Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

Let's See Some Work!!!

Hey guys, it seems like it's been a while since I've seen a group of figurative sculptures posted here. I love seeing new work and work in progress. So here's my challenge to all you figurative sculptors out there.... Post some work!!! Recent work, work in progress, even something old if you really like the way it turned out. Lets see some sculpture.

I'll get it started. These are two pieces I never posted here. I recently finished them and they were accepted into a show in Santa Ana. They didn't sell, but I got a good contact out of the show.

Now let's see your stuff.

Alfred
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Level 9 user

Re: Let's See Some Work!!!

Ok, I'm gonna try again, if it works these are my first couple of clay pieces...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Level 9 user

didn't work
Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Level 10 user

Too bad, Dilida.. try it again so we can see...

Alfred- Would love to see yours up close but the attached image isn't enlarging and opening up for me. Is it working for everyone else?

~Tamara
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry Tamara, I still don't know how to make images enlarge. You can go to my website if you'd like and look under New Work. You can enlarge those photos.

I've already commented on your wonderful piece of the womanina vineyard, but if there's something new on the horizon, I'd love to see it.

Alfred
Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Level 9 user

I don't understand why the images won't upload here, the width and height are below what the limit is here, but it always says they are too big, by just a little. I've posted them on photobucket, but don't know how to post a link here. I just don't have much patience for computors.

lisa
Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry to here that you're having troubles with posting. I'm not all that computer savy myself, I've just forced myself to do things so I don't get left behind technologically. I hope you keep trying to post the work, I was really hoping that that this thread could be a good place to view alot of our current projects. It seems like the metal and stone guys are more productive or at least more willing to share their creations.

Thanks again for trying.

Alfred
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Level 9 user

Ok, I think this is gonna work, (thanks Tamara). If a picture shows up, it should be a bobcat catching a jack rabbit. The photo is bad quality because I take pictures about the same way I run the computer. The name of the piece is Hare-To-Slow. I don't like the cat's face now, or the eyes painted black. That wasn't my choosing, but live and learn. If I can convince my patina man to do it again, the eyes won't be so stark.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Level 9 user

IT WORKED! This will be a good day!

Alfred, I know what you mean about the metal and stone guys, I think it must be their more aggressive personalities that go with thier mediums.(Joking!) I hope some more figurative people will post here also, I would hate to monopolise this thread, but I'm posting another bad photo of my work, it was my second casting, and I have actually sold two. He is Ho-Tah-Moie or better known as John Stink. He was an original allottee of the Osage, and is a somewhat legendary figure locally. He never adapted to white man ways, and is supposed to have died, been buried, and came back to town, so the Indians feared and ostrasized him. He lived alone and never married, always had a pack of dogs with him, and always wore that scarf. When I sculpted him, it was a very lonely time for me, so he seemed a natural subject.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Level 10 user

Good job Dilida!

You did it! And it's very nice to see your work here. The jack rabbit looks like he is in mid run right in the air as the bobcat catches him. Good action there. The sculpture of John Stink with the dogs and his lonely gaze is really a neat sculpture. So glad he had his dogs to give him company. Having that scarf on him really adds character to him as well. What's he holding in his mouth? Is it a piece of straw or a pipe?

Now I'll go and check out Alfred's website

~Tamara

P.S. In between serious sculpture right now. Working on getting my website done and bronze casting of last sculpture. Only have experimental quickie one day sculpts that I've completed recently.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Level 10 user

Dilida, I think the eyes being black make it look more visceral. if you want the kill to look more "Disney", that's a different matter. Circle of life.
A great piece with the sweep and frantic glance.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Level 10 user

Dilida, very nice! I like the bobcat piece, it as a lot of energy. I agree with you about the eyes, gives him a bit of a wierd stare. The John sculpt also fits really well with how you described his legendary personality. Good Job overall on both pieces.

I've got a piece near completion now, but I haven't photographed him. He'll be a companion piece to a reclining female I have on my site. Later, I plan on sculpting them together, by resculpting the lower arms so that they're holding eachother and resculpt the bases so that they are a single unified base. It will be the first time I've cast a multiple figure composition. I've sculpted multiple figure compositions in the past but was never satisfied enough to cast them. I was hoping to finish him before the New Year, but things are getting busy with all the holiday stuff around here, and I'm spending less time in the studio. It's kinda sad really because all he needs are hands and feet, but they can be so expressive and they're a big part of this composition so I have to do them right.

Thanks for posting,

Alfred
Old 12-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I think it must be their more aggressive personalities that go with thier mediums.(Joking!)
I was just rolling up my sleeves when I saw you were joking...rats! Hey I like your pieces very much. I like that the bobcat is doing what bobcats were designed to do. Ho-Tah-Moie is very very interesting. How did you come up with his image? I demand a better photo(I'm rolling up my sleeves again).
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 PM
ISC Member

It is only the second torso I have carved in stone in thirty-odd years of working stone.

It was a self-imposed challenge to salvage an existing scrap of stone that was destined for the dumpster.

Story here: http://www.gpc.edu/~ddougan/sculpture_of_the_month.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantRouge (1).jpg
Views:	451
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	7417  Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantRouge (2).jpg
Views:	406
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	7418  Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantRouge (5).jpg
Views:	406
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	7420  Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantRouge (3).jpg
Views:	439
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	7421  
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Level 10 user

great piece, Don! yes, there's something liberating about starting with trash. I really like the use of the pigments/dye on the stone too.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Level 9 user

Did this life sized man & its now at the foundry. This is what its state was 2 weeks ago. This picture shows the moulding process, they've put rubber on & it awaits finishing the casing of plaster.

Currently its in the shell stage & plan is to be cast into about 5 or 6 big pieces, and maybe it'll get tacked together into 1 piece before Xmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moulding.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	7422  
Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Level 3 user

Haven't been on site in awhile. I finished a couple small busts recently.

More on Sun Lu Tang:
http://www.keropiansculpture.com/sunlutang.html
More on Vic morrow: http://www.keropiansculpture.com/vicmorrow.html

MK
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Level 10 user

Wow!!!! you guys really up'd the anty with those pieces. To qoute Tony the Tiger.. They're Great!!!!

Don, I love that torso, great job. What kind of stone was it. I know some stone guys down in Laguna Beach who have been wanting to get me to start carving some figures in stone. I tell them that I don't have the patience for it. I work so fast and want results so quickly that I think I'd just give up after a couple of weeks and still no finish.

Furby, is that piece for the commission you were talking about several months back?

Keropian, I love those sculpts. Such power in the expressions. You should be very pleased with those. It looks like water based clay. Are these pieces commissions? If so, where are they going?

Thanks for posting such beauties.

Alfred
Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Level 10 user

Ok, after seeing those great pieces, I thought I'd post this one as well. I think I may have posted it when I returned from the Richard MacDonald Workshop, but it wasn't finished. This is the bronze figure.

I decided to post the companion figure as well. I'm still working on that one and this is an older photo, I haven't taken any since. Just needs the hand and feet details. Eventually I'll cast copies of the pieces in wax and resculpt them so they're together, hands interlocked. I'll resculpt the bases into one unified base. This way I get three sculpture out of two figures.

Alfred
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Level 8 user

I will try to get a piece attatched that is a photo of a piece on show at the local arts walk. It is a horrible picture outside that shows nothing of the form. It kills me because "form" is what gets me going more than "representative" and here is my plug for the metal guys and all of our "atitudes"? is that how you put it?
This is a twenty-four foot long and eleven feet high. A self portrait at that! http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0...59d200bfbc22df
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Level 8 user

I will try again
Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Level 8 user

I keep shrinking and getting a message about my 122KB exceeds the limit of 80KB. I can't figure it out because I made it really small????
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Level 10 user

I feel your fustration Malloy. Most of us have gone through this problem loading photo images. After this initiation baptism, many have forgotten what are the difficulties.

Anyway, there are two methods to post picture graphic images.

The first one is when the image is already on the web. In that case it is to click into the yellow 'insert image' icon above, and entering the URL of the image.

The second one is when the image is still in your computer. In this case there is are size limits. I am no expert in this. I think one limit is 70 KB (or KP). The other limit is the height and width. I think they are 700 x 700 B or P.

For this method, click on the 'manage attachments' button at the panel below.

Somebody correct me if any of the above are wrong.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Level 10 user

I have already posted one of the works I enjoy. See my lion cub avatar above. It is still a plaster cast, total length about 18".

It is not easy, but I solved the problem casting the the long slender tail in plaster.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Level 9 user

Yes thats the commission i was working on, it was real hard work Took about 3-4 months to get it standing there looking person-like.