Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Level 3 user

first marble piece

Hi all,
I've just finished my first marble piece to speak of. I thought I'd put it out there to hear some feedback.

thanks
MD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kFront.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1736  Click image for larger version

Name:	kSide.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1737  
Old 05-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Level 6 user

Re: first marble piece

She's beautiful.
Please tell us more -- how big, who is she, how was it (I've never tried any stone), etc....
Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks rickb,

This is a piece I've been working on (off and on) for about 3 years. The total carveing time is more like 5 months if I were doing it 9 to 5.
This is a portrait of my wife and it's life size carved from carrara statuario marble.

I learned soooo much on this piece. I sculpted a small scale and large scale maquette. I used a pointing macine to help get the major features (for the likeness) but did the rest free hand.

I have heard good and bad reactions to using a pointing machine but I felt for my first piece and the fact that I wanted to get a good likeness, that I would use it. It seems most people fall into one of two camps with regard to the pointing machine. One is it's a cheat ane the other that it's a tool. I fall in the camp of it's a tool because I can tell you first hand the device helps but you still have to work.

thanks again,
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb
She's beautiful.
Please tell us more -- how big, who is she, how was it (I've never tried any stone), etc....
Old 05-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Level 6 user

Hey MD
How did you get your wife to sit still for so long???
Kidding aside, the bust is terrific, very expressive, and well carved.
Kuddos on your first--please do some more.
JVC
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Level 3 user

thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc stone
Hey MD
How did you get your wife to sit still for so long???
Kidding aside, the bust is terrific, very expressive, and well carved.
Kuddos on your first--please do some more.
JVC
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Level 10 user

Really nice piece,you must have some Italian in your blood,and if you don't you do now.You also picked the best marble in the world for getting that beautiful detail.I guess you will have to do a full figure one now,just a thought.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks,
I'm half Italian. I have to admit I have been drawn to Italian marble sculpture all my life so I think that obsession helps too.
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron ant
Really nice piece,you must have some Italian in your blood,and if you don't you do now.You also picked the best marble in the world for getting that beautiful detail.I guess you will have to do a full figure one now,just a thought.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Sculptor

Re: first marble piece; Great!

Absolutely gorgeous piece, Mtd. I agree with all the above comments. Itís very expressive, and a stunning piece for a first try.

Where did you get that pointing machine? Iíve never seen one, but my impression is that theyíre quite elaborate, and Iím sure also expensive. Were you able to use one at a school?

I agree with you that they should be considered a tool. Stone must be very unforgiving, and from what Iíve seen of the process, pointing does no more than give you reference points. You do most of the work yourself.

(By the way, many 19th century pieces Iíve seen in marble still have pointing marks on them. The sculptor or technician clearly decided the finished form was better without following the points slavishly. I canít give you specific examples, but maybe even some of Rodinís heads, or Carpeauxí.)
Old 05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Level 3 user

Re: first marble piece; Great!

Thaks very much Fritchie.
The pointing machine is a very old tool. I bought mine from the Compleate Sculptor in NYC. It costs about $300

Here's a picture of it. Basically it captures a point in 3D space and alows you to transfre it to another object. There are different ways to ensure proper registration but I mounted the clay and the marble to identical bases with the same registration points.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pointingmachine.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1741  
Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Level 3 user

I thought I'd post a couple more pics.
A close up and a shot of the pointing machine in use.
MD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	point.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1742  Click image for larger version

Name:	side1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1743  
Old 05-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Level 10 user

mtd,
Nice portrait. The softness of your carving lends a very life-like quality to the work.
I visited your website and enjoyed myself quite a bit. Your commercial work is interesting too as I've always had a great deal of interest in animation.

I'm with you on the point machine. Its use in the past was primarily as a time saving device. There is no reason why that is any different today. If the original was your own work, then there isn't much difference in my mind.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks for your kind words jason.

I believe you are starting at new york acadamy soon?

You should contact me when you get into town. I'd love to meet.
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGillespie
mtd,
Nice portrait. The softness of your carving lends a very life-like quality to the work.
I visited your website and enjoyed myself quite a bit. Your commercial work is interesting too as I've always had a great deal of interest in animation.

I'm with you on the point machine. Its use in the past was primarily as a time saving device. There is no reason why that is any different today. If the original was your own work, then there isn't much difference in my mind.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:54 AM
ISC Professional Member

MTD
This is a wonderful portrait, the soft features and delicate handling of the hair are very well done. The eyes are beautifully rendered and I appreciate the fine carving that allows the light to pass through the ears. Congratulations!
If I may make a suggestion, I am disappointed not to see more of the shoulders, perhaps it was your intention to leave us wanting more, in which case you have succeeded.
Blake
Old 05-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Level 3 user

Blake,
You have a good eye for composition. The original maquette had the piece going down well below the clavical.

Unfortunately in ordering this stone, it was cut about 3 inches shorter than I wanted. Not really knowing better I accepted teh piece and started working. I was also dissapointed in the viening of the stone. Statuario is suppposed to be nearly all white, this piece is abit too vieny.

These are among the manny thing I learned while making this bust. I'll know better next time.
thanks again,
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
MTD
This is a wonderful portrait, the soft features and delicate handling of the hair are very well done. The eyes are beautifully rendered and I appreciate the fine carving that allows the light to pass through the ears. Congratulations!
If I may make a suggestion, I am disappointed not to see more of the shoulders, perhaps it was your intention to leave us wanting more, in which case you have succeeded.
Blake
Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 PM

MTD,
The sculpture is lovely. You've managed to make her look both classic and contemporary - no small feat. The contours and translucency are gorgeous. What was your wife's response to the finished work? (I imagine she feels a bit like a goddess!)
JAZ
Old 05-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Jaz,
Thanks very much for the comments.
My wife is finishing up her doctorate in clinical psychology, so the idea of me hammering away at a likeness of her head was met with susspicion at first. Thankfully upon compleation she was very pleased with the piece.
thanks again,
MD