Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Level 9 user

Foundaries Mexico?

Do we have a list of Mexican foundries? I am looking for a foundry in Mexico, just to see if I can get my work done for a bit less than I am getting here. I'm wondering if I can get a bit of a better deal there, as far as costs. China is totally out of the question. Has anyone had their work cast in Mexico? What are the pros and cons? Any info would be welcomed. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Foundaries Mexico?

Katy,

There are hundreds of foundries here in Mexico, many of which are art foundries. I just sent an e-mail to a man who I know from the metal casting forum who lives in Sonora. He deals with some foundries up there. When I get an answer I will tell you.

Down where I am there are none. I cast my own stuff. In Mexico City there are many.

There is also a foundry in Guadalajara: http://www.art21studio.com/

They speak English and can tell you a lot if they like your attitude.

Richard
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Level 10 user

Katy,

I received a reply from the man in Sonora. I sent it to you as a private message. I don't have his permission to publish his e-mail address to the world, only to you.

I looked at your blog pages. I will read them today. There is some good stuff there regarding mold making.

Richard

Last edited by raspero : 05-17-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Level 9 user

Thanks, Raspero,

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about foundries in Mexico.

The reason I asked is to see if art foundries in Mexico can produce bronzes for a bit less than I am seeing out here, which is averaging about 20$ per pound (with investment). I do know the cost of Bronze ingots fluctuates, so that is also included in the cost.

Obviously if I must pay Gringo prices, I might as well stay here in the states and do the castings.

Can I get an idea of how much money Mexican foundries charge? Do you happen to know?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

I do not. I would bet my car that they charge significantly less than in the US. We don't have the rules and regulations you all do, so it's much less expensive to do business here. Also labor is significantly cheaper here.

Write an e-mail to Mel, and to those guys in Guadalajara.

Richard
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Level 9 user

Thanks-- I will. I just wanted to get an idea before doing so. I'm suspicious that way. -- Katy
Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Level 2 user

Hi Katy,
Before moving here in Florida I used to live in New Mexico and I did some bronzes with this foundry in Juarez. It was run most of the time by one man who owned the foundry in his back yard. He did some large peaces for some people in New Mexico. I cannot remember well but I believe there was some procedure I had to go trough taking plaster originals into Mexico and bringing bronze back in US. Around Santa Fe in New Mexico there are several foundries. I believe in 1986 I casted there 7í statue of a local official for about $20,000. There are several more foundries around Ruidoso (near Roswell) in New Mexico. Up the road in Loveland in Colorado there are few foundries as well. I have used most of them at one time or another and they are not inexpensive. I do not know where you are located and if this is going to be of any help to you. What I know is that if you can make your own molds, cast your own wax, take the waxes to a foundry, have them cast them in bronze, either them or you weld them together and do your own chasing and patina you could save considerable amount of the cost. If you do one of kind work and you are not interested in editions you could do the modeling in wax and then take it to a foundry. You could save the cost of making the mold and casting the wax. Since I moved here in Florida I lost contact with the foundry in Juarez but if you are interested Iíll se if I can track him down for you. He does communicate in Spanish only. Here in Florida there are few local foundries in Deland and I have heard of another gentleman near here who has a setup and does bronze casting in his back yard. Perhaps you can get best deal from a person like him but you have to be very careful when you deal with single individual.
Another thing to consider is if you have to have the real bronze casting or if it is going to be inside the appearance of bronze is going to be satisfactory. http://www.sculptnouveau.com/ has some patinas (take a look at some of their videos there is a link on the website above) that you could apply on wood, metal, foam, hydrostone and other materials that unless you knock on the sculpture you would not be able to tell that is not bronze.
Good luck
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Level 9 user

cdjordjievski, thanks,

I don't really need southwest area foundaries. I did a 65 thousand dollar bronze at Shidonii, and know the area pretty well. I needed Mexican foundry information because I wondered if I can get more bang for my buck in Mexico.

Typical costs where I am have been 20$ per bronze pound or often on a scaled system, with the lowest amount being about 13$ and the highest around 20$. Included in that cost is usually the investment and the breaking out later, and often basic welding of the hatch but not additional welding. Some foundaries break down their prices item by item.

The folks in the Midwest are very cagy about giving their price structure away whilst foundaries in Colorado have it down to a system, and just blurt it out. (Colorado runs cheaper than the Midwest).

So, anyway, I wondered what sort of a savings I would get (if any) by sending my stuff to Mexico.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Level 10 user

The cost of all metals has gone through the roof, even scrap brass and copper are very high, I don't think the cost of the metal in Mexico is going to be much if any cheaper, if it was people would sent it here to the USA and get more for it.

I know of some unnamed foundry in Mexico that produces those aluminum garden fountains and things I've seen for sale cheap, a large winged griffin planter for example was around $139.95. it was painted and when stripped it was easy to see how poor a cast it was, full of defects and holes that were filled with bondo, welds were very poor and one of the ears was even welded on backwards. I had the distinct impression the source for the aluminum they used was scrap soda cans and the like, it wouldn't have given me confidence that if they made anything in "bronze" that it would be cast from anything better than scrap salvaged brass plumbing parts passed off to unknowing people as "bronze."

I would use a lot more caution with a foreign country, any foreign country, including the possibility they might take a mold off the model to make their own casts to sell on the side.

I used to use Park's bronze in Oregon years ago and liked them, their casts were perfect and the cost reasonable.
Sending a wax to another country, you know customs is going to open the box, and when they do there's no guarantee they will be carefull, or pack it back the way you had it, you also have to factor in that cost and the return cost for international shipping.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Level 9 user

Yes, Art Deco, I was more thinking of some artist here who could recommend a foundry that was known to do good work. And I am certainly fearful of things like the wax melting. I have yet to do this, but have found a foundry in Mexico, but will be more cautious.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Level 10 user

Used to be a guy here on the forums who lives in Singapore, (John Cheung) he recomended a foundry there who did good work and was not expensive, but then again you have customs inspections there and back, and shipping costs and potential for damages during the customs inspection too.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Level 9 user

Yes, the Chinese people PMed me when I asked about Mexican foundries and tried to sell me on using them. The problem is shipping, and the fact that I would not be able to supervise the work, as well as customs.

I am now close enough to Mexico to be able to go there and oversee the work they do.

I am a bit less skeptical than you, I guess. I know that any Aluminum casting is going to have holes in it. Aluminum is a funny metal. The surface tension might hide bubbles and the minute you sand blast it to clean it, those pin holes are exposed.

I would not use aluminum for an art project.

As far as bronze. American Silicon bronze only. The bronze is the same used, and at the same cost as American Bronze, the place you end up saving is the labor costs.

I had an estimate on the same piece from a Colorado foundry (up near Greely where the foundries are), and the Mexican foundry in Tijuana. The Greely Foundry quoted me $1,200.00 for wax pour, sprues, investment, casting, chasing bronze (braising). The Mexican Foundry quoted me 500.00 for the same work.

I estimated the cost of the actual bronze in both cases to be at 250.00 (based on prices at the time of the estimate).

So the Greely foundry charged me 950 for the same work that the Tijuana foundry charged me 250 for.

Labor costs are pretty much where the bulk of the money goes. Any one who has the knowledge and skill can buy a bar of bronze, melt it, and pour it. It takes a certain set of containers and a blow torch. It is not rocket science.

I do no think the nationality of the person who melts the bronze or pours it has anything to do with the outcome.

I make my own molds, and I want to learn how to invest the piece, because I'd like the only thing done by the foundry to be the actual melting of the metal, and the pouring-- which takes more insurance liability than I am willing to commit to (living in a rental).

I've done the molds, poured the wax, chased the wax, --- then chased the bronze and done the patina...I can't say I am an experienced patina person-- I have only done liver of sulphur patina.

I have not sprued, invested, melted out, poured, broken out, braised the hatches, or sand blasted.

I would love to take a few foundry classes somewhere, or else apprentice somewhere.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Level 10 user

You are correct about melting metal and pouring it. Its not difficult after some practice and with suitable equipment. The difficult part is ensuring your sprueing is correct and done so that it is not going to cause defects in the bronze, also making sure the bronze is the right thickness throughout by incorporating a core and securing it. With a core and a large piece particularly with sticking out bits you will need to do some welding preferably with the same alloy that you are casting with as the difference can show up when the patina is applied especially the ones that react with the surface of the bronze rather than just sit on the surface.

If you are interested in casting your own work I recommend registering with alloyavenue forum. They are a very helpful, friendly bunchand not so serious as the people here, and a few people who frequent this site are also regulars there.

You would also be the only regular female member so would get alot of attention when asking stuff
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Level 9 user

I might just look at this metal foundry site. At one time last year, I actually got a bit cocky about wanting to create a furnace. I have the parts in my storage building. My problem is that I do not have any place to work. Spruing is one of those great mysteries. I thought that you naturally got a core when you exposed the inside of the piece to the investment material (for example cut it in half, or opened a hatch).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Level 10 user

I am one of those people who frequent Alloy Avenue. In fact, I am a moderator there. It's my true home on the internet. Best bunch of people I have found on any forum anywhere. Zero arrogance.

Having a foundry that will produce acceptable sculpture castings is a major commitment. There is a learning curve. If you like that kind of work it is quite satisfying. It's hard work.

Richard
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Level 9 user

I work, I make $7.20 per hour. This is even after a college degree. It nearly makes working not worth the time it takes to get out of bed. I have had no health insurance for 5 years. I am the lowest of the low economically in the US. No benefits, no government aid, nearly homeless. I already lost my home and have been sent out to live in the streets 3 times so far. Presently I am sleeping on my brother's couch. It is nice to know you make so much money. Maybe you can help to get me a job at your shop?

Mexico has a sort of universal health care-- I am sure it is not perfect, but they have a better health care system for those who are poor than the US do. I had to wait for 7 months to get much needed high blood pressure meds in the US. No one gave a rat's ass that at one time I had had health insurance and did not have to beg for medicine. The cost of the medicine was not bad, it was the cost of seeing the doctor-- and they would not give me the medicine unless I saw the doctor.

They also need to make less money to live on-- about 65% of what an American needs, so 500 for them is near to 1000 for us. Rent is 173% higher in the US than in Mexico. I'd do anything to make US pay, and live in Mexico.

Many people in the US tend to think of Mexico as an impoverished backwater, but Mexico City is a City as big as New York, has the same kind of infra structure, has professional people who do their jobs very well.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post

It is nice to know you make so much money.
I don't know where that remark is coming from, I'm hardly rolling in money and I have no idea why you seem to think I am, I'm a working stiff like everyone else.
If this is all you got out of my posts, then I guess I'll just move back to the other threads and bid you goodbye then.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Level 9 user

The republican big wigs also tell people that they are just working stiffs too. Hmmm. I can't seem to find the post I was referring to. I guess it is impossible to delete an entire post, so I must have been doing hard drugs at the time. So sorry.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Level 9 user

By the way. I want this Web site to be successful. I would not post so much stupid stuff here if I did not. Please someone else post other messages and so on. My stuff is not worthy of any comments. Pretty soon, I will not post. My life is worth more.