to its leg
upside down on a grill
a stack of books
a stack of rubble-- phoenix-like
a politician
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Level 10 user

...a pile of scrap metal, Escher -like, transforming itself into an eagle.
(that ought to be a cinch!)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Interesting experiment with the dog. poor pup.

regarding the support:
a diagonal coming from the ground extending a bit beyond the eagle
a globe
a small car
a shape that looks like its shadow on an angle
something that looks more like a tether attached to its leg
upside down on a grill
a stack of books
a stack of rubble-- phoenix-like
a politician
GROMMET;

...brightest idea, and broadest array to choose from: politicians

SCRAP...,

If you make an animal as for the prey linking eagle-ground as supporting means, that`s going to be a heck of work, and some how another element that rests a bit importance to main subject: YOUR eagle. Seems the easiest might be a sturdy stump with a branch where the eagle is landing on or taking off from...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

An idea I had, which may or may not have merit, is to suspend the eagle by tension from cables from above or from the sides, such as from two trees.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
ISC Member

It's a predator!

Have it picking up some poor animal by the shoulders and as the animal is stretched out from ground up to the talons of the bird it can serve as the support.

Just not that poor little dog...

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

thank you everyone for some great ideas. i shall process them all at work today whilst driving the 'steamroller' along the seldom used roads out here.
thanks again
Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Level 10 user

Hi all, finished the feet and legs tonight. the talons are old 'bag hooks' from my farm. they came with a wooden handle and were used to move wheat bags in the days before 'bulk handling' the other components are agricultural tillage tips and grain seperators off a harvester. I can see why the dog woz scared if i wos her size and these were coming to get me.I will do the thighs once mounted on the bird. the legs and ankles pivot so I will be able to adjust to the 'best' stance later on .
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Level 10 user

Great shapes for the purpose!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Level 10 user

Thinking about your eagle this morning and seeing the talons, I think that the support should be narrow enough that it doesn't interfere too much with the dramatic view from the front (PhotoShopped pic) and as G ,I think, was suggesting, definately behind the talons: a triangle (diagonal) of steel plate?...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Mack that sounds cool and would look great like most of the suggestions offered. I have been thinking about some sort of botanical mount. Ive got some great bits to make a plant/ tree of some sort (a banksia perhaps? ) I think the risk is competing with the sculpture and some scale issues. Unfortunately i have to work with what I ve got in my scrap pile so buying some plate is not possible at present. I will go for a C shape but try do disguise its function by turning it into a plant of sorts. thanks everyone for being helpful with great options.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Level 10 user

hi all, nearly finished the eagle. a bit more on the underside and a few small changes. then the big job of the stand/ base . i am now confident i can do something botanical that wont 'stuff up' the piece. will post in a week or so
if i havnt embarrasssed myself.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Level 10 user

Looking real fine! What did you color it with?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Level 10 user

It's really impressive with the added talons, I wish it could be suspended. Anything under the talons will be intrusive I'm afraid. I really liked that edited picture with the dog, made me wish for a second piece, the prey (not the dog!), and the bird stooping at it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

thank you Mack and Rika,
Mack the 'colour' is just common fish oil. It will preserve and, in a week or 2 will go a bit matt in colour which will remove the surface reflections and improve the appearance.
Rika . I cant agree more... Cougar's post shows what the finished product as it should look like. Glen's idea of cables would be the way to go .but havnt got the time or logistics to make it happen by early Oct for the show.
The 'prey base' would work aesthetically , but I have not designed the engineering structure of the piece for the legs to support the 300+ lb load.
It would require a complete rebuild.and although a good image for Nat Geo I dont think the children and public want to see a baby joey kangaroo about to die painfully in a violent embrace. Unfortunately my solution will look like one sculpture on top of another. ( but for some reason I think it will work out despite the Banksia tree being an attractive abstract? distraction)
I am just as excited about the stand/ base now, as any part of the eagle.
thank you for your intrest.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Level 10 user

Is it too late to suggest the eagles talons around the neck of a millionaire? (billionaire?) with his ill-gotten gains, on his way to the bank. (Fat enough to support easily the weight of the piece?) Maybe you don't have enough time.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Level 10 user

Perhaps the public would be happy with a happy end: the joey fighting back, as in real life.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Level 10 user

Concerning the Base, perhaps a nice arc of leaf springs...with a swivel bearing up top and an axle thrust bearing and counter weight below on a heavy base with talon stakes. A bit of bounce and rotation in relation to the wind would be appropriate for a winged sculpture such as this.

Whatever the base, heavy, wide, staked.....it must resist the strongest winds.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Level 3 user

Mack......
............sorry couldn't stop laughing, some one came to mind, I see a fat cat with pants.
This is really a tough one. cables are really the way for this piece hanging in a spiral staircase.
the picture with your hands and the talons really project how big this piece is !

How about making separate objects like rocks brush and long grass below. The support could be attached to a wing at an angle and off center like grass shape ? (a downed tree branch in a lake could be placed awkwardly as part of the base ), or perhaps a rock, hidden partly by grass. You could spread the rest of these parts out as you wish just to balance the attention away from the base. This could also give a swooping down motion in place of the fat cat that Mack mentioned. Water would work because parts can sit separately like in the flat surface of water. Otherwise Id guess this bird hunts in dry places.
Probably not safe for children and much more work than anticipated...........really a tough one.

Last edited by cougar : 09-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks everyone for fantastic feedback, humour and advice.

Mack I would love to see a few local politicians in the grips of this beastie as well as the odd real estate and used car salesperson

Rika. A happy ending would be nice but not easy to producde. i have seen the wedgetail go after a young 'roo and it is not a pleasant sight. The 'roo does a fair bit of zig zagging and keeps its head low and its ears low and pointed to the rear ( the danger) There is an unmistakable image of sheer terror.. Dont really want to share that in 3d.

Aaron I like your idea so much I am going to give it a go. i like the idea of it moving on 2 axis . The illusion of moving flight will neutralise the superfluous hardware supporting it . thank you . I thought about it today and think I can do it.

Cougar. The Safety factor does bother me a bit. When I made the talons I curved them more inwards and under ( than what I wanted)to reduce the chance of a child 'hooking up' on them .( a horrific scenario) Im goin to have a low chain? fence . but that wont stop unsupervised children. I will raise it above 5 year old head height I think.

Also I hadnt thought about staking the base . That will relieve some of my fears of an accident. thanks again
andrew
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Scrap, I was just being sarcastic in my last comment.