Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Level 10 user

Welcome To My Nightmare!!

Hey guys, here's a project I just wrapped up for a private commission. It's a 1:1 Alice Cooper bust. The sculpt was completed in three days (roughly 18-20 sculpting hours). This is the finished, hollow cast resin. Hope you like it.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Welcome To My Nightmare!!

Very good as usual Alfred, the likeness is certainly accomplished. But there is trouble in clay (and mabye stone too) that the hair is not able to support the tone of the face (especially for a hard rocker). There must be a way for it to possess the right presence in the end. Clay hair almost always looks smooth and molded...pressed into place, tight to the skull - which is not what all hair does.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Level 10 user

Great job man. I love his radio show great music and very amusing. On that note if any of you are molding your hair tight to your skull with clay you should send me pictures if that. Lol
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. Evaldart, the hair is always a complicated thing. In this case, it was all about keeping within the budget. I wanted the hair to be a little more wild, but that would've required a more complex molding process and possibly multiple molds. That didn't fit into the clients budget, so we compromised on this design - which, while it is a compromise, I feel it still fits the style and attitude of the face.

The base was also a compromise. I wanted him to be suspended by a noose or snake around his neck, but again, that would've cost more. So we went with a more traditional base design. Once it gets painted, I think the feeling and likeness will really start to shine.

Cheers!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM
ISC Member

Nice Work.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Sculptor

Another great job, Alfred. I was botherd also by the hair and eyebrows, but the budget explains a lot. We all are familiar with that.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. Once it gets painted, it will look very cool. There was an option on the table for a short while, to leave him without hair, and then do a wig. It couldn't be punched hair as it was a resin cast, but a well styled wig would've worked too. The client felt that she didn't want it to be too real looking, as she might have been weirded out by that.

Cheers!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Level 10 user

I the buyer is happy, that is all that matters.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Level 10 user

Hey guys, I know most people on this forum aren't into Hyper-realism or poly-chrome painted figures, but I thought I'd share a quick shot of the Alice Bust anyway. I think it turned out great and it will be the center piece of my booth at Monsterpalooza in a couple weeks.

Cheers!!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Nice, Alfred!!!
So, did the client want him in his older state? A younger version of him while he was just the singer for "AC" would be cool.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Level 10 user

The client wanted Alice circa 1990. That's when she became a fan of Alice Cooper and his music was really at it's height of popularity. I think he was around 40 at that time.

Cheers!!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
ISC Member

Alfred, You're the man!
Looks great!
Jeff
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 AM
ISC Member

Alfred
This piece rocks so no need to have any second thoughts. But for the next piece like this, since it was going to be polychromed I was wondering why not just make it out of water clay, fire it to bisque and leave it at that? It would be cheap (no mold) and you could make the hair as undercut and negative spaced as you like. This kind of bust format would work fine and if you got cracks, no problem, just paste them up with Magic Sculpt or PC7 or whatever and paint over it. If you wanted the smoother finish than bisque you can do a second firing with a gloss glaze and then paint over that. Just a thought from a clay-loving guy.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Level 10 user

Hey Bob, nice to hear from you again. This piece needed to be molded, as there were going to be multiple copies made. The client got two and I got one. Plus I'm not all that well versed at firing clay. I got the sculpt done in three days and then it went to mold, so the timeline is much shorter as well.

I rarely get asked to do "One-Offs". Most everything I do get cast multiple times and therefor requires molds.

Cheers!!

Alfred