Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Level 10 user

Re: World's Ugliest Sculpture ?

Yes Leslie, it did make me spontaneously laugh. But I don't know which was funnier, the piece or the crack about Spokane.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie jackson View Post
Hi,

There are SO many pieces of cornea burning flotsam and jetsam out there, but this one came immediately to my mind.

This comes from the camp of ubiquitous ,'ugly chocolate people' currently annoying every park goer these days..

Yipes! no wonder the modern art :'variation on a donut' persists!....

anyway, CHECK THIS OUT;

http://pdxartwork.blogspot.com/2006/...sculpture.html
Ugly chocolate people- Heh heh - but I actually have no problem with this. A portrait is an interpretation, and as my friend Bats says, it is the mistakes that make an artwork interesting. I noticed as I was sitting here this morning that I had taken the same pose too...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Level 8 user

What surprising responses !

First -- the discussion of whether looking for examples of ugliness would only appeal to "small minds" ( I admit -- it is rather like turd sniffing)

Then -- the suggestion that Bourdelle's "Hercules" was, if not ugly, at least unlikable (something about the size of his bow and the in-your-face genitals)

Finally -- the discovery of an ordinary, contemporary American public figure sculpture. (aren't there examples of similar quality in a park near you?)

BTW -- here's an example of a similar figure in a similar setting -- but with somewhat different qualities:

http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...artini/qm3.jpg

The sculptor was Quinto Martini (1908-1990) -- and how I wish I had a much larger picture of it !
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

I'm not that surprised, "ugly", much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly there are plenty of bronzes around my area, parks and buildings that seem rather ordinary and others quite pleasing. There are also many ugly things in life/sculpture that are very warmly regarded. They can grow on people and conversely; there are many pretty things which, immediately or after awhile cause revulsion.. The Hercules doesn't bother me a bit, I thought Michelangelo did one and it is among his missing (and perhaps still in existance) pieces..