Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Level 1 user

Question Rotocasting in the UK?

Hey Im a university student and am trying to make little plastic toys, just a plain shape. I've looked about and it seems that its rotocasting thats needed. Does anyone know if there are companies in the UK that i can send my designs to and they can make them? and does anyone know the cost?

Thx
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
ISC Member

Re: Rotocasting in the UK?

If it is a little toy, they you can just rotocast by hand...

If you give us more info then we can provide more info back.

But, to give you an idea, I just (Yesterday) did three castings of bonded bronzes where I manually rotocasted (OK, similar) the bronze layer (Used about 4 different pourings of bronze to get the coverage I needed) and then backed that up with a stronger layer using the same method and finally filled the inside cavity with a hard foam to provide a lot of strength. I used polyurethanes for the plastics and for the binder for the bronze.

Again, if you give us an idea (size, shape, wall thickness, strength requirements, etc) of what you are building then we can give you better advice.

Ari.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Level 1 user

Hey thanks for the reply. I want to make something like these:

The shape will be different but about the same size (up to 3") and about 2-3mm thick. Hollow inside so it doesnt weigh too much. Is it easy to do by hand?

thx
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
ISC Member

OK, something that size is fairly easy to make. you can use a polyurethane such as polytek 1512x (Or any other brand with similar qualities) and add a little to a silicone mold and you will be done (moving the mold for about 5 minutes to cover evenly).

It all depends on how many you will make. If you are making a hundred, then the manual method will work. You can even add accelerators to the plastic and get them to cure rapidly. You can use rigid foams that weigh almost nothing but are very strong (5 lbs / cubic foot).

For that size you can even build yourself a little rotocaster with a few bearings and a couple of little motors. Should be simple, as there is almost no weight.

If you are going to make a lot at a time then you want to make a nice mold that will let you cast many at once and save time. Designing a good mold will cut your production time a great deal.

So, the next question is how many you are planning to make. A lot depends on that answer, as to how you would proceed. The other question is what is the intended use for the castings.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Level 1 user

wow sounds quick and easy(ish)

I'll be using 5 different molds and making 2-4 castings of each to practice my painting on them. Im at art school and these are for my degree show.

So for this, manually will be better?

Thx
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 PM
ISC Member

For 20 total you should just do everything by hand. Once you have the molds you can probably make the 20 in a couple of hours or less.

What are the originals like? what material are they made off? Do you need any help figuring out the mold making?

What is your budget like for these? How much time do you have?

For small parts I will, many times, make a mold that has 2 to 10 sculptures or sculpture components in one mold.

Ari.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Level 1 user

Did you get my PM?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM
ISC Member

Now I did... :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Level 6 user

This response may be a little late. I'm a new member, but I would recommend EasyFlo 120 from Polytek. This plastic is meant for roto-casting specifically and has a 2 - 2 1/2 minute working time with a 10 - 15 minute demold. Hand roto-casting for 2 1/2 minutes isn't too bad.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 AM
ISC Member

I would like to add a little bit of info to what Mold Man Mike Said. EasyFlo 120 is meant for rotocasting, but if you are going to add materials to the mix, then you may have to go down to EasyFlow 60 to keep the viscosity low and have good flow. They both have the same cure time.

The 1512x from Polytek is a stronger.

Ari.