Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Level 2 user

When to Bronze

OK, You all gave me such wonderful advise, I was wondering when a piece should be bronzed? How do you know if the sculpture is good enough to Bronze, and what is the average price for bronzing? Do most people bronze an early piece, or should you wait a few years until you have experience? The reason I am asking, is because my friend, the model for my bust, is interested in having the finished piece bronzed. And I do not have any inclination of what is involved.

Thanks for the help on the eyes. After some work this weekend, her eyes are vastly improved.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Level 2 user

When to Bronze - and where?

Another question is how to find a good foundry. In reading the multiple postings relating to bronzing, I noted all foundries are not equal. Does anyone know of a good foundry in the Washington DC area?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Level 10 user

Re: When to Bronze

Bronze casting can be expensive, and is a permanent medium. If you are entertaining doubts about it now, why go that route? You can make a mold and cast the work in plaster, which can be painted to appear as bronze if you like, or you can pour a wax that could be cast at a future time as desired, but still serve as a finished piece ( again, can be painted if desired) in and of itself.

If the piece ends up looking really nice when you are done, and the model wants to pay for it being cast, then that could be a different matter. Most likely you will be learning and developing as you go such that in a few years you would do things much differently, and may not want this in bronze. If you do decide to go for bronze, I would still recommend if possible that you set the piece aside for as long as possible without looking at it, and continue your studies of other work and your own continual sculpting efforts. Then come back to it and see if you have anything that you want to change.

You may also find the goad of putting it in bronze to be just the thing you need to push it to another level so you will always be proud in later years of what you accomplished. You have already demonstrated a good start.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Level 2 user

I'm actually doing the Bronze casting thing this year. I see all kinds of different sculptures being made into bronzes, and in all honesty, if you like it well enough to drop the money on the process, then do it.

There's only one real draw back, is that it is really expensive.

I'm of the mind that anything you produce that you like well enough to make molds of, and reproduce, is worthy of doing in Bronze. I've done a few pieces, and plan to do a few more this year as things progress.

Whatever you do though, find a good foundry that won't take liberties with your stuff.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Sculptor

All the above advice is good. It's a personal choice with each piece, and the process is exceptionally expensive with current costs of the raw material. Raw bronze ingot costs probably have doubled or more in just the last year, and expert workers also expect more for their services.

I lean toward GlennT's position. You are likely to advance your skill level quite rapidly at this early date, and you would be wise to wait another year or so while you do additional pieces. If the model herself likes it well enough to pay costs, then it's her decision, but you undoubtedly can expect the cost of conversion to wax and then bronze to be several thousand dollars. (I've forgotten the size, but I believe it's roughly lifesize, and that's the basis of my rough cost.)
Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Level 2 user

I buy bronze from metal scrap yards, and know quite a bit about metallurgy.

It's not hard to find good scrap. It's hard to find people who KNOW what they have lately.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
ISC Member

Re: When to Bronze - and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRON View Post
Another question is how to find a good foundry. In reading the multiple postings relating to bronzing, I noted all foundries are not equal. Does anyone know of a good foundry in the Washington DC area?
Hi KLRON, if you decide to go through with the bronze you should call "New Arts Foundry" in Baltimore. I had a few pieces done years ago, and stopped by to visit a couple of month ago. They do great work, and they are very reasonable. They will also work with you, and whatever you bring them.

I like them so much, that I am planning to use them again, and I live in Florida. I just got quotes from them at the end of last year, and like I said, they were very reasonable, and more reasonably pirced than the local foundries.

Good luck.

Ari.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Level 2 user

Cold Cast Bronze.

The original base is the darker piece. The one on the right is the cold cast bronze.

The upper head is bronze, the other head original.

I have some closer pics on my blog.

Cold cast bronze is a much cheaper method to get the look and feel of a bronze. It also will tell you what your piece will look like in bronze as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Level 2 user

A matched set for charity.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post

A matched set for charity.
I am not able to see your examples. Is there something special I need to do?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Level 2 user

I'm not sure why you can't view the photos.

Please go to my blog then.

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

Scroll down, you'll see them.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Level 10 user

hi tommy i love the look you got going on these guys would you tell me what you did .like if you added some pigment or wax i really like the dark and shinny parts chris.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Level 2 user

Two words.

Black Primer.

That's it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Level 10 user

thanks tommy so do you just paint it first and than rub with steel wool
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Level 2 user

Sometimes I use paper towels and lacquer thinner.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Level 10 user

great thanks for the tips chris.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Level 2 user

Thanks for the info. Great work!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Level 1 user

Those look great Tommy!

Never knew you had cold cast them in bronze... I only saw the painted ones.

Claudio
Old 04-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

If and when you find a foundry that'll cast your work, make an effort to compensate them above and beyond what they ask for. Foundry owners need all the friends they can get. Most tend to run tight margins and sell themselves short. If they see you as generous, they'll make the extra effort to see that your work is done right.

Think about it, at their most expensive, most foundries are way cheaper than a dentist.....yet they do so much more. A foundry person relationship is priceless......give'm all you got.