Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Level 1 user

Lightbulb Looking for training\study opportunities.

Hello forum friends,

Just an avid Matthew Barney inspired creative person here. Have good skills in drawing and oil paints, now want to learn sculpture.

I am very interested in mould-makings, new technologies, casting. am not interested in another clay class or standard western art history for now.
I'm looking for any kind of education- private, apprenticeship, short-term, university- that I can have access to these. Also, some serious study of sculpture and spirituality would be fascinating to me, re shamanistic tendencies in barney's art. Also, learning about video is another interest.

any new idea- more than welcome.
Many thanks,

gemini
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Level 1 user

Re: Looking for training\study opportunities.

er.. some reply ?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini_chasm View Post

Just an avid Matthew Barney inspired creative person here. other interest.

gemini
Hi gemini,
mathew barneys work has always struck me as loud and theatrical
much of his (technical) skills could be learned in special effects for movies and theatre.
whereabouts in OZ do you live? I think fox studios in Sydney still have an fx dept, might be worth a try.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Just an avid Matthew Barney inspired creative person here. Have good skills in drawing and oil paints, now want to learn sculpture. I am very interested in mould-makings, new technologies, casting.
Sounds to me like you might want to put the training aside for a bit and just make work. If you already have an art making vocabulary - Barney-esque work might best arise from enthusiastic experimentation and luck. As far as new processes or sculptural techniques - back up your gut with research from books and the web - in addition to trial and error.

Quote:
am not interested in another clay class or standard western art history for now.
Like so many (and as you hint at yourself) - Barney looks back as much as he looks forward! I don't know many artists that completely "shelf" traditional processes or a constant delving into art history.

Best of luck. Post your results!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Level 10 user

Well Gemini, everythings going exactly as it should for you. You finally decided that you need to do sculpture (If only Matthew Barney could make it to that level). As mentioned, get with the stuff (matter, material) and roll. Something will eventually resist you properly...and then go.

If I lived within a thousand miles of Underfoot I'd pay him a visit...(peek over the fence, STALK him). He's damn good.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Gemini,
As has been said, start. And along with trying every medium there is (and whatever others you can invent) and going off in tangents, sponge up all the info and stimuli you can glean in the 24/7 of your existence. If you are looking for a school where you will be challenged to experiment and where there are resources for picking people's brains you could try the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, MA, USA, though that's a hike (and swim) from where you are and a bit pricey. Or better yet, someplace in New York City. Then you could actually go to the Guggenheim where M. Barney did his thing.
The most important thing, though is your drive to push yourself to explore.
JAZ