Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Level 10 user

My first public monument!!

Hey guys, it seems like I've been so busy with the commercial work and making a name for myself in that world, that the idea of finding any success as a fine artist had gone out the window. But earlier this year, I was contacted for a small bronze portrait of a couple getting married, which I completed in March. A couple months back, I was contacted about a large scale bronze figure. Like all the other times I've received "that call", I didn't expect anything to come from it. But the e-mails kept going back and forth and soon there was a face to face meeting scheduled. Now, after a couple city council meetings and preliminary sketches, I'm getting ready to start the maquette for my very first monumental sculpture.

It's going to be a 9' tall sculpt of Lucky Baldwin (quite the character in early California history). I've actually been commissioned by his great, great, great grand daughter. It's been a fun process doing the research on this colorful character, and now that the design has been approved and I'm getting ready to start the 27" tall maquette, I'm finally feeling like "this is actually happening".

It's funny how when you stop going after something, it comes and finds you. I hope that I make myself proud on this sculpt. I want it to be something that my 4 month old daughter can visit when she gets older and be proud that her daddy made something that cool. I want the city of Arcadia to be proud to have it. I want my little mark on art history to be a good one. And who knows, maybe once this one is done, the word will get out and I'll start getting more calls for commissions.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of the piece, and try to post pictures as I go.

Cheers for now!!

Alfred
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Level 10 user

Re: My first public monument!!

Congrats and right on, bro! I like your attitude about this commission!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Level 10 user

Yes congrats! It is always the case that ones continued hard work and self-determined progress yields great rewards...and sometimes there is money too.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM
ISC Member

Alfred, that is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Level 10 user

Congratulations on the commission Alfred and I hope it goes smoothly for you.
My first life-size bronze was enlarged in CA and I'd be happy to pass the name on to you if you don't have that already covered. We took my 25"h clay model up to 8'h in foam and took the molds from that. Quality work. Again, congrats!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Great news, Alfred! Congratulations!
Will you be able to share updates as you work, and any idea where it will be installed?
I'll be sure to stop for a look at the finished piece next time I'm out that way.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. I'm really excited about the whole thing. It comes at a time when things in my life are really crazy. A new baby, my commercial sculpting career is going really well, and I've got a show to get ready for in April (Monsterpalooza). I'm going to have to juggle a lot of responsibilities, but hey, that's what you got to do if you want to succeed.

Mack: I've already contacted the two big places out here that do enlargements. Daniels and Cyber FX. Both gave me a similar price, so it'll all come down to who I feel comfortable with. I wish the cost was a little less. But after running the numbers on this. It would actually cost me more (in my own time), if I built the large scale armature and foamed out the body myself. With the scan and output, I have a 95% complete sculpt, I just need to paint some clay on and add on the details. I'm going to focus on sculpting a really nice maquette so there is less to do in the large scale piece.

Obseq: The piece is going right out in front of the Santa Anita Race Track, in the median of Huntington Drive. It's a great location for a large scale piece. Although there has been talk about finding a more pedestrian friendly location. If they choose a more pedestrian location, then I think the piece will need to be a bit smaller and closer to the ground. We'll see what happens at the next city council meeting, when I present the completed maquette.

I'm going to do my best to document the progress as I go, but I'm terrible at that. I hate stopping to take pictures because it interrupts my flow and it takes me out of the zone. Still, this being my first public monument, it would be nice to have a record of the progress. I'll do my best to post as I go and share my work with you guys.

Thanks again to all of you. Have a Happy Holiday Season and a Great New Year.

Cheers!!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Level 10 user

Congrats! Can't wait to see those photos of the process.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Level 3 user

Congratulations. Hope everything works out as well as you could wish.