Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Level 10 user

Re: David

Why can't he stand on two pedestals or a disjointed pile of rubble, unified at the base?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah, G, thats a possibility...but I gotta beware that the "base" or pedistal(s) dont outperform the figure. If I start having too much fun just getting him up high I'll just go ahead and let be an anstract - hell with David.

heres another version:

the guy at the bottom is just for scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giantkiller.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	9877  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Level 10 user

No No No No No!!!!!

Whadderya, tuckered out from wrestling with scrap?

Version #2 looks like he's about to toss bread crumbs to the pigeons!
Your seven deadly sins pieces have more vigor, and this one should top them all.

Of what use is height if you sacrifice content? Action, baby, action! Emphatic gesture! So what if it requires a spread stance? Grommet is right about the pedestal. Foggetaboudda boring cylinder. You can make a scrap conglomeration that suggests rough ground without needing to make David more abstract.

That's it. No more whoppers 'til you come up with a dazzler!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Level 10 user

yer right, back to the drawing board.

its funny, my nine years old said as much...and he's usually right.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Level 10 user

I wonder if Michelangelo had this discussion with himself? Hmm, baseball pitcher? Scratch that. Hockey goalie? Nuh unh.. When I think about what must have been going on in his head, all I see are the burning, steely, self determined eyes and revolted facial expression. The rest is just obligatory.. I.E. The pose don't matter.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Level 10 user

Think about Mike's David, we learned in school that one of the reasons it was so cool and smart was because it was distorted to be seen from below. When you go back to the drawing board, sketch as if you are looking up. That will make all the difference. Just make the feet really heavy, have them grip the ground.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Level 10 user

I can get this one up to about 12 feet...unless I go double-life,...havent done that before; then I can get it to 15 or 16 ft. Its gonna be a bitch to move; but what else is new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	giantkiller3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	9878  
Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Level 10 user

make the throwing arm twice as long.
instead of a bender you would have a thrower.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Level 10 user

Much better e, now he looks like he is doing something. The next trick is that fierceness of gaze as StevenW mentioned. He has to look like "There ain't no Goliath gonna be left standin' when I'm done launching this rock!"

Here is an alternate idea for a base...don't know if it would look right, but it would make the piece lighter. You could have him standing on an I beam or two parallel beams, supported like a bridge between two smaller bases.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Level 10 user

facial expression is a smaller issue...I'll go for something, but the junk doesn't do a good furrowed-brow. Got to beware of the cartoon factor...wouldnt want to end up with a two-ton toy.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

smaller body gestures replace furrowed brow. Show intent and the desire to surpass previous routine feats of strength by strain in the other wrist and curve of neck, etc. This one is gonna pull muscles, it's not just the wind-up for an ordinary thrashing. He's up for it, but it's not without effort.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Level 7 user

I wonder , Eval, have you tried to throw a stone with a sling? It could help you a lot with the right position of the body, the balance of the weight and things like that. When I was a kidd, we played with these thinds ( still can't believe nobody got hurt)- and the bigger boys had slings about 5' long-longer sling makes for more reach- and used to throw stones almost the size of a brick to an incredible distance.While you gather speed, making the sling turn over your head , all your weight is on the right leg (if you are right-nahded), just like if you are throwing a spear-and when you release the sling -and the stone flyes away(hopefully, to Goliath's head) the body position is very much the same as with a spear .

....here, this fella could be throing a stone for all I know - only the feet could be a bit closer, and the knees not so bent:

Last edited by I.Chonov : 01-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Level 10 user

So, that was you who broke the garage window. And all this time I thought it was my baseball!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Level 10 user

I knocked out this 40 inch study yesterday as the drawing was getting boring. I chose another moment...the "action" of celebration. Do you suppose it would have been considered poor-sportsmanship for David to have been jumping up and down after severing the head...?

Anyhow, this prep work is all warming me up real good...soon enough the drawings and studies will give-way to the necessary rush of the attack. These major pieces can be daunting...planning, plotting and scheming charges us up - makes us feel "ready", gets us excited about the whole thing.

How closely I end up referring to the bible story is not the issue - the story provides fodder. In the end I will title the piece "David" but if it were called "Sculpture # 1,224" well, that would be okay too.

Oh, I gave him an intergalactic-atom-obliderator instead of a sword...for fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	giantkstudy.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	9880  
Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Level 10 user

Now you're talkin.. Let loose, release the hounds!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
ISC Member

Eval,

I believe it was Judith that had the great joy (rapture??) when she cut off Holafernes (sp) head not David with Goliath.

Carl
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonofelephant View Post
Eval,

I believe it was Judith that had the great joy (rapture??) when she cut off Holafernes (sp) head not David with Goliath.

Carl

Yer right, her head-chopping would have had more to do with celebration than David's...but D did consider that big head quite a trophy, even posed for a few sculptures with it at his feet (suppressing joy in favor of the newly acquired pride).
Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Level 10 user

Distracted as I was with the coolness of the overall conglomeration, it took me a moment for my crit-eek mind to zero in, and....

There needs to be more action in the upraised arm, or the posture, or something. Presently, he looks like he is riding the subway, holding on to the overhead bar.
(As observed from memories of Chicago, a real and useful subway system, not that ridiculous boondoggle waste of money known as the lightrail system in Minneapolis which I have never used because it is utterly impractical for residents.)

I realize it is a sketch, quite a good one, and the arrangement of components are superb. Just giving you another push.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Level 8 user

Here's another David I just found -- by the Swedish sculptor, Ivar Johnnson (1885 - 1970).

Pretty energetic -- wouldn't you say ?

(it's just too bad that male nude statues in public places make for such an inviting target)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ivar101.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10018  Click image for larger version

Name:	ivar102.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	10019  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountshang View Post
Pretty energetic -- wouldn't you say ?
Aside from the raised leg, from the knee up it looks like the stance of a high diver standing as still as possible prior to initiating the dive.
The raised leg looks stiff and unnatural, not integrated with the rest of the body.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

right Glenn. It does posess an archaic or pre-classical stiffness. But I could fix all that easy enough...even in junk. What I like about this pose is that it presents an opportunity to lay-down alot of mass, alot of material, and with a base and a life-and-a-half David I couls still get 10 or twelve feet of vert out of it. And that wonderful severed head would be right THERE, huge in all its decapitated glory...great treacheal/jugullar opportunities. This might be worth a couple thumbnail sketches. I've got till May...which means this thing will happen in April...installed warm, and stinking of wet Penetrol.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM
ISC Member

Got to agree with Glenn & Evald. Definitely Archiac Greek.

Have two other that might interest you:

from christies: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5126760

this one is interesting since it destroys the anatomy:
http://www.israeli-painting.com/popu...e39b4b36038a78

Not sure if I like the second one. Novelty yes. Execution - looks like two Gumbys. They are also a little crowded on that small base. If David was that close, as in the 2nd sculpture, the Bible would have been rewritten as a Phillistine Religious Book.

Carl
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Level 10 user

I like some things about the first one, but the gesture is contrived. If the second one were named "Farplegraff and Sneguppicks" it would be more convincing than as " David and Goliath".
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Level 10 user

I cannot respect the first one because it is 27 inches high...a trinket. It is thusly dismissed.
And my cantakerous machine here cant seem to acces the other image. I'll try later.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
I cannot respect the first one because it is 27 inches high...a trinket. It is thusly dismissed.
Perpective, my man! It is a colossal work when compared to that guy who sculpts those needle-eye-sized works under a microscope.
(what are those...trillioninkets?)