Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
ISC Member

Re: My first public monument!!

Alfred, congratulations on this. Glad to hear you are contemplating an evocative turn in his head -- I think it will help bring movement to the piece, bring 3-d to the form, and address some of Glenn's comments about letting the stance/gesture speak to the internal energy or vision of the person, in this case your idea of his looking beyond the present into a -to-be-built-through-his efforts future. Good luck with the process!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Bob. Yeah, he's coming along nicely. Just haven't had time to download pictures yet. It's tough trying to work full time and be a new dad. This project is barely underway and I'm already not getting as much time in the studio as I'd like. Still, I work really fast, so what little time I do get, I make the best of.

I should have pics soon. I needed to a address a slim shoulder problem, but that's been fixed now. I'm onto working the smaller forms and the portrait now. Should have it wrapped up by the weekend or mid week next week at the latest. Then I can get back to my creature sculpts while I wait for the approval on this one.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Level 10 user

Finally got around to downloading and uploading photos. It's been a crazy few weeks around here and I'm very tired (not just from working but also being a dad). I'm only showing a handful of photos of the progress, because there are far too many to share on this thread. I'll give you just the highlights so you can see how the piece changed from day to day and week to week.
Enjoy!!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Level 10 user

Face looks great Alfred but to my eye(maybe it's just the camera) the shoulders and body look a little narrow compared to the size of the head (shrinkage in bronze may accentuate that).
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Wow, that is some impressive progress! Thanks for the updates.
Are you using expanding foam on the armature?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Level 10 user

Mack, the camera does seem to be slimming him a bit. When you see the maquette in person, it looks right. I've checked the size many times and things look good, but every time I take a picture, it always looks slim. Once he's 9 feet tall and his head is 14 feet off the ground, maybe it'll look small. If I need to, I'll shrink the size of the head slightly during the enlargement.

Obseq, yes that's expanding foam on the armature. I want to bulk out the figure quickly and keep it light weight, as this piece is not only the maquette, but it's also a presentation piece to show the city council. It needs to travel around a bit and I didn't want it too heavy.

Clients coming by today for a final look. The meeting with the city is on the books for the 17th. That's when they'll give us the final verdict on whether they want the big sculpt or not.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Level 10 user

the detailing of trouser legs is admirable, as for upper arms, the crispness of suit is photographic and sharp and hat slides lovely along the knee. classic. i think this is good work. way too sexy for a town council.
prefer the plain collar without bow tie, u r right to do this, it is far more natural and approachable. damn good. will u do the enlargement????

Last edited by racine : 01-16-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: i like the shoes and base interface..spot on
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Racine, I'm having it digitally enlarged. That's why I've spent so much time on the maquette. I want it to be as close as it can be to the finished sculpt. Plus, the client is going to want to purchase a copy of the maquette as well, so I want it to look good at this scale. I really wanted a natural pose. Something that made it feel like a moment in time. In the end, my hope is that you get the sense of Sunset with a breeze at his face. I've added plenty of subtle things to create a narrative in the piece, but most people will probably be too unobservant to realize they're there. I didn't want to hit them over the head with it either. When I explained all the things to the client, she had to pick her jaw up from the ground, and was so excited that the sculpture was more than just a portrait of her Great, great, grandfather.

Oh, I've made some subtle changes since these photos were taken. Kind of all over the sculpt, but mostly in the jacket and pants. I'll take photos of the piece once the final decision is made and I'll post them up.

Cheers!!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Level 8 user

Good stuff!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Level 10 user

Well, it's official!! I got the approval from the Arcadia City Council last night. Looks like I'll be creating my first public monument after all. I'm excited to get this part of the project under way. While I've worked large scale before, this is the first time, I'll be using a foam enlargement from a digital scan, and it's also the first time I'm doing a full figure at large scale. Most of the other stuff has been busts and torsos at Twice Life Size. This will be a fun process and I hope to continue to post progress photos as I go along, all the way up to the dedication this Summer. I have some photos of the finished maquette, after some minor changes, that I hope to be posting later this week.

Cheers!! and thanks for all the wonderful comments!!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Level 10 user

Congrats Alfred!

One comment and I'll leave you alone to bask in the glory. :0)

This may be partially the fault of the photos, but it seems the chest area needs to be beefed up. I'm seeing it as somewhat flat and the emphasis of contour happening at the belly. Even if he was thin, exaggurating the forward or convex shape of the chest would add substance to his character and work better with what you have done in the face.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Level 10 user

I'm glad you saw that Glenn. I saw the same thing and addressed that issue before presenting it to the client and city council. His chest area is more "beefed up" now along with some other subtle changes. I'm sure that as I get the full scale piece going, further things will need to be addressed as they become more apparent in the large scale.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Level 9 user

Congratulations! Lovely to get a public work!
Hope you might grace us with some photos and description of how it is digitally enlarged.. sounds fascinating indeed.
p.s. i would advise to close in the hat, as it will become a rubbish receptacle, if not a bird nest, with time.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Level 3 user

Glad you got the okay to go ahead. Will be interested to see how you make out with the digital foam enlargement. I had contacted a firm in Burbank Calif. about doing some work and they seemed very reliable and reasonable, Cyber F/X I think was the name. My concern would be the level of finish they can attain. Since yours is such a distinct almost photographic rendering will your enlargement people be able to get that or will you have to do a lot of finish work afterward?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Level 10 user

Furby: I will do my best to show the process, but I won't be there during the milling of the foam. And as for the hat, I'm way ahead of you. The hat is already filled in, even in the maquette.
Sculptor7: CyberFX is one of the companies I'm considering. I'll be stopping by tomorrow for a tour and a quote. I'll also be visiting Daniels - another company that does enlargements. I will also most likely be covering the foam in oil clay to get the surface the way I want it. I'll know after I see their samples first hand.

Cheers!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Level 10 user

Alfred, since this will likely be sand-cast i expect oil clay modification on the enlargement is fine, however best check with the foundry first as they may have material preferences [hardness]. depends on the process employed of course.. always helps to be prepared.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

Racine, this will be cast using the Lost wax method. Ceramic shell molds. Pretty typical for most foundries. I'll be molding the full scale piece in silicone and taking the molds to the foundry for them to pour their waxes. It'll be cast in many parts and welded back together.

There's been some last minute changes from the client last night, so I'm going to be held up another week, making the changes and then cleaning up the sculpt. Should get it to the enlarging folks in a little over a week.

More pictures to come later.

Cheers!!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry for the delay in getting some progress images to you guys. The sculpt had some last minute changes and it has now been scanned and enlarged in foam. I'll be adding some detail back into the foam this week and getting it ready for the clay. I hope to have some time to upload pictures and share what the piece looks like.

Hang in there, there will be stuff coming soon.

Cheers!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Level 10 user

Looks fantastic Alfred. I'm really interested in the enlargement process. There is a company just down the street from me that does large scale foam pieces for amusement parks. I toured there facility and found that they do a lot of work post foam milling.
Congrats man!!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Level 10 user

Okay guys, sorry for the long absence. I simply have a ton of work and very little time to do stuff online. I've taken many pictures of the process and hopefully I can get those downloaded and posted up here for you to see. But for now, I thought I'd post this picture:

This is the first time I assembled ALL the various parts. I've been checking part to part for alignment and seeing how things look, but I hadn't seen him with all the parts attached. He's been keyed and pinned together, but not permanently glued together. I'm keeping him in separate parts so it's easier to work on him. Plus he'll be molded in separate parts, and it's easier to do that now, than to try and cut him up later. His head, hands, hat, upper torso, and legs/base are all separate parts. The head and hands have been pinned together using square stock and a pin. The upper and lower halves have been joined by a key I made out of foam. He's supported in the back by a couple of pipes holding the upper and lower halves. He's actually stable on his own, but once I start pushing on him to apply the clay, he's going to start shaking, so the pipes keep him sturdy and are still easy to remove when I want to take the pieces apart.

I'll try and have more stuff for you guys soon.

Cheers for now!!

Alfred
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

From what I can tell in the photo it looks like a fine job that will result in a successful sculpture to be proud of. Even in the small photo it reads well, and the expression on the face looks good. The one area that could stand improvement (again, judging from one photo) is his right arm (not holding the hat) from elbow to shoulder. It reads as being stiff and not relaxed or quite in character with the rest of him. Otherwise, right on, bro!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Level 10 user

great work alfred thank you for sharing the process. i think the right arm is fine. it contributes well to the gesture and attitude that I i read in the man.(impatience, ill at ease at being delayed by the viewer , awkward??????????)
Was this intentional?
Looks damn fine!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

Looks great, Alfred! I agree with Scrap, the right hand's gesture is the best feature of the sculpture, it gives tension to the character, together with the right foot. The hat sort of fades into the background, diminished in significance because ot the strong presence of the right limbs. If the left hand was raised a bit, the hat could be at an angle, not parallel with the leg, which could give purpose for the hat in my opinion. I remember some concerns about folks using the hat as a trash can, that could be the reason for your choice but I wonder if the hat could be given more significance. Nothing major about it, it's just my idea of justifying the use of accessories whenever I decide to use them...

Great accomplishment, Alfred, your girl will be proud of her daddy!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. The right hand was done in a way that conveys (subtly) that this man was one not to be messed with. A gunslinger, and quick to anger. But all that without giving him a gunslinger's hand or stance. He's at the ready for whatever. The hat at his side, is just the end of a gesture. He's taken his hat off as he looks towards his home. There's a gentle breeze at his face (you can get the feeling of that with the coat, as it lifts in the front).

Overall, I tried to give as much of the story of Lucky as I could, in a single piece.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
it contributes well to the gesture and attitude that I i read in the man.(impatience, ill at ease at being delayed by the viewer , awkward??????????)
I think Scrap nailed it here, definitely lending itself to Alfred's explanation of a "man not to be messed with".
Thanks again for the progress pics, Alfred!