Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Level 1 user

lightweight framework structures

hi im looking at making a lightwieght framework chair to sew clothes around. just wondering if anyone had any ideas on lightwieght frameworks which would work? i was looking at plastic mesh but it isnt strong enough to use as a seat. any ideas would be great?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
ISC Member

Re: lightweight framework structures

Could you please provide more details. I am not sure how you are going to use the framework. Are you making a chair that people will sit on? Any drawing of the final shape would help.

Ari.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Like Ari said are you going to have people sit in afterward? If so the frame would have to be able to with stand say two people piling in for a photo. People seem to do things first and then think about later. After they talk to a lawyer! You could TIG a frame out of aluminum or weld up a bar stock steel frame then cover with the plastic mesh or screen cloth. More info is needed.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Level 1 user

hey guys. yeah it will be for people to sit on afterwards. right now the shape im thinking is just a bog standard chair shape.just wanted a lightweight internal frame to upholster the clothes around. Was thinking thin steel bar etc. how would you attach the plastic mesh to a steel frame work. sorry if thats a dumb question, never used the stuff before.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Level 10 user

Two ways come to mind as I was reading, wire or wire ties for garbage bags. You can get green paper coated spools at garden centers. Any of the cheap thin coat hangers that will bend under a winter coats weight Its snowing here and they are projecting a mess for the next couple of days! Not as bad as upper NY state. 115" keep shoveling.
Also the wire tie wraps plastic type you can get a bunch pretty cheap at Harbor fright, or on line. If any chance of UV rays get the black stablized ones. even heavy carpet thread, cotton string, or strips of plastic bags. I guess that ended up as more than two. Cabin fever is setting got to get the furance finished in the shop
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Level 10 user

If your in school that means theres probably a welder somewhere in the art building. Go find it, get some half-inch round bar and make your frames. (They might make you take a course. If you dont want to a sculture student might be able to do it real cheap).
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Level 10 user

You may not need an additional inner frame for the the canvas fabric. How about using the outer frame itself. This is one example.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
ISC Member

How about a chair? Check out the local thrift store.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Level 1 user

cheers guys. thats really helpful. there is a welding area in the workshop which i have used before. i'll give it a go. I had been looking at Tom Dixons wire frame series so think thats a possible winner. All the other suggesttions are great. i'll try each as its all worth marks in development. thanks alot. any other ideas would all be well received. thanks. p.s well jealous that u have snow. it tried to snow here in england for like a day last week but was rubbish.