Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Level 10 user

Young Sculptor Competition

Hey guys, I know this was quite a few months back, but I figured I'd share a success story with you guys. Earlier this year I was selected to compete in the National Sculpture Society's Young Sculptor of the Year Competition (held, this year, at Brookgreen Gardens in South Carolina). It was a goal of mine for over a decade, and I finally got in and I ended up winning 2nd place. You guys can check out the article here and you can see a slideshow of some of the competition here and if you're interested in seeing the prizes, you can go to the NSS web site here

I was going to post a picture of my sculpt in here, but the hosting site keeps removing the nude sculptures. So instead, you can see a couple detailed photos here

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Young Sculptor Competition

Wow! Congratulations! How's THAT for validation?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Level 10 user

Way to go, Alfred! You had a good advantage having already made name for yourself being a fast sculptor. Next time give us a heads-up ahead of time, and we can organize a cheerleading section to send you good sculpting vibes!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Level 10 user

If I manage to get into something like this again, I'll definitely give a heads up. The speed wasn't an issue at all. In fact I was done 1/2 a day early and I stopped before I kept noodling on the piece. The commercial sculpting has definitely made me even faster.

Cheers!!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 AM
Sculptor

Congratulations, Alfred! I visited Brookgreen very many years ago and consider it probably the best site for figurative work on the East Coast, certainly for outdoors. The setting is beautiful, with very old oaks and beautifully landscaped grounds. Built by one of the early California railroad magnates.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Level 10 user

It is quite a site to behold. Every day, after the competition. The curator of Brookgreen (Robin Salmon), took us on a privately guided tour of the grounds. We got to see things that the regular visitors don't get to see. And having a vast collective knowledge between all the competitors, we could ask poignant questions about the works and Robin knew it all. A fantastic place to see the best collection of American Figurative sculpture.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Level 3 user

Congrats! i remember coming across this browsing deviant art before i realized it was yours. great work! i also only became aware of brookgreen gardens this year, looks like a great place.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

Brookgreen is a must for any fan of figurative sculpture. Their collection is amazing. I'm sure I'll be back again, and my hope is to have my work in Brookgreen some day. Knowing the curator and having formed a good friendship will also help. She wants to see my work there as well (before she retires). Now I just need to make something worthy of being in there.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Level 3 user

well i hope you get something in there someday. Upon seeing this image i decided that having a sculpture in a place like this would be beyond amazing. i'll just add it to the list of things i'd like before i die.