Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Level 2 user

Advice on Making Statues in Concrete

Hello,

This is my first real post here in this forum. My retirement and my retirement house are both on my mind. Less than 9 years to go, so I'd like to start learning some things now.

I'm sure this will cause some eyes to roll and people to say "Not another one.", but I've been gathering information on how to give a home a bit of a Middle Earth flavor. Nothing over the top, just some subtle things. My idea is to find an old farmhouse like this:

restore what needs restoring, and go from there. I'm fond of the old, stately look.

Which takes me back to the films and Jackson's interpretation of the ruins in Eriador. I like the statues found in places like Weathertop and Amon Hen. They have a kind of dignified antiquity about them which I find appealing for a shaded garden.
(See the thumbnails at the bottom)

I was thinking the easiest thing would be to use a concrete mould of some kind and pour them? Maybe in pieces (?) which I could then join together for ease of construction. (?)

I'm just guessing,however, and I have no idea how to do this, actually. So, the questions I have are:
1) would that be the easiest and least expensive way to do this?

2) where would I start in terms of materials and tutorials?

Thanks in advance for any information. If my few preliminary searches have completely missed a thread or two that answers all of my questions already, then I apologize in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Statue 1.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	7128  Click image for larger version

Name:	Statue 2.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	7129  Click image for larger version

Name:	Statue 3.JPG
Views:	650
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	7130  

http://thepanday.blogspot.com
Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Advice on Making Statues in Concrete

Well, the EASIEST thing to do woud be go buy some statues at one of those places that sells them sprinkled around metropolitan Detroit.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Well, the EASIEST thing to do woud be go buy some statues at one of those places that sells them sprinkled around metropolitan Detroit.
True. But I don't learn anything that way.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Sculptor

Panday, First of all, welcome! I like your ideas about changing a house into the sort of thing you want. Adapting an existing space to make it more comfortable for me personally is about the first thing I have done in each place I have lived. The sort of thing most people do, probably as soon as they can.

Iím afraid my first suggestion would have been similar to what Grommet has just said, but if you want to make your own pieces, probably the first thing to do is see if you can purchase a mold for a fairly small, inexpensive piece of the sort you want. Learn to make a concrete cast from an existing mold, and next learn to make your own figure and a mold for it.

If you want to start in a more ambitious way, by making a figure, by all means say that and we will provide suggestions in that direction.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Level 10 user

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7822
http://www.moldcompanies.com/concrete/index.htm

a local character for you and a googled concrete mold company. Google is great, try punching in some key words for some of the forms you want plus concrete mold. See how far that will get you.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Level 10 user

Ive never seen a farm house that looked like that made of stone, it looks more like one you'd find in the UK or Scotland, here in the states I've only seen wood with clapboard and usually neglected for years and years.
Mine hadn't seen a coat of paint outside in so many years the clapboard was mostly weathered grey, the roof was at least 30 years old, the porch had no railings and the guy who cut down a large dead tree cut it up into sections and just left it.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
Panday, First of all, welcome! I like your ideas about changing a house into the sort of thing you want. Adapting an existing space to make it more comfortable for me personally is about the first thing I have done in each place I have lived. The sort of thing most people do, probably as soon as they can.

Iím afraid my first suggestion would have been similar to what Grommet has just said, but if you want to make your own pieces, probably the first thing to do is see if you can purchase a mold for a fairly small, inexpensive piece of the sort you want. Learn to make a concrete cast from an existing mold, and next learn to make your own figure and a mold for it.

If you want to start in a more ambitious way, by making a figure, by all means say that and we will provide suggestions in that direction.
Thank you, fritchie. I would like to start in a more ambitious way. I'm just unsure how to start.

I started making knives in an ambitious manner, with no tutors other than what I read online. I wasn't really into the internet back then, but I've learned a lot since browsing sites about knifemaking. I think if I had asked more questions, instead of trying to figure out things via trial and error, I'd be farther along than I am now.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7822
http://www.moldcompanies.com/concrete/index.htm

a local character for you and a googled concrete mold company. Google is great, try punching in some key words for some of the forms you want plus concrete mold. See how far that will get you.
grommetm

Bookmarked! Thank you.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseer View Post
Ive never seen a farm house that looked like that made of stone, it looks more like one you'd find in the UK or Scotland, here in the states I've only seen wood with clapboard and usually neglected for years and years.
Mine hadn't seen a coat of paint outside in so many years the clapboard was mostly weathered grey, the roof was at least 30 years old, the porch had no railings and the guy who cut down a large dead tree cut it up into sections and just left it.
Landseer,

I've been thinking of inland Maine as a retirement spot. I don't mind cold weather, and I love small towns. They also have nice, old, stone farmhouses there.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Sculptor

Re your post 7. I searched our own forum for "concrete" and got many, many references. Here's http://mynetimages.com/album/smartink/ one fairly similar to what you seem to want.

Try these searches yourself. The button is near top right of most or all pages. I believe some of these figures are concrete and some are clay.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Level 2 user

Fritchie,

Thank you. The "making of" section of that was particularly helpful.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Level 2 user

To Deborah Boller:

Thank you very much for the private message with the information on Cindy DeBold and Lynn Olsen. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I hadn't realized I had a private message waiting. In other forums I've visited, a pop-up message told me when I had one waiting, so I didn't notice until now.

Thank you very much for your help! And I'm flattered you like the knives I make. I often regret the time lost by not using my hands to do things like making knives, carving, and sculpting until I was in my 30s.

How does the saying go: the best time to plant an oak tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

I hope you see this message. For some reason I keep getting:
Forbidden:
You don't have permission to access /community/private.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

when I try to reply to your PM.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Level 2 user

If youre not making multiples you could handbuild the statues with portland and lime over a wet newspaper armature Its fast work and you can get a large piece going without too much trouble. Of course the Maine winters would call for lots of waterseal or plastic trash bag covers.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Level 2 user

Molly,

Thank you. That gives me some ideas, as they intersect with a couple of books I just bought on sculpting.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Level 2 user

Now THATS what i call a motivating compliment FRITCHIE thank you, after a couple of months "away" while building my veranda so's i can sculpt in the winter, (northern france is also a bit prickly at this time of year) now it's finished i'm back to see that FRITCHIE actually recommended the photos of my stuff to PANDAY and i am also extremly contented to see that my "making of" section was useful to you, maybe i shall post a few photos of the veranda as that too was not unlike sculpting in many ways.
I'm glad to see this forum works like this and I'm happy to be a part of it.
AND A VERY HAPPY XMAS AND NEW YEAR TO ALL..............smartink
Old 12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Level 10 user

Maine is a beautiful state and still largely untouched. I spent my summers in Greyrock as a kid in one of the Rockefeller's "cottages".
My mom is buried there on the coast next to my grandad and her side of the family lived from PEI down along the coast for 16 generations. I envy your choice of a retirement location and know you won't be disappointed. Most of the natives go south to retire, but I guess most people wouldn't understand that until they had spent enough winters in that part of the country. It's bitter cold and harsh in comparison to most places.

Anyway, if I were going to buy an old stone farmhouse or any old house inland to retire in I would not want to overlook the possibility of using local materials to create my garden, playground, sculptural landscape and so forth.
The entire state is an uplifted slab of crustal granite, some of the nicest granite on the planet. (My Dr. Sues is showing)

Something to consider is perhaps scouting out your town and your house and taking a survey of the indigenous materials and using those to manifest your vision. To me a concrete figure mold or whatever would end up looking like a plastic Christmas tree in the middle of the Yukon valley, while a pile of native stone, simply arranged with some aesthetic attention to detail could produce something warm and beautiful. If stone, granite and so forth seems too laborious then the state also happens to be full of beautiful wood. So often the things we are looking for can be found right beneath our feet.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Level 8 user

Thanks all for the info about mold making. I learn from everybody elses' questions every day here. I want to coment on. I am from Maine. Many generations my family goes back. I believe it would be perfect to retire there. One consideration would be that the extreem changes in climate through the year may require some additives to prevent cracking in the concrete (if thgats your choice to use). The Summers are hot and the winters so cold that we get things like frost heaves in the roads in a big way and I have not seen anything like it elsewhere. I now live in Washington, funny. I left Maine as a young person needing to be in an urban envirnment. Maine is just about all small towns. there are great people there. Please post the results of your casting...