Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Level 10 user

Erotic Sculpture

I don't know ..maybe it's Spring or something but I can feel the hormones coursing through my veins. So I am taking a break from the angst ridden muscled work I normally do and moving towards something more erotic. As I do before starting anything new I pump up with Bernini........This work of Pluto and Proserpina I find highly sensual to the point of erotic...and here is a detail of a tummy I'm working on..
So I'm wondering if any of you have photos of erotic sculpture you would like to share...

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bernini detail jpeg 67.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	10811  Click image for larger version

Name:	work in progress.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	10812  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Sculptor

Re: Erotic Sculpture

This girl's pretty athletic also; thanks for sharing the new work.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Level 1 user

Hi Giotto

I was just wondering if you're open to comments about the work you've posted, I don't want to force my opinions on you if you weren't expecting to hear feedback, just thought it might be useful to get a fresh viewpoint while it's still a WIP.

Kind regards

Jonathan
Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Level 10 user

Thank you Jonathan, I am a big believer in the "critique" process and I would love comments from my contemporaries.

The steps I normally go through is first to sculpt the figure taking critiques from friends close by as the work progresses, when I think I am far enough along I invite a formal critique. Then the work get set aside for a year or more. I revisit it with fresh eyes and make adjustments as I go. Sometimes I will start over with a second iteration. When I am satisfied which is about 50% of the time I will then take it through the mold making process.

I have spent a week working on this. The piece is called "The Terrorist" This is my second attempt at the theme i.e. sexual agendas, women who offer sex but really have something else in mind...the head scarf is a Arabic "shemagh". The bracelet on her arm is a scorpion. I don't know how the photo will read but she has a knife hidden behind her back. You will notice I lengthened the femurs..that's stylistic thing I like. The musculature was difficult I an going for sensual erotism and physical strength.

G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WIP 4:26:09 2.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	10842  Click image for larger version

Name:	WIP 4:26:09 3.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	10843  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Level 10 user

While we are on the topic of erotic sculpture here is something I ran across on the National Sculpture Society website. It's called "courtship" (snails) by Victoria Parsons. I think it's magnificent and breathtaking in it's creativity.

G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snails.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	10844  
Old 04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Level 1 user

Hi Giotto

I'm not sure what I think of your theme, my comments are directed at the sculpture in your original post. I think there may be some issues with your centre lines, your figure has the appearance of being two distinct figures joined at the base of the ribcage (try holding a thin edged ruler across the image and hopefully youíll see what Iím talking about), the top half facing the camera, the bottom half turning sideways. I know the figure is rotating but the rate of rotation is too severe over such a short distance. Also, if youíre planning to put a head and hands on this piece, I think itís better to get something there now, even if just a rough shape to inform the whole composition and help place anatomical forms, the sternocleidomastoid muscle for example looks to be inserting round the back of her neck.

I have a few comments on your forms, there is a harshness to them (especially when placed alongside the Bernini), there are some very hard plane changes (at the great trochanter and the vastus lateralis) but they also lack a little integrity, Iíll try to explain myself. They appear to be full of lumps and hollows, which interfere with my reading of the form, I made some comments in a thread about Robert Graham the other week regarding working form, you may find them useful. Also you are sometimes losing sight of the major forms for the sake of details, for example, the lower leg on the second image is bending.

Lastly, be mindful of your transitions as this is where you can either make a figure supple and full of life or completely kill it, transitional areas vary along their entire length, as they move toward and away from the belly of a form, in your sculpture they seem a little too uniform and in places lack some subtlety, the veins on the arm and the belly seem to sit on the surface rather than pushing up under the skin. I think there is a fine balance between an intuitive feel for these things and the rationalization of what you are looking at, I think the key lies in being absolutely honest with yourself and if possible not allowing yourself to compromise, the moment you accept something you know isnít right youíve effectively stopped learning and youíll do it all the more quickly next time a problem arises.

I hope this is useful and not too critical, you may completely disagree with what Iíve said.

Regards

Jonathan
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathandavies View Post
I hope this is useful and not too critical, you may completely disagree with what Iíve said.
Jonathan
Agreeing or disagreeing is not important. I will carefully consider all of your points. Thank you, if you need the favor returned feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
G
Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Level 10 user

I have just started sculpting in bronze (infact just started sculpting). I have only done 3 small figures. I have attached images of two of them (I am still experimenting with the patination on the third).

I know they are not anatomically acurate, and are a bit barbie doll like but I didnt use a model or photos just from the mind.
Advice appreciated particularly tips and tricks on sculpting figures from waterclay, getting realism into the face, creating a good traditional patination. When using ferric nitrate it seems to mask the underlying liver of sulphur that I have rubbed back into the crevices, i.e. how do you get the black to show through?

This one is about 13cm high.
Woman Sitting (1)
Woman Sitting (2)
Woman Sitting (3)

This one is 21cm long
Woman Lying (1)
Woman Lying (2)
Woman Lying (3)

Last edited by mantrid : 05-13-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Level 10 user

Those figures are great. The patina looks good in the photographs. You don't need to get more realistic unless you really want to.

The problem with doing realistic work is that you have to get it exactly right. Almost right isn't good enough; it will always look "almost right", like you didn't quite get it right; whereas, in work that is obviously not meant to be realistic, you can get away with almost anything.

To form a realistic head and face I begin with clay, over an armature, that has the rough shape and the correct proportions of a human head. Then I mark out the locations of the brow, the eyes, the ears, the mouth. Those must be in the right place. There are anatomical charts for artists all over the internet that show you these proportions. Once those points are established I can move clay around at will, as long as I never lose track of these principal points. Sooner or later something takes form that I like. When I am working on a woman's form, everywhere I go I am looking at women, making sketches of things about them I want to remember, lip shapes, eyes, noses. It takes me time.

R
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Level 4 user

I can see you're having fun!
You might like Eduoard Lanteri 'Modelling and sculpting the human figure'
Dover publications.
I'd say he's the man for learning the how it's done stuff, what you do with it after that is your business!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the tips. Another thing I'm finding is that Im spending alot of time finishing the bronze getting the skin smooth and pit free. My bronzes never seem to come out defect free. Is this normal or should I be looking at possible problems with my method (ceramic shell). One particular problem I get occuring everytime with the sitting woman is that the bronze never smoothly fills the area at the base of the spine and butt. Sometimes there is a large hole and the bronze seems to have formed a crystalized surface here. I dont think its a coincidence that the bronze is poured in at this point (the figure being upside down).

It sometimes occurs on the back too, leaving little pinnacles of bronze that appear to be extending up a mm or so to what should be the real surface, as the pinnacles have flat tops that follow the contours of what would have been the surface of the wax. Any clue as to whats going on?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Level 10 user

Sounds like it's not sprued correctly. Foundry guys?...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspero View Post

The problem with doing realistic work is that you have to get it exactly right. Almost right isn't good enough; it will always look "almost right", like you didn't quite get it right; whereas, in work that is obviously not meant to be realistic, you can get away with almost anything.

R
I couldn't disagree more with the above sentiment.

For this viewer, all sculpture has to be "exactly right" - and that rightness does not necessarily involve issues of realism or perfection of surface
(since the goodness of a good sculpture can survive a helluva lot of destruction - for which many beautiful ruins may serve as evidence)

Of Mantrid's work, "Woman Sitting (1)" - shows that he is going to be making a lot of good sculpture, "Woman Sitting(3)" shows that he needs to spend more time with some of the views, while "Woman Lying (1)(2)(3) needs attention for the relationship between the figure and the plane beneath it.

Regarding the pieces that Giotto was showing, I think that Jonathan Davies comments hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Level 10 user

Mountshang,

I agree with Raspero.

You have to read the rest of his post. What I think he is saying is that there should be no amateurish mistakes. Starting with a series of data points and sculpting then from real life and visual memory is classical sculpture technique, IMHO>

G
Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Level 10 user

Yes, what I am saying is that if a sculpture is intended to be realistic, it damn well better be realistic, or it will look like it has amateur mistakes, whereas a piece that is, shall we say, expressionistic doesn't have to be accurately realistic, although as mountshang said quite well, it too does have to be "exactly right" ir it will not work either.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Level 10 user

Among writers of fiction we have a saying: If you are not going to write realistically, then you must convince, (persuade, charm, seduce), the reader into a willing suspension of his disbelief. Tolkein, to name one, was a master of this; you know that hobbits are complete bunk, but you care about them as much as if they were real.

Regarding your casting problems: I recommend a metal casting forum that I use extensively: http://backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/

There are some experts there very willing to help. I think there is a delay between registration and your being able to post. If so, and you are in a hurry, post some photos of your problem areas here on this site, or send them to me in a private message, along with photos or drawings of your sprueing and gating, and I will post the question there for you.

R
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the link Raspero. I'll take a look
Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Sculptor

Mantrid - I saw lots of casting problems overall, but as I've never used ceramic shell, I'll have to guess at the problems. I have seen other sculptors work through the problems of finishing casts made this way.

First, there are hollows and pits in many places that I think are the result of air bubbles trapped in odd places. One example is the lack of toe endings in one of your views of piece 1. In other places, you have the small pinnacles you describe. I'm guessing these are the result of small empty pockets in the shell, though what might cause them I can't say.

On the realism issue, your work strikes me as sort of Art Deco, a sort of idealization of the actual figure, and that's probably a result of drawing these figures from imagination. It has resulted in some unusual features, such as a quite tiny hand below the reclining figure, and a quite tiny waist on both figures.