Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Let's See Some Work!!!

thanks for showing pics of the french mold and explaining Alfred. i am very interested in learning how to make different molds so it is much Appreciated
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

Sculptr97 - it's oil based clay (Chavant [i]La Beux Touche[i]). I use the HM or high melt version because I live in Southern California and it gets hot out here. My studio is always a comfortable 75 degrees but if I have to take the piece to the foundry to get molded, then it's quite likely that it would melt in the car. As to preference, it depends on what I'm working on and how much time I have. If it's life size or larger, I usually use water based clay because I can bulk it faster. If it's small and needs a lot of detail I use harder oil based clays. If it's something I know I'm not going to have time to finish, then I use the La Beux Touche. In the case of Mike's portrait, I had my clay warmer ready to go and a simple pipe armature standing by so I decided to use the oil based. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to cast it (thought I might leave it in the clay, so water based would've been a bad idea) but then Mike mentioned he'd like a copy so I decided to mold it.

Alfred
Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

Hey, sculptr97, GlennT, Alfred and Tlouis, thanks for the positive feedback on the Lincoln bust. Sorry I am just now getting back on these boards to reply--had a tight sculpting deadline and then taxes. I see what you mean by his eyes, Fritchie. It's a hard call about how to sculpt Lincoln because I specialize in portraits and tend to sculpt them pretty realistically. I studied every photograph of Lincoln I could find and read much about his suffereing from Marfan's syndrome. Because of his ailment his eyes became more weak as he aged, actually his left much more so than his right eye, with his left eye floating above the white part of the eye. However, most all portrait sculpture of Lincoln is not true to how he actually looked, it is instead very heroic looking, because Lincoln was a heroic figure in our history. I did sculpt part of the weakness/tired eyes that he had, but I made them symetrical, which they weren't, because it was a maquette for a committee. I didn't want the committee to view the portrait and think that I couldn't sculpt well, if they didn't know that his eyes were purposely sculpted unsymetrically (hope that makes sense, I'm tired from doing our taxes).

In anycase, it is a good question about whether our monuments, when they are portraits, should show an idealized version of the person or their human frailties.

Much creativity to you,
Paula
Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

Very, very nice portrait, Alfred. I hope you get the commission!! Speaking of idealizing portraits, the soldier that you sculpted the portrait of probably has ears that do stick out as you have sculpted them, but you might want to bring them in just a tad if you get to sculpt the half life size full-figure commission. I think the overall look would be a bit more appealing.

Have a great day sculpting!
Paula
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Sculptor

Re Berinje, post 103. Right, realistic figure sculpting is much more complex and interpretive than many people recognize.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Level 1 user

Hi I'm new and I don't know if I am making a mistake or not, but please let me know and be kind, lol.

I want to share my newest baby sculpture. Her name is Irina and I sculpted her in polymer clay. Please take a look and tell me something Thanks in advance

http://www.artsndolls.com/auctiondet...Girl&id=105745

Love, Glo
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Glo, as far as the sculpting goes, it looks really good. personally I find the realistic baby sculpts (especially when dressed in actual clothing) a little creepy. That's just my opinion, so don't take it a s a personal slam or anything. I think sculpturally, it's very good.

Alfred
Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Level 1 user

work in progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	8268  
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Level 10 user

I was going to post this in my "Ressurecting a sculpture" thread, since it has to do with reusing a sculpture; but I figured since I've already posted pictures of Mike (the Marine) in this thread, I'd keep them together.

I did this yesterday for some fun and because I get bored easilly. Mike's portrait survived the mold making process really well, so instead of just tearing it down (as is my normal routine) I decided to have some fun with him. I was going to make him into an alien (a'la Star Wars) but then decided that Mike as "Doc Holiday" was funnier. This is about 4 hour of goofing around. I added the mustache, soul patch, side burns, tilted his head, changed the direction of his eyes and added the hat of course. I also did some stuble work on his face, but I don't think it's noticable in the photos.

Anyway, just another fun experiment.

Alfred
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doc Holiday Mike0001.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	8328  Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Holiday Mike0002.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	8329  Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Holiday Mike0004.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	8330  Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Holiday Mike0005.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	8331  Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc Holiday Mike0006.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	8332  

Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Level 2 user

This piece is part of a series of figurative sculptures I did in conjunction with a written Mythology. There are more if anyone is interested.

Boolean Limbo (MAN OF VISION)
Boolean thinks in algebra with what he believes is unassailable logic. For him life is a series of equations. If you do this then I will do that, but if you are who you are then I can be an ass to you. In doing this he misses essential essience of being a Limbo. It is not freedom of thought that makes their life meaningful but rather freedom from thought. There is a pseudo-intellectual air around all that he does. Unlike Brian, Boolean does have deep thoughts. These thoughts are unfortunately almost always spectacularly misdirected.
It is well known that he wants to be called “MAN OF VISION”. To humor him he is sometimes given that title when on public display in art shows. He is neither a man nor does he have even adequate vision. He does however have a noble bearing and a regal attitude. His “blocked vision” often causes people to question the nature of vision and self-deception giving them insight into their own mental landscape. This is a wholly unintended; some would say beneficial effect of his physiognomy. But for him it’s all about the chin.
He is the first Limbo created to be cast in a two part polyurethane mold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boolean Patina Brown 3.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	9159  
Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Level 10 user

It's interesting with all the background info of the character. I think the story makes him more interesting than he would be on his own. The base seems awkward and not well though out. It looks like a severed head on a brick. Perhaps a better base design, would improve the overall design of this piece. Good luck with the rest of them, it's certainly an interesting project.

Alfred
Old 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Level 10 user

I agree with what Alfred has said. Without the story, it looks like a brick fell off a shelf and landed on your clay head, and you decided to cast it that way. Usually a work of art that relies on a verbal explanation is trouble for the general public, but the delight of art critics.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Level 10 user

It's interesting and uncommon to see a boolean operation on an organic form. In CAD and in architectural design they are commonly used (to cut out windows from walls and stuff) and I think there are 12 kinds of Boolean operations. This one is a Boolean "union" or joining of two distinct volumes.

Other kinds may be boolean subtraction, (an empty space where the rectangular form would be) boolean intersection (where only the overlapping parts would appear).. Volume 1 cut by volume 2, volume 2 cut by volume 1, surface 1 over 2 and surface 2 over 1 and on and on,..

Anyway,... I dig it.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Level 10 user

Well that clears everything up Steven. I was starting to think I too am "Thick as a Brick".
Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Level 10 user

" Boolean Subtraction"; another good name for a rock band.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Level 10 user

I don't often work in clay, I'm more of a carver. This piece is in reality 3. On one side male and the other female. I need for a project in bronze, two high reliefs of exactly the same size--one the male side and the other female. They will sit in profile contemplating a much bigger copy of themselves setting in a niche-a womb.

This is an idea I've treated in photo and now in bronze (If I can find a patron) and has to do with, for some strange reason I've yet to understand myself, creation, creativity, art and the sacred nature of the act of creation. They themselves have created themselves and are a creation of themselves and are pregnant with themselves. Does this make any sense?

Robert Derr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG5449-1.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	9165  Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5450-1.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	9166  
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Level 10 user

Makes sense to me, and the posture suggests nicely the internal universe, cyclical and complete. Maybe cyclical is not the right word, but perhaps you get the gist anyway. They don't look pleased about their condition though... It does not appear to be a vibrant universe. if you were gonna go to the trouble of making your own self-perpetuating world, wouldn't you make it one that you'd like to live in?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Makes sense to me, and the posture suggests nicely the internal universe, cyclical and complete. Maybe cyclical is not the right word, but perhaps you get the gist anyway. They don't look pleased about their condition though... It does not appear to be a vibrant universe. if you were gonna go to the trouble of making your own self-perpetuating world, wouldn't you make it one that you'd like to live in?

Maybe its post-coital melancholy. Or. second thoughts? Is happiness forever escaping man?

RD
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
if you were gonna go to the trouble of making your own self-perpetuating world, wouldn't you make it one that you'd like to live in?
Maybe its about reporting, experiencing, awareness and not merely creating an romantic fantasy to brainwash yourself with.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Level 10 user

The assumption is that the hypothetical person realizes they have some control over their life, and asserts themself so as to lay claim in their own life. Or you can just brainwash yourself the Zen way, and never assert yourself at all. But I don't think Zen practice condones doing nothing either, only accepting that which is not too repellant.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
The assumption is that the hypothetical person realizes they have some control over their life, and asserts themself so as to lay claim in their own life. Or you can just brainwash yourself the Zen way, and never assert yourself at all. But I don't think Zen practice condones doing nothing either, only accepting that which is not too repellant.
Sorry Evaldart but here we go with references again. Rene Barrjavel, French writer of science fiction, humanist, and gay, once wrote a time travel novel where the principle character pre-time travel finds himself looking forward to something really extraordinary that he just knows is going to happen. He gets home from work and himself as "time traveler" ps waiting. And, they make love the whole night. Goes to prove that one is best served by ones self.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(T )

Last edited by rderr.com : 08-28-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Or you can just brainwash yourself the Zen way, and never assert yourself at all.
I'm confused by your use of "brainwash". Do you mean cleanse of unproductive, counterproductive bad programming, learned behavior, and restore proper mental hygiene, or do you mean adopt some sort of constrictive mental regimen? I'm also confused about your lumping this with the "Zen way", but then Zen meditation always sounded too brutal a path for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rderr.com View Post
Sorry Evaldart but here we go with references again. Rene Barrjavel, French writer of science fiction, humanist, and gay, once wrote a time travel novel where the principle character pre-time travel finds himself looking forward to something really extraordinary that he just knows is going to happen. He gets home from work and himself as "time traveler" is waiting. And, they make love the whole night. Goes to prove that one is best served by ones self.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(T )
The perfect morality tale for the age of narcisissm!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rderr.com View Post
This is an idea I've treated in photo and now in bronze (If I can find a patron) and has to do with, for some strange reason I've yet to understand myself, creation, creativity, art and the sacred nature of the act of creation. They themselves have created themselves and are a creation of themselves and are pregnant with themselves. Does this make any sense?

Robert Derr
I think it's an interesting concept, and original. I would love to see the final product. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Level 10 user

Goes to prove, Derr, that writers are the weakest members of the creative community - a gazoo-player would demonstrate far greater originality and creative force.