Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 AM
Level 10 user

Kylie Minogue and her famous rear in bronze

The pictures are a bit small, but I suppose you got the picture. Note this comment, "The statue is part of a Variety Entertainers of the Century display." It is not for an art museum.

Kylie Minogue and her famous rear immortalised in bronze

24.11.07 (dailymail.co.uk)

Pop star Kylie Minogue - and her famous rear - have been immortalised in bronze in a statue unveiled in her home town Down Under.

The life-size likeness, complete with lace body stocking and high-heels, will stand alongside fellow Australian entertainment greats in a Hollywood-style Walk of Fame at Melbourne's Docklands.

The figure took three months to fashion and was posed for by a waitress whose measurements are almost identical to Kylie's.

It is the work of sculptor Peter Corlett, who said he was inspired by Minogue's Showgirl tour to create a statue representing the "ultimate Kylie" .

He worked with the 39-year-old singer's management and dressmakers in London to get her body measurements, right down to the size of her wrist.

The body double, a dancer from Sydney, was then able to replicate the Minogue pose to help the Australian sculptor produce the final version.

The statue is part of a Variety Entertainers of the Century display. ...

Waitress Sophia James, 27, said ... "When I was younger I always tried to hide my bottom which is quite curvy, like hers.

"I'm glad singers like Kylie and J.Lo have made it fashionable to have some curves."
Old 11-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Kylie Minogue and her famous rear in bronze

Another statue shows her rear more prominently. But the big difference is that it shows her in all four.

Kylie slams Tussauds over sexy sculpture, from National Nine News, Australia.

Nov 24, 2007. She hasn't complained about the booty-licious bronze statue in Melbourne but Kylie Minogue is melting down over a wax sculpture at Madame Tussauds.

Just days after a bronze sculpture of the singer debuted Down Under, Minogue has reportedly slammed Tussauds for creating a waxwork of her on all fours.

"I did not approve that!" The Sun quoted Kylie as saying.

"I absolutely did not. .... I felt so humiliated. Absolutely!" ...

Minogue is one of two people to have had four statues made at Tussauds the other is the Queen. ...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Level 10 user

As I produce the life-and-a-half female scrap-metal sculpture "Lust" I will be keeping in mind the artistic and philosophical importance of the "Booty-licious" in the human form. Thanks for reminding me, Merlion.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Level 10 user

So much skill...so little to say...
Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Level 10 user

I think a nice ass says it all. If they weren't appreciated our species might die out.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Part of the problem here is that public statuary does not conform to a set of primary artistic rules, as does art in the great galleries and art houses. Because it is for a wide public audience, most of whom are not deeply into art, it may reflect anything from the shallowest values of pop culture to, on the other extreme, war deaths and great art - Gormley’s ‘Angel of the North’ is that for me, as is a lot of Moore’s work. In other words, not all statuary sets out to be art in the sense we often use it as members of the ISC community.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Level 7 user

I'm wondering if this sculpture says more than we might first think. I was not aware of who Kylie Minogue was before this post.

I did a google search and it seems that she is no more than a face (and a nice ass.) If the work is shallow and says nothing, it seems that it's reflective of the person herself...

Just a thought,

W~
Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Level 10 user

Will, You are from the US. Perhaps Kylie Minogue is better known in Europe and Australia.

Kylie Ann Minogue (born May 28, 1968) is an Australian, Grammy award-winning pop singer, songwriter and actress. ... According to Warner Music Australia, Minogue has sold over 60 million records worldwide. ...

Her popularity began to decline during the early 1990s, ... She returned to popularity as a dance–pop artist in 2000, and became well-known for her provocative music videos and expensively mounted stage shows.

In Europe and Australia, Minogue has become one of her generation's most recognisable celebrities and sex symbols.

The music video for "Where the Wild Roses Grow" (1995) (left)
was inspired by John Everett Millais' Ophelia (1851/52)
(right).

The above are taken from this link, Kylie Minogue

Last edited by Merlion : 12-08-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Level 7 user

After looking at the link, I'm convinced more than before that Kylie is just a Popstar looking for publicity by challenging the sculpture/statue to revive her dieing career.

She is always showing off her body. If you google her images, she's even done nudes. At least the wax has her butt covered and fully clothed.

Hullabaloo!

W~
Old 12-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Level 10 user

That Ophelia painting is at The Met, (the grand atrium at the entrance, last time I saw it) one of my favorites of all time...This Kylie person should not be mentioned in its most exalted company.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Level 10 user

About the bronze statue, I did mention right away after the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first post:
Note this comment, "The statue is part of a Variety Entertainers of the Century display." It is not for an art museum.

Last edited by Merlion : 12-09-2007 at 05:09 AM.