Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
ISC Professional Member

Fresh From the Foundry *Warning Male Nude*

Thought I would put a warning for our more conservative viewers.
My apologies to anyone offended.
Does anyone recognize the pose?
All comments are welcome.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Rebel Captive 52.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1708  Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Rebel Captive 31.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1709  Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Rebel Captive 38.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1710  
Old 05-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Re: Fresh From the Foundry *Warning Male Nude*

Without access to my books to check, my guess is it's inspired by Michelangelo's Bound Slave? The finish is a little "slick" for my tastes, but that's just personal preference. Well done.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:48 PM
ISC Professional Member

You Guys are quick and absolutely correct 5 points to each of you.
I borrowed the pose from my favourite sculptor Mike
It is indeed the Bound or Rebellious Slave carved for the funerary monument to Pope Julius II at San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome, between 1510-1513.
The surface has a good deal of tool work that just doesn't come out in the photo, I think I will have to go with a lighter patina.
Blake
Old 05-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Level 10 user

Blake,
I like your fondness for Michelangelo's poses. You put a contemporary spin on them that is very much your own. I agree that the finish seems slick, but also know that, as you say, surface marks don't show up in photo reductions.

A question....what made you decide to make your figure passive in resisting his bonds as opposed to the original's writhing and struggling form? There is more a sense of restraint in yours and a passionate attempt to be free in Michelangelo's. Was this on purpose or a by product of the the process?

Also, what is the destined home of this piece? Is it commissioned or for a gallery?

Good job, thanks for sharing this work with us.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Sculptor

Re: Fresh From the Foundry

Blake - I've already expressed my preference for Michelangelo's original in the case of an earlier post, and I take you at your word that you feel you are learning from him. As for this piece, the head strikes me as a bit large. The musculature is well done, but overall I find the piece a bit stylized. Iím sure you are working through your preferences and style; my personal preference would be for more individualization.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
ISC Professional Member

Thanks for your comments; the thought that I might have succeeded in putting a contemporary spin on a piece is indeed music to my ears. On the other hand, the passive nature of my figure is pure failure on my part to fully express the passion of the struggle captured by our friend Michel. I guess I could blame the process or perhaps the photos, as the sculpture itself seems stronger than the photographs portray, but in the end I must take the responsibility and admit that I have yet a long way to go.

The piece was created as part of my own body of work but I have a client who shares my love of this great master and has in the past purchased copies of my work inspired by Michelangelo, so I will be sending photos to several prospective clients. I am without a gallery at the moment.

Fritchie
After reading your comment this morning I ran to the studio with the fear in my mind that indeed the head was too big and was very relieved to find that my proportions are correct it is the only in the photo that the head is too big. I will have this piece professionally photographed and hopefully this photo will not have the same defect. In reference to the stylization I try to sculpt what I see but will watch for this in the future thank you for pointing it out individualization is very much the objective.

I very much appreciate all of your comments they are most helpful, thanks for taking the time
Blake
Old 05-17-2005, 05:06 PM
ISC Professional Member

You know LostNYC it is great to have people who believe in you especially clients. It gives us the courage to continue against the odds. As well, it sure is nice to be able to talk to you guys about the whole process it is fantastic to know that you are out there.
Thanks
Blake
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Sculptor

Re: Fresh From the Foundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake

Fritchie
After reading your comment this morning I ran to the studio with the fear in my mind that indeed the head was too big and was very relieved to find that my proportions are correct it is the only in the photo that the head is too big. I will have this piece professionally photographed and hopefully this photo will not have the same defect. In reference to the stylization I try to sculpt what I see but will watch for this in the future thank you for pointing it out individualization is very much the objective.

I very much appreciate all of your comments they are most helpful, thanks for taking the time
Blake
Iíve photographed all my own work to date, but it IS a job, and with the shift to digital cameras, professional photography may be the way to go today. A telephoto lens of some sort is very important in avoiding these false-perspective images. My most recent images were done electronically, with at least a modest telephoto. Iím happy with the results to date.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 PM
ISC Professional Member

Thought that I would post some new professional photos of this work. To see if anyone had further comments.
Also after some thought concerning a comment from Jason asking about the passive nature of my figure as opposed to the passion of the struggle shown in Michelangelos' marble, I have come to realize that some expression within a work comes from within the creative spirit that we all have inside us and that force guides us in one direction or another. When I was working on this sculpture I was not saying to myself this slave is struggling, I was saying that this guy is rebelling and I liked the mad "pissed off" look he has and in the end the poor bast**d does not seem to be struggling against his captors but he does look like he is a revolutionary, an insurgent, someone who will rise up against his enemy. Perhaps I had not thought about it as much as I should have or perhaps all the talk about terrorists had an influence of some kind, who knows. Although I was originally disappointed with this lack of struggle once it was pointed out, I must admit that I am not displeased with the piece at this point, but am very much the better for having had the comment pass on to me and I have found that several comments made by people in this site have certainly changed the way I look at some of the details while working on a piece. So thanks for your help and keep the opinions coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel 1.5 .jpg
Views:	381
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1810  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel 2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1811  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel 3.jpg
Views:	378