Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Your opinion about this artist

I can't really say much about the art, since all I've seen is a rather poor photo of it. But my opinion of the artist definitely went down a notch when I hear that he can't face criticism, to the point of demanding that this discussion be removed. Any artist has to face the fact that not everybody is going to appreciate a particular piece of art. Some won't like any of their work - that's life. If this artist is so sensitive that having people talk about his work is unbearable to him, he should keep it secret, and certainly never show or sell any of it.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Werby View Post
I can't really say much about the art, since all I've seen is a rather poor photo of it. But my opinion of the artist definitely went down a notch when I hear that he can't face criticism, to the point of demanding that this discussion be removed. Any artist has to face the fact that not everybody is going to appreciate a particular piece of art. Some won't like any of their work - that's life. If this artist is so sensitive that having people talk about his work is unbearable to him, he should keep it secret, and certainly never show or sell any of it.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Sure Andrew, agree with you 120%. The discussion shifted all at a sudden from what our perception of his sculpture could be, to his stand on unfavourable views of his work. Some blows come from people who aren`t amateurs so a degree of thruth, and some constructiveness is always possible to draw on behalf of the artist himself. In all, what should really matter is the outlook of the artist more intelligently looking at the half FULL glass, even when someone may shout the darn thing is bone dry...

Last edited by Nelson : 07-24-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Level 3 user

Yes scrapartoz, I don't think it's mandatory to have explained myself, but placing myself in the artist in question his/her shoes, I would indeed have appreciated it WHY someone writes something in the "guest book". But should we then also not explain WHY we write anything, either it being "positive" or "negative", since nothing is either until we think of it as such (loosely paraphrasing Shakespeare).
Perhaps we should move the discussion somewhere else and show how empathic we really are... I do hope Mr. V, sculptor in bronze and marble, has found it enlightening.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Level 10 user

You bothered to write in the fellow"s book...and took no responsibiltiy for what you wrote. Weak. Thats all.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Level 3 user

Your opinion about opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
You bothered to write in the fellow"s book...and took no responsibiltiy for what you wrote. Weak. Thats all.
Well... it was all- until the selfish act of conceit was flaunted here, then obstinately defended.

I pretty much despise all jazz that involves more than a piano. I don't go out of my way to hear it, or to voice my disdain for it- as doing so would be perversely destructive.

"Autodidact" means "self-taught", not "can't learn from others"; there are learning opportunities present when confronted by work that others admire, but we do not. Expanded understanding/perception doesn't mean embracing and incorporating, or the attenuation of our own vision. It may very well be that Adolphine had no worth wild contribution to make to the painter; if the work hadn't been regarded -perhaps out of jealousy- as an affront, the painter may have had something of worth by way of education to offer Adolphine. Even the rice farmer has something to teach you- if you know how to learn/listen.

Gimmicks oft taint what might otherwise be sound work- be it quantity, contrast, scale, abstraction, super realism, the absurd- what have you. Is the quality integral to the work, and does it speak favorably to some portion of those experiencing it? Regarding Jeroen Vermeir's work, the prevalent prominent ribs seem an artistic affliction- stuck on a theme that isn't developing toward perfected expression, just more of the same. While Vermeir may wish the power to trod Godzilla-like across salons and coffee shops, forums and communities that speak critically of the work, we remain fortunate that there is no such potency behind the tantrum. Sadly, ego rejected interest beyond control- we could have had such a lovely conversation...

Wrapping the topics of critique and prejudice together, I'll make another admission: I prefer representation and narrative over the abstract or the subjectively pointless. Turning to the work of an artist that has proven a predilection to pontificate, Adolphine's “Religioussily” provides me a mixed challenge: figurative and abstract, the symbolism appeals to my desire for story. A bit of a cypher. For me, the seated figure blocks the perception of the larger figure, while looking inward- a warning. A bit preachy, unsubtle- as intended, I suppose. I wonder, though- were it not for the shared symbolic lexicon, how would I regard the work? A bit esthetically off putting? Some work that I have deep affection for, I initially found distasteful. Time will tell.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Level 3 user

In the way you are talking (Evaldart), I sense some sort of failure in the arts by yourself (still talking to you E) which you clearly have acknowledged by looking at your "Farmers Walk" where you try to disarm any negativity that you felt was inevitable by disclaiming "My carving efforts thus far - infantile and clumsy". I think you better try and let go of whatever trauma you have from someone who spoke the truth, with you knowing he spoke the truth, but didn't "bother to explain it to you". Why do you even bother replying if you can't even understand what I am saying.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphine View Post
In the way you are talking (Evaldart), I sense some sort of failure in the arts by yourself
If you aren't failing, then you aren't trying- at least, nothing beyond hitherto accomplished. Check out Bill Shatner's song "Has-ben", which speaks directly to the issue- and detractors of 'failure'.

Adolphine (another name for Methadone, by-the-way- can I just call you Emanuel?), that interpretation and assessment of evaldart's motive was so over sized and craptacular, it is impossible to believe you would expect anyone to swallow it- yourself included. Oh, I'm not suggesting that you close your critical eye- only that your attempts to deflect when the focus is on you are failing -badly.

Last edited by mavigogun : 07-25-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

I'll receive the deflected ire, no problem at all (at the risk of us slipping of-topic). It turns out, A, that the long ago aformentioned "infantile and clumsy" relationship that I had initiated in "Farmers Walk" has persevered thrillingly. The conscious avoidance of any maturity and of the developing of any skill in the undertaking of that body of figurative work (the carvings) has enabled and propelled the creative experience there-in. In all, things there are developing significantly. Though, as always, in idle-er moments, some pertinent banter is always a plus.

I'm not yet ready to bag it (sculpture) yet...though I do have a fondness for collecting stamps. Perhaps THAT should receive my passion, huh?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Sculptor

Just a footnote to all this. My email to the original purchaser (figurative@rt) that was sent yesterday came back overnight as undeliverable. He may now want out of this discussion completely.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavigogun View Post
If you aren't failing, then you aren't trying- at least, nothing beyond hitherto accomplished... Oh, I'm not suggesting that you close your critical eye- only that your attempts to deflect when the focus is on you are failing -badly.

Perhaps I'm failing (badly), at least I'm trying. A wise person once told me this
I know you don't mean it like that Mavigogun, I just couldn't pass up on the twister. But fair enough, I felt the focus on me as somewhat magnifying and concentrating to such a degree that it was giving a burning sensation. Perhaps I shouldn't eat too spicy. I'm possibly bad in interpreting Evaldart, though I can't help but feel that he doesn't bother to read what I have to say, and instead calls me irresponsible and weak. Dig,... I'm pretty sure that's where my childish reply found it's root. But hey, I am still a child, so at least, I have an excuse. Perhaps not.

Evaldart, I suppose a true sculptor will bag it when he's in the bag, so I do hope you'll keep creating (compliment).

And Mavigogun, you may call me Emanuel or by my other middle name Florent. I like the name Adolphine, since you can read it as "a dolphine" a gentle and intelligent creature. I guess the subliminal strength of the word couldn't stand up to my excellence in playing nintendo.

Fritchie, sorry to change the position of your footnote.