Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Level 9 user

WIP first sculpture in a long time.

Hi. This is probably my first post with photos. I used to do sculpture a lot, but have not done any in about 15 years. This is my first one. I finally found the "directions" to uploading photos. Well, let's see if it works. I am a little shy about showing my art because I don't see myself as very good yet. There is room for improvement -- and if you would, could you make some comments on how I could improve this?

So, this is a WIP of horse and colt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010077.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	12325  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010079.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	12326  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010070.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	12327  
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Level 10 user

Re: WIP first sculpture in a long time.

Your too modest its spot on and it looks very dynamic to me. Is the thigh part of the adult finished? If it is the this would be the only area that I would do a slight alteration on, as it seems indented the wrong way. I would make it a bit wider there I think.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Level 9 user

A lot of people seem to sculpt that area as a solid chunk. Most of the musculature of the thigh originates from the greater throchanter to the epicondyle (patella area). The rectus femoralis and tensor originate from the crest of the illium. The r.femoralis may be a little too skimpy in this instance. I am waiting to purchase a much better equine anatomy book to see if I have made many mistakes.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Level 10 user

In the diagram below it looks like you have indented the green, blue and red muscles making up the small triangular region at the front of the thigh too much. sorry dont know their names

http://www.equi-therapy.net/equi-the...se-anatomy.jpg
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Level 9 user

Yes-- I understood that those were the muscles in question. The green, pink and blue ones. When flexed or extended they take on a different configuration than this the standing diagram horse. The green and top of the red are attaching at the crest of the illium (hip bone) they are thinner "sheet" muscles. The indentation is actually quite deep. I will try to find a picture to post. The problem is also whether a horse is "overweight" or not. Since it is a race horse, I tend to make them a bit underweight and very muscular. Unfortunately I take your point, she is a post-partum mare and would likely have more fat on her.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Level 10 user

I think to take this further it would help to concentrate more on the feeling and gesture, what you love about horses as energy in motion. Precision in anatomy is a good foundation but can also become an obsession that detracts from good art. What mantrid points out, which I assume refers to the second photo, looks odd no matter how anatomically correct it may be. The concave area has too much emphasis or contrast to the overall form, so that attention is drawn there when it should flow more evenly across all the surfaces which would be reinforcing the gesture.

I don't know what your sculptures were like 15 years ago, but that is a good job from such a long hiatus.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post
musculature of the thigh originates from the greater throchanter to the epicondyle (patella area). The rectus femoralis and tensor originate from the crest of the illium. The r.femoralis may be a little too skimpy in this instance. .
reminds me of a wonderful little charcouterie in belgium, they had little anatomical paper bags ...tasty stuff.
horse is underated dont u think?

Last edited by racine : 05-20-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: better than beef, nearly as good as venison
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Level 9 user

Not quite sure what is meant here by "good art." I've seen plenty of good art that is obsessive about anatomy-- but never mind. I am getting a bit further and it is looking better on that area that bugged people. It certainly will not turn out a "plastic model" but the anatomy needs to be right before I start with the fancy surface. I've always been quite realistic in my work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010083.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	12328  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010090.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	12329  
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Sculptor

Welcome back to sculpting, Katy. When I look at these pics, I see clearly that this is a work in progress and that you have yet to add loose skin, as for example over the throat in the frontal picture. Its been a long time since I looked closely at horses, but the two side pics also give me the feeling that the rump is too small overall in comparison with the forward body.
I think I also see what Glenn touches on - I don't feel a flow to the piece (mainly the adult), but a set of individual details. Overall a good WIP, though
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Level 9 user

Okay-- to address the "flow" I have changed the narrative a bit to make it more sentimental. There were only a few places I could do any wire bending at this point. This gives more communication between the animals. Does this work better?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010092.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	12332  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010093.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	12333  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010094.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	12334  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	12335  
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Level 10 user

The compositional element is not what I had addressed in my comments, but rather the flow of form across surfaces. Your anatomical details appear to be over-modeled, which happens when you look so intently at a specific form that the change in planes is exaggurated relative to the greater whole of the subject.

In the third photo the hip areas of both horses have from my perspective an exaggurated concavity, as well as that extending farther up towards the top of the horse than I would expect. This might occur in a part of a stop motion photo of a galloping horse, but does not appear typical, if the body of horse sculpture that I have seen and observations of horses in my area are to be believed. Also the transition from the belly to the hip seems overly abrupt. The result of this is that the entire hip/leg areas as modeled look like distinct elements not flowing in connection to the rest of the horse.

Compare that to the photo of a horse walking, as well as a bas-relief on an ancient Greek coin, where although the form is well defined, the mass-relations are continuous and it all reads as one unit.

Remember that you are sculpting a concept, not an aggreagate of anatomical details, so it is alright to supress or exaggeurate form as needed to effectively communicate the concept. Your concept of the horses and their relationship is a good one, so the point of my critique is to not have these minor things call attention away from the theme.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	horse walking.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	12336  Click image for larger version

Name:	SyracuseB647r.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	12337  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Level 9 user

thanks. I like getting help from people who are really good at what they do.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

Always interesting for me over years that when working a form into the clay upclose and for hours, that, after leaving it and coming back into the studio, say the next day, the errors jump right out at me. What Glenn was pointing to, I think, getting so involved in the detail that I lose connection with the whole.
As much as I may not want to, I trust those flash impressions of something I'm working on. They say "something is wrong!" and even though that "something" may mean major changes and, many times, starting again, I do it now... if I'm not really satisfied with all the aspects of a piece, I don't expect anyone else to be. Of course making "right" what I see is "wrong" is always the challenge.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Level 9 user

Today's work better yet, I think I am getting it. I had to really think about what was being said. Thank you really. I think it is a much better piece now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010105.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	12340  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010104.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	12341  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010106.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	12342  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Level 10 user

Wow! Yes indeed. Great improvement! In the first two photos it has much more vigour and fluidity of movement now. The third photo has a difficult angle to gauge from. Way to go!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Level 9 user

Thank you so much for the observations. Now, with just a little more work (missing hoof, mane, and some tweaking) -- I think I am ready to cast it with or without the colt. It might be cheaper without. I am only a beginner (born again?) sculptor, and want to get a quantity of these together to try to show them. Thanks. Maybe a human figure next?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Level 10 user

The Musculature of the hind legs is much improved. I would still do a bit more though. Personallt I would thicken the top of the hind legs a bit more. In the second picture to me they seem a bit narrow here.
Also have you checked the length of the back legs with each other? It might just be the picture but the trailing one seems a bit longer
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Level 9 user

I will check. As far as the photos-- the lens a wide angle lens-- my own camera died several months ago. This is borrowed and the only replacement I have been able to get. -- I think if it is "disturbing" then I should do something. I am a person who often warps things in my own 2-d work. This is a little more "realistic" than I normally get. I do more "impressionistic" art work.