Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Level 9 user

The proud owner of a new website

I have very recently published my own website to showcase some of stone sculptures I have done to date. It is far from finshed but I have put together a gallery with rollover functionality that I think works quite well. Please take a look and let me have your opinions on the site and the work.

DRL Sculpture Gallery
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Level 1 user

Re: The proud owner of a new website

Simple and clean, just like your sculptures. A well done site indeed!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Level 10 user

Limecutter, your site is very simple and to the point....I like it. I particularly like the Illius. Makes me want to touch it! Scout
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Level 10 user

Very nicely done. I also like the Illius above the others. I like them all.
Mark
Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 AM

Hello LimeCutter,
I also like the cleanness of your site. I can't fully experience it now because here at my studio I have a dailup connection and a funky older computer (becasue mys tudio is a "dirty" environment) and so I'll check it out when I get home. there I have dsl and a much more normal system.
I did however, see the still page with the four images on it and do have one suggestion about the layout. The simpler a design is, the more important the details. You might want to consider the hierarchy of font sizes. Because your titles are short, the dimensions come across large. If you left the titles as they are, but reduce the size, and thereby the dominance, of the dimensions the emphasis would be more on the title.
JAZ
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM

And I should also have said congratulations! It is quite an accomplishment to get a site up, particularly if you've done it yourself. I do not have the skill or the time, but I have a daughter who has a degree in computer graphics, so I pay her instead. All the better if you can do it yourself. And the site does look clean and professional. I have yet to see the rollovers, but I'll check it out later.
thanks for paosting it and welcome to the community.
JAZ
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Level 9 user

JAZ, thanks for your comments - I think your were right. I have taken them on board and changed the gallery page layout and decided to remove each piece description/demensions from this page to just leave the name. I also had a look at your site which is excellent.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Level 1 user

there is room for some improvements...
but I must say that the gallery is very well presented
the statues look very hard to sculpure, I think you should show them in a real life gallery...
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Level 5 user

Hi Mate, your site looks cool, easy to navigate with good quality pics!! Love your work!

I've seen your sculptures on the Banks Mill Studios site, are you from Derby?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Level 9 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw1972 View Post
Hi Mate, your site looks cool, easy to navigate with good quality pics!! Love your work!

I've seen your sculptures on the Banks Mill Studios site, are you from Derby?
Thanks dkw - thats the fourth generation website for me as a sculptor - and I think I am finally happy with it. Certainly my best yet. It is difficult to get the balance right between form and function.

I am an associate member at Banks' Mill and have a studio at Home Farm. Are you in or near Derby?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Level 5 user

I'm yet to sort my site out Dan, I've had a photography one for a while but I removed that to do I combined Photo/Sculpture site but I just don't seem to get round to it! (note to self, sort out website!!)

I'm actually from Cromford, so I know Derby pretty well, but i'm currently staying with parents in Lincs after a failed relationship in Sheffield so currently deciding where to end up lol!!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Hello LimeCutter,
I've just revisited your site. Your work is accomplished and pleasing and overall the simplicity of the website is refreshing. If you are still looking for input on the design, I could put in my two cents. Two things: it seems to me that the artworks should appear before the mailing list form; also the "next" arrow should be outside the art area, rather than on top of it. Your art is the reason you have this site and it should be the main attraction, with nothing interfering with the forms. Purity of form first. No arrows over it (even though they are very nice, subtle arrows) and no sign-up form in front to distract the viewer.
Only my opinion, of course.
JAZ
Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Level 9 user

Hi Jaz

Always happy to get feedback. I have wrestled my default home page being the mail list subscription or my gallery... and I got carried away with the notion that people are more likely to subscribe if it was more obvious. I am thinking about putting the default page back to the gallery as I think you are right about what the site is for.

The arrows dissapear if you do not hover over the picture - not obvious I know. I will see if I can move them over - not sure I can move them out of the picture frame completely.