Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Welcome Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Level 2 user

Hello All

Hello,
My name is Brandon, I live in Tucson, Az. I graduated from the University of Arizona with a BFA in sculpture in 2004 (dang, 4 years already? Time is flying). I work with anything I can get my hands on, mainly steel weldments. I have done bronze and alum castings, wood carvings and some plastic works as well.

As bad as this sounds, I have not produced much in the last few years, with all of life's stresses, the birth of my daughter, the loss of my house (the magic of adjustable rate mortgages), I have become stagnant in my work. My sketch book is always at hand, and my brain is full of tons of stuff, just need to let it all out.

I am going to start playing with some simple casting in the garage, low tech stuff, like resin...using low tech molds like silicone and plaster and see what kinda of a mess I can make...The juices are flowing, time to get my hands dirty again....

-B
Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 PM
ISC Member

Re: Hello All

Welcome, Brandon.

Get out there and make some work! Nothing like losing yourself in the craft to forget your worries
Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Sculptor

I agree with Julianna, and you'll see similar stories across this board. Just keep working, and hope things will get better. It's the only way to go, as long as you can keep it up. Keep your costs low.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Level 2 user

Brandon: You have been through a lot. One great joy and one major disappointment at least. It may sound trite but those life experiences can make you better. You will make great art if you can take those feelings and somehow express them in whatever medium you feel is appropriate. Can't wait to see what you do with all that life inside you. All the best.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Level 10 user

Scrap steel is at record lows right now. The lazy recycling bums wont touch it cause its too much work. Get yerself a cheap buzzbox and tangle with some of that. Its practically free. Steel likes to weather your storms for you. Get after it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Level 2 user

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I spent the weekend cleaning my garage. Best part of loosing my house, is the one we are now renting has a garage and much more space. So I now have studio space. I broke out the plastaline and just let my fingers do the walking. Came up with a plant/flower like form that is pretty interesting. So I will work with that form for a while and try to figure out where it came from, some times I can, some times I cant...

I have a great job working as a CNC programmer for a small metal fab shop. We have two lasers and one punch that I program, along with doing some welding, machining, painting, making deliveries, sandblasting...anything needed to get the parts out the door. So I do have an almost limitless supply of scrap in pretty much any material at my fingertips. I have a 110v Lincoln MIG at the house. I just needed to get the space cleaned so I have room to work, that's done. The 1st project will be a new work bench with a steel plate on one end so I have a sturdy welding table....

Onward, upward....

-B
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Level 1 user

oh I love laser scrap. The negative forms left over from the parts aswell as the drops are heaven take as much as you can. I once welded in a similar shop and I was allowed to take as much as I wanted what a treasure.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM

B.
Make sure you install some kind of ventilation to protect your brain cells. sounds like you have lots of good experience and resources. Congratulations on getting up and running.
JAZ