Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Level 8 user

Why I love the internet

I just got an email tonight from Fernan Dominguez, the son of Lorenzo Dominguez (Chile - Spain - Argentina, 1901-1963) -- the sculptor of the above portrait (of the poet Ramponi)

What a great portrait sculptor ! -- as well as a sculptor of figurative monuments - especially with religious themes.

The family has made a website for him at:

http://www.ictp.trieste.it/~colavita/

--- and this is what I see happening over-and-over again in this decade -- as the families of 20th figure sculptors bring the work of their distinguished ancestors back into public notice -- circumventing the gatekeepers of the contemporary academic artworld.

This website is really a model of its kind ---- with no bells and whistles -- but a complete catalog raisonne of the man's work -- with a detailed but succinct biography as well.

He also shared with me the following article -- very relevant to the history of
figure sculpture in the free world after 1950:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...53/ai_16548152

(concerning an exhibition that merits further discussion)
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
ISC Member

Re: Why I love the internet

Hi, While it is sad to say that MANY very competent artists, Mr. Dominguez included have vanished from sight, it is extremely heartwarming to see a web site of his work.
Many artists, both figurative and non-objective will suffer the same fate and it's nice to know that (at least) a web site may be in our future.
There are probably thousands of artists (like him) who have created a great body of work while receiving little recognition who will benefit from this.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Sculptor

Both Domenguez' work and the website are excellent. As Ironman just said (and as other perceptive sculptors have said here some time back), it is true though not a happy prospect that most sculpture, and most paintings, drawings and so on, will fade into a sort of oblivion with time.

The perceptive ones among us will realize that we work primarily for our own joy, and that we simply hope others will enjoy our work as well, and will protect it.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Level 3 user

I agree with fritchie, what a great site; a very heart warming post Mountshang. The future of the internet is mind boggling and the shear volume of information available to all is staggering. So what will it be like in 10 years time? I do hope that in a free world we will all be able to share it.

What ever we think of Domenguez's work we are the better for having seen it. The joy of grandchildren and great-grandchildren making this available to us is that it is not just motivated by financial reward but a genuine pride for the work and achievements of an ancestor and another good reason to remember the value of "The Family".