Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Level 1 user

Hi, I'm Kolor

Hey. I just joined this forum. I am a beginning sculptor who is still in High School. I just started sculpting alabaster and soapstone about 3 months ago and made 2 very small, very mediocre works. One was a small abstract sculpture, the other a small beetle. Both look primitive. I use tools my dad has in his toolbox, a large file, a small rasper/riffler, and a chisel, and a 1 pound hammer.

Hopefully, I can learn to express myself through stone and learn to sculpt like a professional.

~Kolor~
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Hi, I'm Kolor

Kolor, you have two of the most important ingredients towards your success already, enthusiasm, and some tools!

Sculpting like a professional just means gaining control of your tools so they express your vision.

Sculpting as an artist...ah, there's the rub!

Feel free to post some photos if you want critiques. We've got a great talent pool of stone carvers here, with plenty of knowledge that they freely share. Also, for advice on technique you can use the search function of this website and cover a lot of ground before needing to ask new questions.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Hi Kolor,
It's refreshing to see a beginner who is trying to be objective about his own work.
You are starting a process...the more you do, the better you get.
Good to hear from you.
JAZ
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

Hey man sounds like you need a bigger hammer lol! keep beating on the stone use safty equip. and all will be well. Oh ya swing your arm not your wrist.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Level 10 user

Welcome Kolor, just grab them tools and get busy...take your art classes and work. Try out as many mediums as you can...no need to commit to anything yet, you've got it ALL ahead of you.

(I'm getting nostalgic visions of our now-all-grown-up Cooljames from a few years ago, when he was bright-eyed and curious...whimper...)
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias View Post
Hey man sounds like you need a bigger hammer lol! keep beating on the stone use safty equip. and all will be well. Oh ya swing your arm not your wrist.
Now, now, size doesn't matter - it's what you aim to hit.

(Tobias is right about safety though - protect your eyes, lungs and groin - but be prepared to let your ego, patience and artistic convictions get stripped raw.)
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Level 10 user

Not unlike hitting a baseball...with carving, all the good stuff happens from the elbow down. Unfortunately the forearms, wrists and hands get the last of the protien...so the rest of you will end up significantly more powerful than it needs to be. But there a benefits there-in. Drink your milk.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
(I'm getting nostalgic visions of our now-all-grown-up Cooljames from a few years ago, when he was bright-eyed and curious...whimper...)
It was fun watching him mature. That education did a number on him though. Why he went all the from having a very conservative, traditional mind set to...well, having an open mind. We warned you.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Welcome Kolor, just grab them tools and get busy...take your art classes and work. Try out as many mediums as you can...no need to commit to anything yet, you've got it ALL ahead of you.

I dont have an art class in school, we never learn sculpting in there, only drawing, and ive gotten decent at that. But my main problem is symmetry when sculpting. It always comes out wrong and I see too many flaws. But i've been sculpting with modeling clay for years since I was 9.